What do you tell people

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha that was about 3 years ago and having since developed a much better relationship with my instructor, given the context I think it's much more likely that he'll laugh at me & call me a tool rather than run me through with the closest katana :) Plus I'm pretty sure I've mentioned to him already...

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Haha that was about 3 years ago and having since developed a much better relationship with my instructor, given the context I think it's much more likely that he'll laugh at me & call me a tool rather than run me through with the closest katana :) Plus I'm pretty sure I've mentioned to him already...

Are you sure? Let's ask him.

Hey Chris, question for you...

:)

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
One second, I'm searching for some embarrassing photos....

I'm sure I can bring some into class if you really wanted to see them for a laugh... there is actually ONE good one though where I achieve the ultimate ninja feat and disappear into thin air... Actually I'm standing on Southbank with the black of the river behind me (was about 11pm in the middle of winter) and you can barely see the toes of my tabi and nothing else :)

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You do that, and I'll be forced to bring in my old wooden straight "ninja sword"..... so let's save ourselves the embarrassment, yeah?

Rayban

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure I can bring some into class if you really wanted to see them for a laugh... there is actually ONE good one though where I achieve the ultimate ninja feat and disappear into thin air... Actually I'm standing on Southbank with the black of the river behind me (was about 11pm in the middle of winter) and you can barely see the toes of my tabi and nothing else :)

Was that Amaranth? Cosplay is fun.

Been reading up and thinking about what I tell people and to be honest nothing comes to mind. I've told a few people (literally three people) that I train Ninjutsu and after the mandatory 30 minute discussions about "ninj-u-tsu not ninj-i-tsu" I just kinda gave up telling people. I've been asked before if I train anything and I just say "not really, I'm just interested in MA".

Besides, I thought it best to hide your true talents until they are needed :D

grav3h3art

White Belt
Reaction score
If they ask me what Im currently training at.... I always say Ninpo and BJJ, then they have that sudden face of " WTF is that!!??". Unfortunately I have to explain what it is afterwards U.u

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
I someone ever ask what Im doing. I just say I do karate or something.
atleast I wont get the wierd look or people joking about being a ninja.
If on the other hand I know they train in MA i tell them I study ninjutsu.
martial artist are usually really interested and want to know more about the art.
atleast then I can avoid those stupid jokes about vanishing in a cloud of smoke and stuff.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have Tattoo's of the ryu, and people always see them and go "oooh, whassat say?"

I usually reply

"Free Tibet!"

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have Tattoo's of the ryu, and people always see them and go "oooh, whassat say?"

I usually reply

"Free Tibet!"

I -really- doubt that Soke (or my sensei) would approve of members getting tattoos using names of our organization or systems.
And since my sensei majored in Japanology, I doubt I could fool him. :)

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh and just to clarify my last sentence, I actually had one guy who asked me if we had to wait till we were black belts before we learnt to "transmorgify" into animals and levitate and the like. I suggested he seek help....

I would have told him we don't get to that stuff until 2nd Dan... but I'm a smartass, so what do you expect?

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I -really- doubt that Soke (or my sensei) would approve of members getting tattoos using names of our organization or systems.
And since my sensei majored in Japanology, I doubt I could fool him. :)

Good thing I'm not in your organization and don't have to answer to them then. *whew* ;)

OP
Supra Vijai

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah I dunno if I'd get the school name or specific ryu-ha names tattooed... I do have a custom designed tiger in mid leap with the nin kanji on it's chest tattooed to my arm though.... I designed it a couple of years ago when students were asked to take part in a little friendly competition to design the new school logo and I based in on the idea of Koto... didn't win :(

DuskB4Dawn

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is a brilliant idea. all senior students should be made to get a tattoo of the schools emblem to swear illegence to the school. than they would be marked for life and the only way out would be death mwahaha

Kumori Ryu Ninja

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yea, Im not gonna lie, Ive thought about getting the Nin Kanji Tattooed...
Still not sure though... It will probably happen someday...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good thing I'm not in your organization and don't have to answer to them then. *whew* ;)

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to say that in regard to you as a person or a practicioner.
But regarding the tats it is possibly true. Soke is a very traditional man, and tattoos are still something which is associated with shady people in Japan.

Although noone would give you grief over it, they'd just disapprove. And even then it wouldn't be an issue (I guess) unless you trained long and hard enough that anyone higher up would notice you.

I didn't mean to imply that you wouldn't be welcome in our club.

Latest Discussions