What do you carry in your car? for protection?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, What do you car in your car with you at all times for protection?

We have several flashlights (glove compartment,center console and back of car...emergencies...and light for hitting and blindness...to attacker..(small hand held ones)

pocket knifes to cut seat belts (in case trap)...and ? glove and center console...

The one I like is a 6 "C" cell Mag light (long enough and skinny enought for a club like weapon) ...and legal to carry as a flashlight!

We were told if carrying a baseball bat? ...make sure you have a baseball and glove too.....(maybe home base too?)

Bowling ball NOT recommended.....? to big a ball? and some has holes in them....

Tire iron is popular and most cars have them, but usually carry in the trunk.....

Things that are legal to carry and is not consider a dangerous weapon in the eyes of the law...(but has other uses too?) ...chain saw? or rake? ...maybe a hoe?

Aloha ( long screw drivers, hammers, long wrenches....and so on..?

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry my sense of not going where I shouldn't be. I always lock my doors when traveling. I have my cell phone ready. I practice defensive driving because accidents happen and although I know I am a good driver, I am not too sure of the others out there.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me and my cell phone, that is always enough.

I carry my sense of not going where I shouldn't be. I always lock my doors when traveling. I have my cell phone ready. I practice defensive driving because accidents happen and although I know I am a good driver, I am not too sure of the others out there.

What they said. I don't make it a practice to carry weapons.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
I've got a 4D maglite behind the front seat, and there is usually a lockable folder in arms reach, but I usually carry better tools on me.

Lamont

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sometimes I leave my escrima sticks in the car, but that's more for convenience than anything.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never carried a weapon on me or in my car... unless I was going to a martial arts class.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well... in my work car, I carry lots of stuff.:biggun::uzi::bazook:

In my personal car... I carry a flashlight, and a cell phone. (I am frequently carrying a gun, on or off the clock.)

What do I recommend? Carry a good light, 4 D-cell or so Maglite or similar light large, tough flashlight. Carry a cell phone. (Even a phone with no paid service can call 911 in the US.) Especially if you live and drive around water or swamps, carry something to break a window. A spring loaded centerpunch will do it, even if you can't swing it, and is cheaper than some of the special gadgets on the market. Carry some flares and reflectors -- because there are times when you don't want a fire and times when reflectors aren't particularly visible.

If you're carrying sporting equipment -- don't be stupid. That includes martial arts training gear. Nobody's gonna buy that bat stashed underneath the driver seat is there for playing ball -- even if you have a baseball & glove in the car. Same thing with any sort of stick; if it's stashed somewhere accessible to the driver suddenly... it's weapon. If it's in a training bag, with other martial arts gear? It's a piece of sporting equipment.

Now, you may have noticed that most of what I've suggested is geaed toward coping with an accident, not a violent attack. Why, you ask? BECAUSE IT'S MUCH, MUCH MORE LIKELY YOU'LL BE IN A CRASH THAN ATTACKED. Especially if you practice the principle so eloquently stated by Lisa. Try to stay out of dangerous places, as much as you can. Lock the doors. If you must go somewhere dangerous... keep your windows as much as you can.

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Cds(Look at what the Sade cd did to the Zombie in Shaun of the dead)
Trash(biological warefare devices) Cellphone(to call for back up)
Pens(to write on my opponents face)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The back seat of my car looks like most peoples I quess: a tire iron (in case of a flat), a open bag of sticks and a uniform, a rope, a long bar used to hold the hood up and whatever happens to be tosed back there each day

ktaylor75

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just my cell phone, unless I am going hiking in the woods alone, then I will have my survival knife with me, but that is about it.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weapon of choice in the West Front trenches WWI and the East Front WWII was the military issue entrenching tool.

I happen to have one in the SUV for stormy nights like this one, and have dug myself out of being stuck in the snow twice. That actually is what I keep it for, and it comes out of the vehicle when Winter passes. Could be used for self defence.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I guess I am now one of the few that carries very much at all.

Baseball bat, 6 D Brinkman flashlight, seatbelt cutter, cell phone(most effective tool, not weapon), my tactical knife, on occasion(Short barrel shotgun-not sawed off, and/or my handgun). Since it is now legal to carry with a CCH/CCW liscence I will carry a handgun, but not often. I know that many say they avoid the"places they should not be", but not all crime happens in the less than desirable areas.

Prpare for the worst, hope for the best.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have my cell phone with me the majority of the time when I'm in the car. If I'm in a bad section or an area I'm not too familiar with, I don't hesitate to lock the doors. Additionally, I like to keep some distance between me and the car in front of me.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Just a note: It was a police officer telling us if you are going to carry a baseball bat in your car? ...just make sure you have a glove and ball too! At a special class for the "JC"S) years ago...."JAYCEES".

Common sense says you are carrying it for protection....BUT the law says you are allow to carry sports equitment like a baseball bat, glove in your car...LEGALLY!

Using a baseball bat....to hit a person...maybe consider a weapon? ...a ball..NO (just make sure the bad guy is holding the ball?) .oops's..kidding here..

Aloha, ( I do not have a baseball bat...)

PS: Main thing is? ...anything can be turn into a self-defense tool...."UNLIMITED HERE!"

..a cup of hot coffee...umbrella...SOUNDS-including a loud voice?

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A box of condoms.
icon12.gif

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I don't intentionally carry any weapons in my car, however, I am rarely without a pocket knife, they just come in handy so often. I also leave a pair of escrima sticks in the pocket on the back of the driver's seat, not because I am afraid I might need them as weapons, but, because my Sifu will, from time to time decide we are going to use sticks in class and it is better to have mine then use the crappy loaner sticks he keeps in the dojo.

tntma12

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I dont keep any weapons in my car either, most times they can be more trouble than help.

Latest Discussions