What are you hiding in your car?

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
My uncle keeps a tire iron under the front seat of his car for "changing tires on people's heads" as he puts it.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I have a sure fire flash light, and a ratan walking cane that has a tight enough crook in the handle to catch wrist, ankles and weapons with.

I also always have my spyderco police model knife in my front pocket.

I figure the old man cane looks low pro enough to cary in the cabin of the car with no worries of an officer questioning it. I also figure the combo of self defense tools my car and I have should cover most possible attack scenarios other then a fire arm.

Cringe Schrapnel

White Belt
Reaction score
most of the times a couple of knives and a club like thing or two and a telescopic baton in the little storage area on the inside door panel...but my favorite not hidden thing is a little piece of rebar in the little change holder thing on the dash in the old car between the front seats great little improvised yawara or kubaton what ever you want to call it and if it comes up it's just a piece of old rusty rebar i found on the ground when i was getting in my car

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had a dagger in the boot. The said dagger was in a padlocked box, would that be considered concealed?

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
PS the old school anti theft device called the club makes for another low pro weapon that divides in to two individual club like devices.

Cringe Schrapnel

White Belt
Reaction score
PS the old school anti theft device called the club makes for another low pro weapon that divides in to two individual club like devices.
a friend of mine ground the end of the shiney rebar looking part of one of those into sharp point as well, so he had the two clubs and one was a little bit stabby.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I had a dagger in the boot. The said dagger was in a padlocked box, would that be considered concealed?
You would have to check your local laws. Here it would be ok. I have no clue about where you live.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's certainly concealed, as well as being completely inaccessible (and useless) in a crisis.
Whether or not that's something you can legally do depends on where you are, but I'd suspect that there are few places where you cannot have a knife, locked in a box, locked in the boot (for non-UK readers, the boot is the trunk of the car...).

Personally, I'll have a gun within reach in anyplace where it's legal to do so. I have a holster mounted under the dash in every vehicle. My normally carry is IWB, behind the right hip. This isn't comfortable in most cars (definitely not in the Vette) and it's awkward to access the weapon. So under the dash it goes.
I also generally have a pocket knife with me. Usually my Benchmade Autostryker or Cammilus CUDA.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I keep nothing in my car. I keep a gun on me almost always

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
changed cars in the last couple of years but my walking stick?cane is always in it between the seats. there might be a knife on me or within reach. Any other weapons that might be in the car I would not be talking about as they would be hidden if there

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I never understood the club knife or stick under the seat thing. How are you supposed to access it. If you in the car you cant really swing a sick around. If your out of the car you cant run back to your car. In my opinion your better to just have your weapon of choice on you not hidden away in your car

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
maybe a different thread but I walk with my cane even if I may not need it. As far as having one under the seat I agree with Ballen on that point. My weapons are always within reach or on me

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I do not carry weapons in my car, and as a rule I don't recommend carrying weapons under most common circumstances. Now about that "Club" brand steering wheel lock ...I keep this kind next to me:

http://www.atlantisgadgets.com/images/Club Security Steering Wheel with key.JPG

I still use it to lock my truck steering wheel when parking in bad areas. Other useful objects to have close at hand in your vehicle include a long, heavy mag-light, a tire iron, and a compact or folding shovel:

http://www.swordsknivesanddaggers.com/b835/A12-UC8017-400.jpg

All these are useful and totally legal to have in your car as functional tools, and none are intended as weapons. Yet with a little training, all can be employed for self defense if attacked.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My license, registration, water, blanket, flares and usually some cookies.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not carry weapons in my car, and as a rule I don't recommend carrying weapons under most common circumstances. Now about that "Club" brand steering wheel lock ...I keep this kind next to me:

I, on the other hand, recommend that those who have the legal right and the training to use them carry a weapon as much as possible.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You would have to check your local laws. Here it would be ok. I have no clue about where you live.

He'd probably be alright unless he gave police grounds for searching his car, if they did and found the dagger he'd be in trouble unless he could prove it was needed for a specific activity. I can't think of any reason for carrying one dagger though.
This would go for anything that looked like a weapon ie a baseball bat unless one proved one played the game. Definitely nothing sharpened specifically either. As Geezer said things that aren't weapons would be fine.
Chefs, fishermen etc can carry knives here no problems in fact anyone can carry a knife if they can prove they use/need it for work.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He'd probably be alright unless he gave police grounds for searching his car, if they did and found the dagger he'd be in trouble unless he could prove it was needed for a specific activity. I can't think of any reason for carrying one dagger though.
This would go for anything that looked like a weapon ie a baseball bat unless one proved one played the game. Definitely nothing sharpened specifically either. As Geezer said things that aren't weapons would be fine.
Chefs, fishermen etc can carry knives here no problems in fact anyone can carry a knife if they can prove they use/need it for work.

Could argue that a dagger is for work :D yeah see what you mean.

tkdwarrior

Green Belt
Reaction score
A heavy duty metal boxcutter, heavy duty screwdriver, all within reach or on me.

Latest Discussions