what do u believe is the best dicipline and why?

J

jjmcc

What do you think is the best arts for self defence and why? i believe the best arts are a mixture so it helps you deal with a wide range of situations how do u feel about this? :jedi1:

OP
J

jjmcc

looking from a self defence point of view

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
what do u believe is the best dicipline and why?

Time outs work pretty well. If things still continue to go wrong, removal of things that my daughter enjoys.

Oh...s'not what you meant..

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
here we go again what is best Art for self defense and why. The issue really is what is best for the individual and how can they use what they learned, not the art itself.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
jjmcc, I see your style is kupso...

I've never heard about this, could you share a little about your style with us?

An Eternal Student

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Dont think there is any one best style, because no style covers all eventualities.I'd go with the mixture as well.

OP
J

jjmcc

Hi there Big Nick
Kupso means pressure point in Okinawan we study the use of energys using pressure points and chi disruption.
we study :Ao Denkou Jitsu: Chung Do Kwan: TKD: SEACS (south east asian combat systems) : Tai Chi Chuan: Silat: Kali: Bagua.

OP
V

Vadim

I believe the individual is what makes each style unique. Most importantly the state of mind of the person in a conflict situation can either escalate or de-escalate a situation. Whatever particular style you practice and you are faced with a situation that you must defend yourself or another do so to the best of your ability. Dont allow rage to cloud your judgment and get into a situation that can injure you severly or worst cost you your life. I guess the point of this is to train hard in whatever style you choose the best that you possibly can, but keep in mind that not all situations need to be resolved with violence.

-Vadim

OP
J

jjmcc

i fully agree with you Vadim as you can train in any martial art for many years but when you are faced with the reality that you have to defend yourself you get that adrenalin dump and all that youve trained for goes out the window. So i think if you have the chance to resolve the situation without violence you should take it (Fight or Flight)

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Muay Thai is about the best self defence art because you learn to fight very quickly with no bull techniques. Or if you like to grapple brazillian jiu jitsu.

dmdfromhamilton

Orange Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Muay Thai is about the best self defence art because you learn to fight very quickly with no bull techniques. Or if you like to grapple brazillian jiu jitsu.

Yes if you want to learn to defend yourself quickly i agree, however if you don't mind spending alot of time learning self defence many good traditional/semi-traditional martial arts provide good coverage. Kenpo, Dahn Moo Do/Kuk sool Won/Hapkido, Well taught karate, Filipino mas can all be good self defence styles if time is put in them

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
terryl965 said:
here we go again what is best Art for self defense and why. The issue really is what is best for the individual and how can they use what they learned, not the art itself.
I think this is the best answer. People often ask me if Kenpo is better than TKD, TSD, or whatever. I've never trained in these systems, but I am smart enough to not just say "yes". When asked this type of question, I always tell people "it depends on the person studying the system". It's kind of like any pro sport, they are all good or they wouldn't be pro's. The thing is, some one has to sit the bench. Some people are better than others at what they do. That's why I can't stand it when I hear some one talk about how their purple or blue belts, or whatever color, can take some other systems BB. That purple belt may be first string and the BB may be a bench sitter. JMO.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I think this is the best answer. People often ask me if Kenpo is better than TKD, TSD, or whatever. I've never trained in these systems, but I am smart enough to not just say "yes". When asked this type of question, I always tell people "it depends on the person studying the system". It's kind of like any pro sport, they are all good or they wouldn't be pro's. The thing is, some one has to sit the bench. Some people are better than others at what they do. That's why I can't stand it when I hear some one talk about how their purple or blue belts, or whatever color, can take some other systems BB. That purple belt may be first string and the BB may be a bench sitter. JMO.
Very good point Nice thread!
smileJap.gif

OP
R

rainbows

It depends on the person more so than the art in my opinion.

OP
A

Aaron Little

After much thought I have decided that the perfect art is the one that is taught at Performance Edge Martial Arts in Lexington KY..........................................................................................................................................................………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………….at least for me that is.

The better question would be, what is the best art for you?

OP
T

The Prof

A question first! if I have a bazooka and you have a single shot 22 cal. rifle do I have the upper hand? The answer: Not if (with accuracy) you get your one shot off first.

I have said this for years, it's not the art that's superior, it's the artist. People have always asked me which art I thought was the best. In a moment, I always answer, "Ju Jitsu." But then I immediately add on, "for me, for me, Ju Jitsu is the best." For others, Karate is best, Kung Fu is best etc. If I am more skilled than they are, they will lose, if they are more skilled than I am, I will lose. It's not the art, it's the practitioner. I guess that that's a good reason to stay on top of your game. I could be wrong, but It makes sense to me.

jjmcc said:
What do you think is the best arts for self defence and why? i believe the best arts are a mixture so it helps you deal with a wide range of situations how do u feel about this? :jedi1:

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have a question. What exactly do you mean by "the best system for self defense"? Do you mean, what system works the best, or do you mean, what system is the most self defense focused. I mean lets face it, some system are less self defense focused than others.

OP
T

The Prof

Hi Shane

You are absolutely right.

Prof

shane23ss said:

shane23ss

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks terryl and The Prof. I usually get that dumb founded look from people when I give that answer. I think that when they ask me that, they usually expect me to say "KENPO!!, WATCH THIS!" then jump up in the air, do 10 or 12 kicks before landing then break a brick with my head.:idunno:

Latest Discussions