what do u believe is the best dicipline and why?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you're welcome shane
icon14.gif

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
Thanks terryl and The Prof. I usually get that dumb founded look from people when I give that answer. I think that when they ask me that, they usually expect me to say "KENPO!!, WATCH THIS!" then jump up in the air, do 10 or 12 kicks before landing then break a brick with my head.:idunno:
What? You dont do that?

:D

I agree with you and The Prof. Not all arts are equally focused on all things, and the artist is more important than the art.

A good example is the MMA competitions. You look at how each fighter performs, rather than what style they study. You dont say 'Oh, this guy learns jiu jitsu, so he must win'.

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I realize it is the artist that makes all the difference, but I would put my money on a thai fighter or a BJJ fighter any day over most ALL other styles. Most other styles, simply put, just dont seem to be able to hang with them.
But hey, anything can happen in a fight, one well placed shot can end it. But Ill still have more faith in MT and BJJ.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
I realize it is the artist that makes all the difference, but I would put my money on a thai fighter or a BJJ fighter any day over most ALL other styles. Most other styles, simply put, just dont seem to be able to hang with them.
But hey, anything can happen in a fight, one well placed shot can end it. But Ill still have more faith in MT and BJJ.
Here is my problem with your statements, (there is nothing wrong with the arts that you mentioned) but if any style is taught correctly than it is a complete style and it is than the practitioner not the style. Not to mention that Thai is mainly for sport (not to say it can't be used on the street because it can) and so is BJJ. In the real world there is no rules, you have weapons, friends, etc.... to look out for. I mean take for example BJJ ( Just so you know I thank everyone sould have some grappling experience) if they fumble around on the ground to long, I don't know about your friends but ine will deffinately jump on them. Lots of factors to consider if these were truly the most effective styles of fighting they would have been the only ones to stand the test of time. Once again its all about what you are looking for(self defense, or competition), what will suit your needs, but most importantly the individual.

OP
J

jjmcc

YES i agree that it is not the art but the student to a certain extent but in a real situation outside in the street if you have 3 guys ready to beat down on you and in your face what good is tkd when it is mostly kicking techniques then judo which is grappling you cannot afford to be rolling around on the floor when theres more than 1 attacker and in tkd there isnt really any close combat techniques. So my question is in this sort of situation what martial art do you feel would give you the best chance ? :supcool:

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
in close range southern mantis, but thats just me. Just in the art, they have very short movements that dont need alot of space to apply a technique.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
jjmcc said:
YES i agree that it is not the art but the student to a certain extent but in a real situation outside in the street if you have 3 guys ready to beat down on you and in your face what good is tkd when it is mostly kicking techniques then judo which is grappling you cannot afford to be rolling around on the floor when theres more than 1 attacker and in tkd there isnt really any close combat techniques.

Are we talking arts of self defense? A PURE TKD person may not have much inside, but they're also smart enough to know that and not let the person get inside. A PURE judo or JiuJitsu person is going to start tossing people around (most likely into each other) if they get in range, but is hopefully smart enough to not start rolling with multiple opponents around.

jjmcc said:
So my question is in this sort of situation what martial art do you feel would give you the best chance ? :supcool:
No one system has all the answers. Some emphasize certain ranges or certain strikes. The only person who can truely answer your question is you, because you're the only one who knows your limitations.

OP
J

jjmcc

OUMoose said:
Are we talking arts of self defense? A PURE TKD person may not have much inside, but they're also smart enough to know that and not let the person get inside. A PURE judo or JiuJitsu person is going to start tossing people around (most likely into each other) if they get in range, but is hopefully smart enough to not start rolling with multiple opponents around.

No one system has all the answers. Some emphasize certain ranges or certain strikes. The only person who can truely answer your question is you, because you're the only one who knows your limitations.

Good post OUmoose...

DeLamar.J

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
ppko said:
Here is my problem with your statements, (there is nothing wrong with the arts that you mentioned) but if any style is taught correctly than it is a complete style and it is than the practitioner not the style. Not to mention that Thai is mainly for sport (not to say it can't be used on the street because it can) and so is BJJ. In the real world there is no rules, you have weapons, friends, etc.... to look out for. I mean take for example BJJ ( Just so you know I thank everyone sould have some grappling experience) if they fumble around on the ground to long, I don't know about your friends but ine will deffinately jump on them. Lots of factors to consider if these were truly the most effective styles of fighting they would have been the only ones to stand the test of time. Once again its all about what you are looking for(self defense, or competition), what will suit your needs, but most importantly the individual.

Your right about a style being taught correctly, but the fact is most thai fighters train alot harder than alot of other styles, they train how they fight, and that sets them apart from most. There are some great kung fu and karate schools out there that also train hard and train as they fight, but they are far and few.
In a fight the possibilities are endless, and no style will have you covered 100%, but a muay thai fighter will hand most other martial artists there butts more often than not.

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
DeLamar.J said:
Your right about a style being taught correctly, but the fact is most thai fighters train alot harder than alot of other styles, they train how they fight, and that sets them apart from most. There are some great kung fu and karate schools out there that also train hard and train as they fight, but they are far and few.
In a fight the possibilities are endless, and no style will have you covered 100%, but a muay thai fighter will hand most other martial artists there butts more often than not.
Good post

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
JKD.. because we train to counter all other arts we can expose ourselves to, and to remain without prejudice as to techniques.. we use what works and discard what does not in the real world. Modern JKD concepts from folks like Paul Vunak and Tom Cruise also stress weapons, offense and defense, even improvised weapons.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Verbal communcations not taught in many martial arts, is the best of the best! To win without phyical fighting makes a good win-win sitution. Don't you think? Talking about it can make the incidents more peacefull?
.....Aloha

AC_Pilot

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I train to fight when the talking is over or is not applicable. The assumption is that talking it out may have merit if it's just a disagreement. There's no talking it out with a mugger, murderer, a guy intent on mangling you at the bar, or a rapist IMO. You must act.

Colin_Linz

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Without a doubt it would be Shorinji Kempo.:rolleyes:

I don’t like a mix of styles. Usually there is just too much difference, and they conflict with each other. My choice would be one style that covers a range of strategies and techniques that are designed to work in harmony with each other.

OP
J

jjmcc

AC_Pilot said:
I train to fight when the talking is over or is not applicable. The assumption is that talking it out may have merit if it's just a disagreement. There's no talking it out with a mugger, murderer, a guy intent on mangling you at the bar, or a rapist IMO. You must act.

I totally agree spot on post :supcool: