what being a true martial artist is about

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
hello guy's so im going to tell yall what i believe being a true martial artist and black belt is about. ok there is more to being a martial artist then self defence and the ufc champon being a martial artist is a way of life and is my way of life to me. a good black belt is some one with the'' i never give up additude'' and who posseses the power to believe in himself to gain confidence in himself. a martial artist carries with him the passion, persevirence, willpower, knowledge, wisdom, belief. a black belt must train constantly to get better by giving more in an area he's struggling in, life, relationship, or anything he wants to do in life. consistancy is one of the most important things a martial artist needs to get better in martial arts and life itself. you must eat healthy to be a good martial artist too. this is my quote"A black belt is nothing more than a belt that goes around your waist. Being a black belt is a state of mind and attitude.”
- Rick English

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
One of the MA DVDs I have has a sign in the background on the dojo wall ... "A Black Belt is a White Belt who never gave up".
icon14.gif

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some good points there. "The difference between the possible and the impossible is one`s will" is one of my favoirite sayings.
I would like to say that it is important to remember to enjoy life too. Have a few beers, enjoy a feast, get laid etc.

Heck even monks do this once in a while, and they really know how to party ;)

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some good points there. "The difference between the possible and the impossible is one`s will" is one of my favoirite sayings.
I would like to say that it is important to remember to enjoy life too. Have a few beers, enjoy a feast, get laid etc.

Heck even monks do this once in a while, and they really know how to party ;)
No BB required there, although some might rank very high..............
icon12.gif

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hello guy's so im going to tell yall what i believe being a true martial artist and black belt is about. ok there is more to being a martial artist then self defence and the ufc champon being a martial artist is a way of life and is my way of life to me. a good black belt is some one with the'' i never give up additude'' and who posseses the power to believe in himself to gain confidence in himself. a martial artist carries with him the passion, persevirence, willpower, knowledge, wisdom, belief. a black belt must train constantly to get better by giving more in an area he's struggling in, life, relationship, or anything he wants to do in life. consistancy is one of the most important things a martial artist needs to get better in martial arts and life itself. you must eat healthy to be a good martial artist too. this is my quote"A black belt is nothing more than a belt that goes around your waist. Being a black belt is a state of mind and attitude.”
- Rick English

This is what I would have said, Rick, but you said it so eloquently, all I could do was echo your words. Very nice.......

A true martial artist is about the power to believe in himself, to gain confidence in himself. He carries with him the passion, perseverance, willpower, knowledge, wisdom, belief, to get better, by giving more in an area he's struggling in, life, relationship, or anything he wants to do in life. Being a black belt is a state of mind and attitude.”
- Rick English

We all know that a little martial arts everyday will improve our physical talent, but by living your words above, will make you the best person you could ever be.:asian:

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I believe in Gichin Funakoshi's words: "The purpose of karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of the participants."

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
Having a black belt means honesty , integrity , courage , kindness and above all

MAKING SURE IT GOES WITH YOUR OUTFIT.

29168P-Plus-Size-Pilgrim-Man-Costume-main.jpg

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
To me being a martial artist is all about becoming a powerful person.

Here's a saying!:

'Only a warrior chooses pacifism. Others are condemned to it."

I'm afraid i don't know who said it, but i like it!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Do not hurt where holding is enough;
do not wound where hurting is enough;
do not maim where wounding is enough;
and kill not where maiming is enough;
the greatest warrior is one who does not need to kill."
--Berek’s Code, The Illearth War By Stephen R. Donaldson

Levels of control are vital, along with knowing when to use which level. I would add a couple of levels to the top, on the order of "do not speak when leaving is enough / do not hold where speaking is enough".

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i believe in that too.

I don't. Martial arts doesn't make me a better person, my beliefs and how I behave according to those beliefs do.
Martial arts makes me fitter, more able to defend myself and others as well as being physically stronger.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't. Martial arts doesn't make me a better person, my beliefs and how I behave according to those beliefs do.
Martial arts makes me fitter, more able to defend myself and others as well as being physically stronger.

heck no, it wont necessarily make one better THAT was brought home to me by a certain sandan i knew.

but maybe funakoshi was talking about that people should strive for that.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heck no, it wont necessarily make one better THAT was brought home to me by a certain sandan i knew.

but maybe funakoshi was talking about that people should strive for that.

You can certainly strive to be a 'better' person, and I have to say I hate that expression it's used primararily by people who want to put you down, but karate doesn't contain the elements to make a 'whole' person. It can advocate discipline, physical fitness etc but lacks a great many other things peole consider virtues simply because there's not a place in it for them. I doubt very much Funakoshi mean that, in Japan religion,belief etc is far more tied into everyday life than it is in the west.They live their lives as a whole rather than compartmentalise everything.
One 'bad sandan' does not indicate anything to do with martial arts, it's more to do with being human.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score

+1.

I realized a long time ago that I am who I am.
Martial arts doesn't change that. It is only a way in which you can express yourself in the way you behave. But it doesn't bring out things that aren't already there.

Narges

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I suppose it differs from person to person, but MA has helped me become a MUCH better person. I wouldn't be who I am today without Karate. Maybe it's because of my age, or the state I was in when I started.

Latest Discussions