success series how to be more successful in martial arts

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
ok now im going to tell you how to be a successful martial artist.
i learned this from my instructor during our leadership class at my martial arts academy.
if you want to get better you must give more in life, training, martial arts, relationship's, and studying. i learned this from my martial arts instructor Mr Garret. my instructor said to me and our leadership students " what i mean by give more i mean push yourself harder" that's what my instructor said and it was during our success series. i alway's push myself even harder when i get tired from punching and kicking. i learned that if i want to be a better martial artist i must give more energy, speed, and technique to my punches and kicks.

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You REALLY need to work on the way you write your sentences. Just because you've taken a leadership class doesn't mean you know everything there is to know. You also need to realize that the people reading this messages, a lot of us have been doing MA longer than you've been alive. A lot of people here have had their black belt and been teaching longer than you've been alive. It's good that you like martial arts, but you continually come off at the start of every thread you make as attempting to lecture us as 'this is THE way you do things'. It turns me off to wanting to read your posts, and I bet I'm not the only one.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well to be fair he does say he learnt it from his instructor so perhaps it's not entirely his fault? Young impressionable minds are often entranced by instructors, it's a good thing to give your students confidence but it's another to make them think they know more than they do. For students like Eggg, there are only absolutes, it's black or white nothing in between, his instructor has put him on a leadership programme therefore he's a leader, Eggg takes literally everything than he's taught. If the instructor says he's a high belt, he is etc. if he's told he's got some experience he takes it he is experienced, there's no shades of grey. Difficult for everyone I know but if we persevere I think we can come to understanding, hope so anyway.

Eggg, think of the post you made about being a martial artist and how humilty is part of that, we have loads of people here who have a lot more experience than you or I, you need to make your posts sound as if they aren't lecturing people, think back to how martials should behave and you'll get the right tone in your posts.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have a bit of a differing view. I try to be where I need to be when I need to be there with the best effeciency, then I don't need to worry about energy and speed. :)

Its great that you respect your instructor and what to pass along what he says. Be careful though, many of us have been doing martial arts for many years. It might be better to phrase your post as a view of what you have gained from martial arts training instead of like you are trying to give advice. It'll be recieved much better.

When I was a kid, my grandfather told us grandkids that we had two ears and one mouth. That meant god wanted us to listen twice as much as we talk. It is such good advice I tell kids I teach the same thing.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of a differing view. I try to be where I need to be when I need to be there with the best effeciency, then I don't need to worry about energy and speed. :)

Its great that you respect your instructor and what to pass along what he says. Be careful though, many of us have been doing martial arts for many years. It might be better to phrase your post as a view of what you have gained from martial arts training instead of like you are trying to give advice. It'll be recieved much better.

When I was a kid, my grandfather told us grandkids that we had two ears and one mouth. That meant god wanted us to listen twice as much as we talk. It is such good advice I tell kids I teach the same thing.

Good advice!

We get people into our club sometimes who think they have to exaggerate their martial arts experience to us as we won't want them or let them into the club if they are beginners. We like beginners, it's exciting to be able to pass on knowledge and techniques and people who know nothing about martial arts are always welcome into our club, it's the same with the forum here, we are all beginners in something, and you don't have to be experienced or even knowledgable for us to listen to and to like you.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
We all start as beginners, so we all know what it is like. Many beginners think the horizon is the limit. Students like that are usually fun to work with and hard workers. New people also haven't heard our advice and stories before, so we get someone who is actually paying attention when we talk :)

I always thought it is amusing the guys who come in inflating thier experience. Most of the time you can tell just by listening to them. All the time you can tell after trading hands with them.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find this guy's threads funny. He seems to think he's breaking new ground and revealing things non of us know.

I guess being young and thinking nobody knows anything because you yourself just found out is the reason.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Eggg will find balance here if we help him :)

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
don't you ever critisize me again you think you can talk to me that way. you know nothing about my instructor or what i learned. you have no right to critisize me im not afread of you. being a martial artist is about believeing in yourself and thats what you lack is the cureage to believe in yourself and never give up that is my martial arts way. you can say whatever you want about me but you can not critisize me ever.

i don't think im superior you know. you know nothing about me or my life. you know what i see in you i see an egocentric jerk who makes others look bad. you know im not claiming to be an expert. you know im doing the best i can so DON'T EVER CRITISIZE ME EVER AGAIN

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Eggg, I am talking to you plainly and as a friend.

Because you have been doing martial arts for about a year, other people here will become offended when you make a post that appears to tell them about martial arts. You may not be aware that your posts read this way. When you say things like "I am going to tell you how" you come across as trying to tell others what to do. I'm guessing the majority of people on this board have been in martial arts for a minimum of several years.

And yes, being humble and having humility seems to be a martial artist's mindset.

Please keep these things in mind when you post.

I agree that you have been treated rudely here by several people. I'm sorry about that. I wouldn't have told you about this board if I thought you would be treated in such a fashion. I'm sending you a pm shortly.

Editing to Add - I know you are doing the best you can. If you don't think you can re-word your posts better, please say so. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK,

Before the thread goes down the drain, let me say a few things.

1) Eggg...if you havent read the forum rules, please take some time to do so. If you're having issues with someone, instead of firing back, report the post using the RTM feature. Its the little red triangle in the upper right hand corner of each post. It'll generate a report for the mods to look at.

2) As its been said many times already, please understand that there're people here, with alot of training and teaching experience. It seems like any time someone says something, you're taking it as a negative comment towards you, but again, keep in mind that it may not always be the case. Many times, I've noticed, people are giving you good advice, but you're reading it the wrong way.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
don't you ever critisize me again you think you can talk to me that way. you know nothing about my instructor or what i learned. you have no right to critisize me im not afread of you. being a martial artist is about believeing in yourself and thats what you lack is the cureage to believe in yourself and never give up that is my martial arts way. you can say whatever you want about me but you can not critisize me ever.

i don't think im superior you know. you know nothing about me or my life. you know what i see in you i see an egocentric jerk who makes others look bad. you know im not claiming to be an expert. you know im doing the best i can so DON'T EVER CRITISIZE ME EVER AGAIN
Wow! Overreact much?

Most people have tried to give you constructive criticism. I realize it's not fun when people tell you that you're making mistakes or not coming across clearly. You need to slow down, and take a few minutes thinking about how you present yourself when you post. All we know you by here is your posts. So, think about if you knew someone would be coming in to evaluate how you're doing helping teach at your club. You'd make sure you uniform was neat, and everything was in order, right? Maybe even make sure the mats were cleaned before you started... Well, when you post -- do the same sort of thing. Take a breath; look at it and see if it's saying what you mean to say. Use standard conventions of written grammar, like capitalization and paragraph breaks. I'd encourage you to read Strunk & White's The Elements of Style, and apply it to your writing, as well. (It's available in an on-line form here, or HERE. Do be careful; some of the on-line versions are the original 1918 book, and may be a little dated in some of the specific advice, though the principles are still generally sound.)

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
you know i just want to help people and nobody is giving me a chance to pass down my knowledge i wasn't trying to attract black belts you know. i just really hate bullies so much and people just keep critisizing me and all im trying to do is help

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Everyone, please step back and take a moment to reflect. In another thread it has been expressed that this individual is a young man who struggles with autism and is enthusiastic about martial arts. Let's all cut him some slack and see if we can make his experience here a positive one. thanks.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok now im going to tell you how to be a successful martial artist.
i learned this from my instructor during our leadership class at my martial arts academy.
if you want to get better you must give more in life, training, martial arts, relationship's, and studying. i learned this from my martial arts instructor Mr Garret. my instructor said to me and our leadership students " what i mean by give more i mean push yourself harder" that's what my instructor said and it was during our success series. i alway's push myself even harder when i get tired from punching and kicking. i learned that if i want to be a better martial artist i must give more energy, speed, and technique to my punches and kicks.

Yes, for the most part I'd say thats correct. Regarding the last part....I'd say that the most important thing is, having a solid understanding of the material you're doing. No matter how much energy or speed or power someone is putting into something, if its sloppy, all that other stuff won't make a bit of difference.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
you know i just want to help people and nobody is giving me a chance to pass down my knowledge i wasn't trying to attract black belts you know. i just really hate bullies so much and people just keep critisizing me and all im trying to do is help

Please take the time to read my other post here. Again, it seems that in some cases, you're taking the advice people are giving, as negative comments. Keep in mind, that we're reading what others are saying. We're not physically hearing what they're saying. That being said, many times, whats written online, can often be misunderstood by the person reading. It may be best, rather than to always take offense, to re-read what the person is saying, and if need be, ask for clarification.

OP
eggg1994

eggg1994

Orange Belt
Reaction score
you know guys im really sorry for the posts you know. i just want to help others you know and just because im a yellow belt on the internet doesn't mean im one in real life and pretty soon im going to get my high orange belt

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You might not see it ... but you're being a bully with the way you come across.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

This is a discussion forum, not a place for you to come and lecture to people with your massive well of knowledge based upon 1 year of training. It may seem all new to your and you may feel like you are helping, but really it's coming off as childish lecturing to people who's wealth of knowledge dwarfs yours significantly. Come lecture to me when you have 25 years in your style like myself.

Slipper

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You might not see it ... but you're being a bully with the way you come across.

I'll be honest. I'm not seeing Eggg as a bully. Perhaps because we've chatted in other places, I can read his posts better.