True Martial Artist.....

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is a TRUE martial artist. Enson Inoue on facebook.

"I know this journey will be long and hard and I want to be real. This is no ******** nor is it a joke but I'm going to demote myself to purple belt.

I got a black belt 18 years ago and as we all know BJJ is always evolving. I jumped off the BJJ bandwagon 10 years ago and it has pulled far far ahead.

I did the Purebred beginning class again today and again ALL the moves were new to me. Also my ...body has stiffened so much that I couldn't even move fluidly.

At the time I got promoted to black belt I was a black belt at that time. However, what BJJ has become I can honestly say I am NOT a black belt. Yeah it's cool to be a black belt but to me a true black belt should be technically and spiritually sound. I feel confident spiritually but not technically.

A black belt is not about status but about respecting the art of BJJ and for me to put a black belt on would be disrespecting the sport

So I'm officially a purple belt and this is where my journey back to BJJ will continue."

Attachments

• 13600213_1121265437912149_6597109087464033151_n.jpg
    13600213_1121265437912149_6597109087464033151_n.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 100
OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
His next comment...

"Lots of people going off on my decision to demote myself to purple belt after 18 years at black.

I hope you all understand that this wasn't something I decided on a whim. I gave it much thought and I came to this conclusion.

It is something I feel very strong about and if it wasn't I wouldn't be giving up a BJJ black belt, something many dream about obtaining. ...

Maybe I shouldn't have and maybe I should have just kept the black on because I did earn it but something just didn't feel right. I felt I was disrespecting the art and most of all I didn't feel I was being true to myself.

Don't get me wrong I didn't demote myself so I can enter tournaments and win a medal in purple belt because I will not compete until I earn my black belt back. Besides I didn't get back into it to compete but instead for exercise and flexibility. Competing again is secondary and if it happens, it happens.

So there many the respect my decision and many that disagree with it but the bottom line is I did what I thought was proper and what I felt was the right thing to do."

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would respect your decision either way. It's your journey, not mine. As long as you feel right about the decision, no one else's should matter. But I am curious why you decided to give up your current art, and why it didn't keep you flexible and keep your stamina up.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I would respect your decision either way. It's your journey, not mine. As long as you feel right about the decision, no one else's should matter. But I am curious why you decided to give up your current art, and why it didn't keep you flexible and keep your stamina up.
The ops not the one who said this he's just quoting enson Inoues facebook post

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a TRUE martial artist. Enson Inoue on facebook.

While I like his thoughts on it, in my book a TRUE martial artist (with capital letters like that) would have just done what he felt was right and not bothered to make a public announcement to get the approval of others.

Just my opinion.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
While I like his thoughts on it, in my book a TRUE martial artist (with capital letters like that) would have just done what he felt was right and not bothered to make a public announcement to get the approval of others.

Just my opinion.
Yeah got to agree it's not something he needed to post he could just turn up at his school and do it. The truth is how do we know this isn't just a post to say it there won't be any actual proof that he's done it.to me a true martial artist doesn't need to tell the world about his achievements or about how humble he is he just gets on with it and trains. It's like the old saying the toughest people are the ones who don't need to show how tough they are

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Just my opinion.
If he has been engaging his audience online, this would be a valid way of getting the message out. He might also have used this forum to ensure there were no rumors that he "got demoted". I've posted things before that I didn't think felt right as a post from my standpoint, but a post was the best way to get it to all the people who needed to see it. I used the medium that best fit the audience, rather than the one that best fit me. Perhaps he simply did the same.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If he has been engaging his audience online, this would be a valid way of getting the message out. He might also have used this forum to ensure there were no rumors that he "got demoted". I've posted things before that I didn't think felt right as a post from my standpoint, but a post was the best way to get it to all the people who needed to see it. I used the medium that best fit the audience, rather than the one that best fit me. Perhaps he simply did the same.

You could be entirely correct. However, the OP is the one that said "a TRUE martial artist" (with capital letters like that). In my head, people that fit that ideal don't have audiences, and so they don't engage them in social media. They also don't care if others think they may have gotten demoted. :)

This is why I made sure and specified that it was my opinion only.

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
You could be entirely correct. However, the OP is the one that said "a TRUE martial artist" (with capital letters like that). In my head, people that fit that ideal don't have audiences, and so they don't engage them in social media. They also don't care if others think they may have gotten demoted. :)

Especially someone with a name like inoue does why does he need to prove anything anyone who knows anything about it would know he wasnt demoted and if someone asked if he had he could simply explain his reasoning to them.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The ops not the one who said this he's just quoting enson Inoues facebook post

I keep telling myself not to come to MT while at work and have to read and make comments without reading and understanding everything. Maybe I'm just not smart enough to listen to myself. :eek: :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think sometimes you have to make the mental shift from expert to beginner to experience some cool new stuff.

Black belts really could benefit from taking some time off and being a color belt again.

And you may need that symbolic change to make that mental shift.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also if you do want to degrade yourself in a competitive world such as BJJ you probably must make a public statement. Otherwise people will not take you serious and if you do win a competition people will call it a cheat. In addition a lot of people will probably make up rumors that may damage him if he does not explain himself.

Now I believe this is an issue not seen in a lot of styles because they do not put as much value in belts. For BJJ the belt is a symbol of your skills in competition as well. Other martial arts a black belt can be crappy at fighting or sparring but know the techniques as well as any other.

I am guessing BJJ believes that you can only be a teacher if you are a true fighter. Some other arts I guess believes a teacher and a fighter does not necessarily have to be the same thing.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I don't see why a true (capitalized or not) martial artist would necessarily not have an audience. Every instructor has one, and some engage them partly online, in social media. If ey do, then an announcement or explanation there isn't much different from a public announcement at the dojo, except that it can reach all of the classes at once. And sometimes instructors discuss situations in order that students might take a lesson from them.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I basically did the same thing. I was offered to keep my black belt after a 15 year hiatus by my old organization. I declined, telling them that it would be a glorified Halloween costume. Had I stayed there, I wouldn't have accepted wearing a black belt without earning it back. I went to a different school in a different, but extremely similar organization (my old organization was started by 2 teachers who left my current organization), and started all over again as a white belt. I didn't base the decision to go to my current school over my previous organization due to rank; it was simply a better fit all around.

I guess what the guy's trying to say in a better way than I can is that a black belt nor proficiency are permanent. You earn the right to wear it and keep wearing it. Taking some time off due to injury or other important circumstances is one thing; being away for years is another thing.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I basically did the same thing. I was offered to keep my black belt after a 15 year hiatus by my old organization. I declined, telling them that it would be a glorified Halloween costume...

I also had a "hiatus" of similar length. Totally out of the MA from around '92-2007. Returning to training was very humbling. We have no belts, but full instructors wear a black shirt with an insignia. Needless to say I showed up for class in a white beginners shirt and began re-learning the art from my former si-dai (junior). I've been back at it (as much as family and work will allow) for nearly 9 years. Eventually I re-earned my old rank and assimilated the new, updated material. Kinda doubt I'll ever reach the next rank though. As I get older, progress is slower than walking up a steep hill of soft sand. Guess we all are just like Sisyphus, eh?

,,,Oops, there goes that dang stone again! Excuse me while I trot back down to get it. Back in a bit. ;)

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Just my opinion.

What makes someone a TRUE martial artist? I'm not sure what definition would prohibit having an "audience". Unless you're a hermit (and then who in the hell do you train with?), then you're going to have an audience.

it's his personal choice. I have to say I agree with him. I dropped into a school while traveling and completely dominated a blue belt when I was a young while belt (my school didn't use strips but probably the equivalent of one or two strips) but it turns out he was one of those guys who made it to blue and then quit... Hadn't rolled in an entire year. Now think 10 yrs. A solid blue should actually be able to give him trouble. There are guards that didn't even hit the scene yet 10 yrs ago that can be pulled against him. I certainly wouldn't feel comfortable wearing a rank of any art and having people much lower rank than me constantly beating me. I don't think it's an ego thing but just a reality check.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
One of our former instructors came back after a hiatus of several years and voluntarily went back to white belt to learn along side his children as they went through the ranks.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It is his journey and his decision but I personally don't share this philosophy - and that's ok.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't see why a true (capitalized or not) martial artist would necessarily not have an audience. Every instructor has one, and some engage them partly online, in social media. If ey do, then an announcement or explanation there isn't much different from a public announcement at the dojo, except that it can reach all of the classes at once. And sometimes instructors discuss situations in order that students might take a lesson from them.

I can see that from your posts, and you are allowed to have any opinion you wish. By the same token, I am also. As I practice Japanese koryu, my vision of what compromises a TRUE martial arts ideal will most likely be different than yours, since you practice more modern arts. I was simply pointing that out to the OP, since he made the initial post with a reverent tone for the initial subject which I didn't share. Doesn't make your version of a martial arts ideal (or TRUE martial artist) any less valid than mine, just different.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can see that from your posts, and you are allowed to have any opinion you wish. By the same token, I am also. As I practice Japanese koryu, my vision of what compromises a TRUE martial arts ideal will most likely be different than yours, since you practice more modern arts. I was simply pointing that out to the OP, since he made the initial post with a reverent tone for the initial subject which I didn't share. Doesn't make your version of a martial arts ideal (or TRUE martial artist) any less valid than mine, just different.
I agree. I was mostly curious as to why you see an audience as invalidating someone as a MA-ist. Again, as I see it, every instructor has an audience (their students), even those teaching koryu (the distinction of which admittedly escapes me - they were once the modern arts). I'm not trying to convince you, but to understand your reasoning.