Well Said That Man

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a clip hosted on the BBC website at a cogent statment made by Monty Don during Question Time (a flagship politics programme on the BBC).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/7887902.stm

I agree with him completely - not that that is any surprise to anyone who has ever read any of my posts on economic issues.

This clip is good too, primarily because of the clear use of various argumental falacies by Kelvin McKenzie that make it sound like he has a point when in fact he's pulling rabbits out of hats (to use a polite turn of phrase) to cloud the issue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/7888207.stm

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Doing a few rough estimates I'm not sure there are enough lampposts on Wall Street, K Street and Pennsylvania Avenue for all the bankers and brokers, lobbyists and crooked pols who need to decorate them. We may have to hire an engineer to do load and wind-shear calculations to see if we can go two-per. Oh well, at least it will keep the last few American rope factories in business...

Along those lines, accused Ponzi scammer Mark Dreier has and extreme flight risk.

Manhattan Federal Judge Jed Rakoff clarified the conditions for Dreier by emphasizing that his Feb. 8 order doesn't prohibit "lethal force" to subdue a fleeing Dreier. Dreier, 58, is accused of swindling hedge fund investors of $400 million.

Dreier hasn't been convicted of anything yet. I'm not sure the judge is correct even with recent Supreme Court decisions. But damn, that's a sentiment we haven't seen in a while. I wonder how much Judge Rakoff's friends and family have lost in the hedge fund racket.

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A little more of the same kind of wisdom... and definitely check out the link about why 'Wall Street Talent is an Oxymoron'. You'll laugh until you cry... though you may well be laughing while you cry...

myusername

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Well said Monty Don! It was nice to see some good old common sense prevailing in both those clips.

Thanks for sharing Sukerkin:)

Hagakure

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I couldn't watch these clips at work, but well done to MD. Loved the first vid especially. I thought he made a particularly good point. Would that there were more people in the public eye who would raise this issue.

OP
Sukerkin

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I admit I was surprised to see Monty on QT but it's good to see that he's well on the road to recovery from his stroke - mentally at least (tho' did you note that he was only using one arm to gesture with?).

For our American friends, Monty is most know for being a source of gardening wisdom on our well loved and enduring Gardeners World series. It is good to see that he also has some, as Hagakure said, some good old fashioned common sense when it comes to other matters too.

Latest Discussions