Encryption = suspicion?

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is from a article on the BBC site, which starts off with a good public service piece:

First though, an apology. File sharing is not theft. It has never been theft. Anyone who says it is theft is wrong and has unthinkingly absorbed too many Recording Industry Association of America press releases. We know that script line was wrong. It was a mistake. We're very, very sorry.

But the point I'd like to bring up is this:

At the moment, there's little enough encrypted data flying around that using encryption for villainous purposes would just attract attention to yourself. But in the swamp of encryption that's in prospect, that will no longer be the case.

Should using encryption imply that you are up to no good? Does closing the blinds on your front window mean you are probably doing something illegal?

What privacy rights should we have on line? If you send a encrypted message should that immediately send up red flags that you are up to no good?

I'm kind of of the opinion that all data transferred between two computers should be encrypted by default...

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:

Should using encryption imply that you are up to no good? Does closing the blinds on your front window mean you are probably doing something illegal?

What privacy rights should we have on line? If you send a encrypted message should that immediately send up red flags that you are up to no good?

I'm kind of of the opinion that all data transferred between two computers should be encrypted by default...

Ditto.

I think that if you use encryption that it doesn't mean you are up to no good.
Same as carrying a gun doesn't mean you will go on a shooting rampage or go and commit a crime.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple of years ago I ran into a guy who asked a group of us a similar question. While some people said that they had no problem not encrypting messages others were offended due to privacy issues. Then one dude who was for encryption said something interesting. I dont remember exactly how it went, but along the lines of everyone is guilty of something and for those that say we dont care if the message is encrypted or not you may want to thinnk again. He said how many times have you gone to a store and paid with a credit card, the clerk hands you a pen to sign, you sign, but inadvertently take the pen with you, well the point is you just took the pen even though you didnt mean to. Similarly you may be sending something over the internet that you may think is perfectly fine when there may be something there that may draw concern. Personally, I dont want the government snooping through my emails, I ve never been to jail, I ve never had problems, but my conversations with my friends, family members, co workers, significant others, peers, are my personal conversations and as far as encryption goes I am all for it.

As far as file sharing is concerned, you are absolutely right it is not theft, stealing a copyrighted work and illegally reproducing it without the consent of the owner is theft, whether virtual or not, not file sharing per se, if you are the owner of a piece of work or have the rights to it and want to share it that is your personal business.

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
copyright enfringement is theft

Nope, it is a crime, but it is NOT theft. Two completely different crimes, you will never get charged with "theft" for downloading movies / music. But you could get charged with copyright infringement depending on where you live.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
Nope, it is a crime, but it is NOT theft. Two completely different crimes, you will never get charged with "theft" for downloading movies / music. But you could get charged with copyright infringement depending on where you live.

You know, never thought about it as such, I just thought it was a crime. Interesting. This is a good thread!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Ping898 said:
Ditto.

I think that if you use encryption that it doesn't mean you are up to no good.

Agreed.

Actually it is quite contrary. I just read an article yesterday; that said that people that are attempting to steal data and or hack a system consider encrypted files a red flag to look for. The belief is if it is important it is encrypted so they look for it.

Latest Discussions