$wear In $chool And It Will Co$t You Big $$$$

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of Corporal Punishment.......

Got paddled once in 6th grade and that was enough to stop me from screwing around on school time..

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
If we're looking for a moneymaker here.... why not a hefty assessment on teachers for student seduction? You can't avoid such seemingly daily stories... so why not profit from it, a 'sin tax' of sorts?

Then we could have school uniform infringement fines.... and a late homework fee.... and....

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
My mum is a jr high school teacher and in that school if you swear you get a one day suspension.

It doesnt hurt the student, not too draconian and not linient either. its just enough to get a point across.

i do feel as some people said the money thing could set a stage for classism because its more likely to fall upon poorer people.

Last edited:

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally I think this measure is stupid, since it doesn't punish the students, it punishes the parents. For many it's already a problem paying enough to keep their kids fed and housed.

For many, coughing up another 100$ on short notice is going to be a problem that will make the long term problem only worse imo. If you want to punish the kid, then punish the kid, not the parents.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Heck, detention worked for me. We were sent out to a temporary classroom behind the high school and highly encouraged to bring our homework. If we didn't bring any homework, it was 60-90 minutes or so of staring at an empty wall. We couldn't talk, couldn't read, couldn't do anything that involved putting a pencil to paper...unless it was homework.

I don't see how that kind of extra structure can be detrimental to a student.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

From what I’ve been seeing in the schools I’m teaching at, and from my own children’s adventures, everything a child does in school in influenced by his or her own parents. If these kids are acting up at school, you can damn well bet they are doing similar, If not worse at home.

Children are at school for about 10% of the total hours in a given year, and at home for 90% of the hours. Who do you think is going to have the most influence on a child? The parents or the teacher?

I wish there was some way to drill into parents that the primary teacher of their children is them, and to not shuffle off and blame the schools and the teachers for their children being little *****.

OP
M

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think about this....there're fines for speeding, but people still speed. There're fines (at least in CT) for driving while texting and using your cell phone, but people still do it. There're fines for DUI, yet people still do it. Will this fine, $103, really stop kids from swearing? Not likely. I'm sure some parents will actually be pissed and make their kids pay the fine, and I'm sure there're others, who'll bail their kids out.

A detention/suspension...yes, had those punishments in place when I was in school too, and while it may be viewed as punishment by some, I'm sure there were many who viewed it as a vac. from school, for a day or 2. I'm talking about the suspensions, not the detentions. The detentions were viewed by some, as a mere speedbump in the day. So you stay a hour after school....yeah, ok.

The classroom setting is one thing....its pretty easy to monitor. In the halls, during change of class, where you have large numbers of kids in the halls...yeah, good luck with that.

I hope that more is written about it in the paper, as I'm interested in seeing how the program is going.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This seems pretty simple to me....if you can't afford it, DON'T SWEAR. I have little sympathy for students who say that they can't afford it and it is too much. You're in school, you need to follow the rules. I'm all for fining them if that works (which it probably won't).

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see the kids throwing the F-Bomb en masse.

Spartacus
style.

Organizing a student protest, attracting media attention, and documenting everything would seem like an excellent senior project or story for an entrance letter to university.

David43515

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I can see the kids throwing the F-Bomb en masse.

Spartacus
style.

Organizing a student protest, attracting media attention, and documenting everything would seem like an excellent senior project or story for an entrance letter to university.

"I`m a #$%*@~#!

No! I`m a #$%&*@~#!

Latest Discussions