MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Saw this in todays paper.

WINDSOR — - Why, you stupid #&#!&@#!!

That will be $103, please.

Under a new campaign against bad language at Windsor High School, students caught swearing at a teacher or classmate will now be ticketed for creating a public disturbance, an infraction carrying that mouth-clamping fine.

Principal Russell Sills notified parents that town police in the school would start issuing the tickets this week.

Students "who use profanity directed toward a teacher, toward another student in class or during a verbal altercation in the hallway or cafeteria," will be ticketed, Sills informed parents in a letter dated Jan. 28.

And it looks like it already has at least 1 student concerned:

"I don't have $103. That's too much. We've got enough problems already. I can't even afford lunch," said Tyshawn Hicks, a junior.

So, what are your thoughts? Something worth doing? Something that won't have any effect?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Like they worked....

If fining people worked, we'd have no more traffic violations, assaults, and a dozen other things too.

My main argument here is the simply the amount. The students most likely to go on a swearing frenzie, the ones who think nothing about swearing, may very well be the ones who can't afford the fine. You may very well push some of these kids to simply drop out.

All I know is you need to catch kids really, really early to help them/change them in a positive way. This is high school...

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If fining people worked, we'd have no more traffic violations, assaults, and a dozen other things too....

Quite true about the fines...I was just saying that detentions NEVER really worked in detering bad habits IMHO....

All I know is you need to catch kids really, really early to help them/change them in a positive way. This is high school..

Quite true in some cases...I knew students that spent 85% of their school years in detention and they NEVER changed...Personally I never swore in school, my potty mouth developed after I quite school and it took the intervention of a very pretty and smart lady to get me to change my ways....

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great. Maybe they can install those PC ticket spewing machines from Demolition Man..... add some Red Light cameras outside for even more "safety".
My wife had to evaluate a professor who wouldn't/couldn't stop routinely dropping the F Bomb during lectures... wonder where the lids get it from?

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
If fining people worked, we'd have no more traffic violations, assaults, and a dozen other things too.

My main argument here is the simply the amount. The students most likely to go on a swearing frenzie, the ones who think nothing about swearing, may very well be the ones who can't afford the fine. You may very well push some of these kids to simply drop out.

All I know is you need to catch kids really, really early to help them/change them in a positive way. This is high school...

QFT on all of the above.

The ticketing idea intrigues me, but I have no idea how it is enforced. How do you collect? What's the consequence of not paying up? If suspensions don't work the first couple of times around, they won't work at all.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I was thinking more along the lines of Corporal Punishment.......

Again, same argument, if corporal punishment worked we’d use it all the time.

Its funny, if you use physical violence on a child before guilt has been determined, its torture, if you use it after guilt has been determined it’s a justified punishment.

Why do people seem to think that hardship, physical or otherwise, “builds” character?

There is no evidence that corporal punishment works, in fact the evidence shows the exact opposite result when it’s employed. The kids get worse.

I don’t understand, we don’t hit mass murderers, rapists, and various other pieces of **** in our society because we think its wrong, yet we are willing to hit our children??

There is something seriously wrong with that logic…

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Worked on me, Ken. :)

Jenny I want so badly to make a comment about foreplay...but I won't...:angel:

I did a paper on CP a couple of months ago, and I read many papers on it, hence its very fresh in my mind. Statistically it does not work and the evidence shows the opposite affect.

Blade96

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, same argument, if corporal punishment worked we’d use it all the time.

Its funny, if you use physical violence on a child before guilt has been determined, its torture, if you use it after guilt has been determined it’s a justified punishment.

Why do people seem to think that hardship, physical or otherwise, “builds” character?

There is no evidence that corporal punishment works, in fact the evidence shows the exact opposite result when it’s employed. The kids get worse.

I don’t understand, we don’t hit mass murderers, rapists, and various other pieces of **** in our society because we think its wrong, yet we are willing to hit our children??

There is something seriously wrong with that logic…

oh dear god, someone who actually feels the exact same way i do about corporal punishment!!!!

I was hit too and it had a reverse effect. My parents realized that later and in person apologized for hitting me when i was a child. (They didnt know about the bullying and abuse i had suffered and which was likely driving my behavior; like many victims, i never told.) In fact my parents if they did not hit me, they were authoritarian in their parenting. I never learned to respect them for that, I learned to DISrespect them.

Happy to say my parents are anti-corporal punishment now. :) They actually get tears in their eyes now thinking about it. I forgave them, because at the time they thought it was right, and it was what all parents did when they themselves were kids.

Latest Discussions