We should be nice on the boards

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here at MartialTalk we should be nice to each other. As it says in Ephesians 4:32- "And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." Now, whether people here believe the Bible or not I do think its a good idea for us to be nice to each other and to not be bullies, after all, that's what the martial arts teaches. And besides, from what I know there are rules here that prohibit certain stuff such as insulting other members. Still, though, people do get away with posting mean messages at other members. We should refrain from that sort of stuff and all get along here.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. We should.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
... And besides, from what I know there are rules here that prohibit certain stuff such as insulting other members.

http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/14...7-martialtalk-com-forum-rules-procedures.html

Still, though, people do get away with posting mean messages at other members.

There are about 40 people on this site who have access to the report system, member records and moderator discussions.
Comments like this are never uttered by them.
Since it's never in 13 years been this sites policy to publicly announce who we warned, infracted or otherwise punished, unless you're on that short privileged list, what actions are taken with someone other than you are not likely to be known by you.

We should refrain from that sort of stuff and all get along here.

Yup.

I'll see your Ephesians 4:32 and raise you MartialTalk 1.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.7, & 5.8.

Though, I always did like Austin 3:16. :goldberg:

:D

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like that bible quote, people should be nice to others and this place isn't an exception

Just curious, do you think people are being rude to you here?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/14...7-martialtalk-com-forum-rules-procedures.html

There are about 40 people on this site who have access to the report system, member records and moderator discussions.
Comments like this are never uttered by them.
Since it's never in 13 years been this sites policy to publicly announce who we warned, infracted or otherwise punished, unless you're on that short privileged list, what actions are taken with someone other than you are not likely to be known by you.

Yup.

I'll see your Ephesians 4:32 and raise you MartialTalk 1.1, 5.3, 5.4, 5.7, & 5.8.

Maybe I need to read the bible more but i don't think I heard of that one

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like that bible quote, people should be nice to others and this place isn't an exception

Just curious, do you think people are being rude to you here?

I don't want to mention any names but there have been people here whose postings I find just downright mean and offensive. Not just to me but to other people as well.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes. And as I said in the original post, its specifically Ephesians 4:32

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Did you ever check out Morris 8:50? Certainly had a popular following here.
:s55:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I consider it more like tough love. Spare the rod spoil the child.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't want to mention any names but there have been people here whose postings I find just downright mean and offensive. Not just to me but to other people as well.

That's why we have an Ignore button. Use it on the folks you dislike so much and you won't see their posts.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
while i do believe comments should follow the MT rules, i can understand that people can get worked up. after all for many, training is their life and self identity. some have trained their entire adult lives. when someone contradicts what you have experienced for yourself it can be frustrating. at times people will make a comment that triggers a defensive feeling in the reader and they respond strongly because that original comment is put in a way that is invalidating the readers experience and self identity. reading text holds no tonal quality and visual context. things can be taken wrong when the reader is reading the text words with his or her own internal voice and dialog. but at the same time there are those people out there who do not have a lot of experience but decide that they are experts, this behavior of false authority may work in the small circles within the dojo but on a large community like MT it just wont fly. i am not defending offensive comments but small fish all think they are big when they are in a small pond untill they enter the ocean with whales and sharks. some people may not like the reality of it but that is why i come here, to talk with and get ideas from people who have more experience than i do. i cant always get that at a dojo. they say "you should never talk about religion or politics" you can add martial arts to that list because we all have very strong opinions on it, but that is exactly what this sight is for. so do you really think we should all just get along and sing kumbaya. that is boring and it would infer that we all think the same way and hold the same beliefs. nothing to learn from there. i say let the debates begin... just be polite.
:)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
while i do believe comments should follow the MT rules, i can understand that people can get worked up.

(Not directed at any particular person.) Unfortunately on a forum one person getting worked up one time can lead to a cascade of increasingly negative posts that amount to a piling-on. It gets worse when person A becomes convinced that Person B always makes unwanted posts and is all the more prone, each time, to make a belittling comment that Person A hopes will eventually drive Person B away from the forum. We see these dog-piles all too often: A post that should have been roundly ignored by all gets criticized by someone peeved to see a perceived undesirable post once again. It's the usual "SOMEONE IS WRONG ON THE INTERNET!" problem: People need to stop thinking it's their job to police MartialTalk and just move on when a topic doesn't interest them, or send a report if the post is truly problematic and allow the staff to do its job on one poster rather than sorting out three pages of he-said, she-said followed by five pages of random jokes.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score
Yeah, that's the one I haven't heard. The other already knew

Pro wrestling. King of the Ring, 1996-"Stone Cold" Steve Austin:

“ You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didn't get you anywhere! Talk about your Psalms, talk about John 3:16... Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ***!"
:lfao:

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Pro wrestling. King of the Ring, 1996-"Stone Cold" Steve Austin:

:lfao:

That's some tough talk from the once very tanned and blonde, "Stunning" Steve Austin...

11.jpg

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
posting mean messages at other members.

When you

- open your window, the butterfly will fly in but the mosquito will fly in too.
- close your window, nothing can fly in.

The following is always true.

- more opinions -> more argument.
- less opinions -> less argument.
- no opinion -> no argument.

IMO, sometime to put yourself into the "listen" mode can be more fun, and less blood pressure raising.

Latest Discussions