"We are not a McDojo"

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
if they're not a mcdojo, then they wouldn't need to say so. it would be apparent in the general atmosphere and quality of a school.

most people who are new to martial arts probably never heard the term mcdojo, if they like what they see they'll come back to the class, mcdojo or not. so in my opinion stating one isn't a mcdojo to attract new students is kinda funny.

edit:

iceman said basically what i was thinking, he beat me to it.
Maybe they have not heard the term, but a person whom hears the word will automaticly know what it means. This is just one schools reaction to the term. I wouldn't judge the quality of instruction on any form of advertisment.
Sean

dbell

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While I would go to the school before making any decision, it would probably put me "on guard" when I entered, which may not be good, as it would probably get me to looking closer at a school than I normally would (and I already look at them pretty close!).

Another one that sets off alarms is "We are not a Belt Factory", as EVERY school that I have looked at first hand, including a "friends", that says that, has been a belt factory. (Again, that *I* have *looked* at, some may not be, but the ones that post that tend to be in my book...)

Stac3y

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I think it would be very entertaining to set up a studio named "McDojo" and see how many students showed up. Advertise that you get a new belt every 3 months, no matter how many classes you miss or how you do on tests (or maybe that there are no tests--even better.)

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think it would be very entertaining to set up a studio named "McDojo" and see how many students showed up. Advertise that you get a new belt every 3 months, no matter how many classes you miss or how you do on tests (or maybe that there are no tests--even better.)

It is probably not a bad business model and would succeed with a certain segment of the population - such as soccer moms (sorry, first thing that came to mind).

It's like home theatre stores and places that sell audiophile gear. Both exist, both supposedly sell top-notch audio-visual, but one appeals to one group and one to another. And they don't really cross-paths.

McDojo's have their place, but not amongst the group on MT.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Must would believe they are just a chain from a bigger martial art school, like all the Mc Donalds.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I would go to the school before making any decision, it would probably put me "on guard" when I entered, which may not be good, as it would probably get me to looking closer at a school than I normally would (and I already look at them pretty close!).

Another one that sets off alarms is "We are not a Belt Factory", as EVERY school that I have looked at first hand, including a "friends", that says that, has been a belt factory. (Again, that *I* have *looked* at, some may not be, but the ones that post that tend to be in my book...)
I guess they are bringing up a negative image. Its like telling people, "WE DON"T SUCK!".
Sean

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Do a google search for "we are not a mcdojo" and 90% of the hits look disturbingly McDojo-ish with sokes, secret societies.. the works :uhyeah:

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
One "not a McDojo" also feels the need to point out the following on their page:

WE DO NOT PRESSURE TEST AGGRESSIVE KNIFE ASSAULTS ON UNTRAINED & UNSKILL NOVICES

I am not getting near that place..

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I skimmed this thread. Was a link to the Dojo's site posted?

No I did not post a link to the site(s) just because I didn't think it would be right to directly bash the specific school, even if it is a McDojo.

Here is a funny quote though from the site that demonstrates what I was talking about with regards to the misspellings all over the site. It's like they have a 8 year old for a webmaster:

"Come Join Grandmatser XXXXXXX & Master XXXXXX for this grand day and enjoy the activities:"

I mean come on. Who is proofreading this stuff so that they can at least spell grand freakin master properly?

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
at least they didnt say.... GRANDMASSER!
icon10.gif

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't really mind as long as I can get one with the lot. Supersize me Matser!!
icon10.gif

Latest Discussions