McDojo -- how do you define it?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
By all accounts, the ATA taekwondo system is itself servicable. From what I have read on their websites and from feedback from ATA members, the organization is definitely very focused on the financial success of its schools and tends to be rather pricey. So in their case, I would say that it actually does matter how good he/she is.

I've never heard of United Studios of Self Defense, so I make no comment.
USSD is a chain that teaches shaolin kempo, but has bad hiring practices and many schools end up with *ahem* sub-par teachers. However, they teach shaolin kempo which in itself is a fine art, and many offshoots of USSD teach shaolin kempo very effectively..my instructor originally learned it before getting fed up with the business aspects and ranking system after around 3rd degree black belt (the chain itself has mcdojo ideas..if you dont teach and dont own a successful chain, its impossible to continue grading) and started his own system. I can assure anyone that he is not a product of a mcdojo, as he created and still consistently beats me in sparring matches, and I still have much to learn, and everywhere I have cross-trained those instructors are impressed with my ability and technique. So basically, he's proof USSD is serviceable as well.
As for business practices, basically same thing as ATA..organization is focused on financial success, but with the right teacher is still a good system.

Last edited:

Hapkidoguy

White Belt
Reaction score
I guess I came from a Mcdojo ish background. It taught two martial arts both of which I now hold blackbelts in.I paid for my rank exams however I had to be able to pass the required techniques for each belt level. We tested every two months. Once again you had to know the techniques to be ready to test. I believe they had a Black Belt Program which I was not in. The original school I was in the owner focused on money but the other instructors picked up his slack. I made sure I was comfortable before even trying for my next rank. I would guess my trainig wasnt traditional so it would seem to some of you I suck at martial arts because I didnt go to a school that has been around for 200 years. Some people have a lot more money then I where they could travel to a Traditional school. Or lived in a town with one. Some dont have that luxury. I no longer have an instructor because I moved out of state. The closest school of any kind is 45 mins away and im not sure any of those would be traditiional enough for some people on here. i agree people should be able to acyually defend themselves if they practice a martial art. I also think McDojo dont care about the students as much. However some people dont have an option since most truly traditional schools dont have many branches to train in. Just a rant.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
OK I lied...I wasn't done :EG:

If your school has the golden arches in its logo

mcdojo-hd.jpg

3.jpg

mcdojo-1.jpg

It's a McDojo :D

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I guess I came from a Mcdojo ish background. It taught two martial arts both of which I now hold blackbelts in.I paid for my rank exams however I had to be able to pass the required techniques for each belt level. We tested every two months. Once again you had to know the techniques to be ready to test. I believe they had a Black Belt Program which I was not in. The original school I was in the owner focused on money but the other instructors picked up his slack. I made sure I was comfortable before even trying for my next rank. I would guess my trainig wasnt traditional so it would seem to some of you I suck at martial arts because I didnt go to a school that has been around for 200 years. Some people have a lot more money then I where they could travel to a Traditional school. Or lived in a town with one. Some dont have that luxury. I no longer have an instructor because I moved out of state. The closest school of any kind is 45 mins away and im not sure any of those would be traditiional enough for some people on here. i agree people should be able to acyually defend themselves if they practice a martial art. I also think McDojo dont care about the students as much. However some people dont have an option since most truly traditional schools dont have many branches to train in. Just a rant.

I'm getting that your thinking "traditional" is key. I'm positive there are many who can attest that "eclectic" is just as good. What matters is a good instructor and your desire.

Unless we live in a perfect world, which don't. We don't really choose our paths, we just follow them. :)

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm getting that your thinking "traditional" is key. I'm positive there are many who can attest that "eclectic" is just as good. What matters is a good instructor and your desire.

If we follow it back far enough, all 'traditional' styles were once 'eclectic' themselves. ;)

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

Please keep the conversation professional, objective, and respectful. Remember that the Rules here prohibit art bashing. That doesn't mean you may not discuss or compare the relative merits, strengths, and failings of an art or instructional model, but that you must do so in a respectful and objective manner. "All XYZ schools suck!" is not respectful. There have been several excellent posts, and I really, really don't want to be locking another TKD thread, and issuing infractions.

jks9199
Asst. Moderator

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Lol that is actually quite funny that you point that out. But imagine ranking up in any fighting system by walking in and paying for the rank. It would be like going to sign up for college courses and paying extra to just have a degree signed over to you. It does a disservice to the art. Not only do people not learn the art properly which could get them potentially hurt, but eventually if everyone learns this way... well it could potentially mean the end of a martial art down the road.

You are only 462 posts away from a BB:flame:

OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
OP
R

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol that is actually quite funny that you point that out. But imagine ranking up in any fighting system by walking in and paying for the rank. It would be like going to sign up for college courses and paying extra to just have a degree signed over to you. It does a disservice to the art. Not only do people not learn the art properly which could get them potentially hurt, but eventually if everyone learns this way... well it could potentially mean the end of a martial art down the road.

Did you know that during the early modern era (1500s - 1800s), people with means bought commissions as military officers. Yikes!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Because I study TKD and like hearing from others who do. It is not a slant against TKD.
Fair enough. Most people check all the forums anyway, was just curious if you were one of those who think mcdojo is synonymous with TKD *shudders* glad that you're not :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Does that mean that soon I'll be able to sell DVDs about how to successfully post on web forums!? This is exciting!
post on web forums...teach the most lethal and effective street martial art, teach the only REAL martial art (obviously the one jedis use :jediduel:)...same thing really

Latest Discussions