My Do-Jang is NOT a McDojo, and here is the reason why......

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Being new to the MA, I am also new to the funny term of "McDojo". Since hearing this term I have spent hours on the internet researching the subject and read a ton of articles on MA sites, including here. I hear a lot of the same things about what "makes" a McDojo, but I am more interested in what "Does NOT" make a McDojo. So.......

I would love to hear your TOP 3 Reasons, Your Do-Jang is NOT a McDojo :D

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
  1. We don't serve fries.
  2. We don't smell like grease.
  3. We don't wear paper hats.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OH yea my reason are simple

1 I am the instructor
2 I am still the instructor
3 I will always be the instructor asnd when I am gone my sons will be.

dortiz

Black Belt
Reaction score
1. The quality and care of the instructor team
2. No schedule for belt testing, no stars etc awarded. We test when its time.
3. No Black Belt Clubs,Programs etc

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We also do not say do you want to supersize it

would you like cheese or bacon

and my favorite of all times is it for here or take out....

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Being new to the MA, I am also new to the funny term of "McDojo". Since hearing this term I have spent hours on the internet researching the subject and read a ton of articles on MA sites, including here. I hear a lot of the same things about what "makes" a McDojo, but I am more interested in what "Does NOT" make a McDojo. So.......

I would love to hear your TOP 3 Reasons, Your Do-Jang is NOT a McDojo :D
1. Korean Martial Arts, Inc. is not a franchise.
2. The owner is Korean, not Irish (thus, no Mc).
3. No drive through window.

Daniel

OP
Fing Fang Foom

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well as far as LT's and DK's dojang is concerned here are the 3 I could come up with for both sides of the arguement of McDojo vs NotMcDojo:

NOT McDojo because~

1. GrandMaster has 40+ yrs of experience and is highest ranked TKD-GM in our state; and was also a 6 time Korean Olympic Champion.

2. The GM spends extra time with any student that wants to, and an hour long class often turns into a 100 min class (as tonight with DK).

3. All the instructors agree that Lil' Tiger is the Cutest kid in the "little junior class" :lol:

Possible McDojo because~

1. They have 3-5 yrs olds in little junior classes

2. They Do have a "BBClub"

3. All the instructors agree that Lil' Tiger is the cutest kid in the "little junior class" :lol: :lol:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you need to explain why your club is NOT a mcdojo, then odds are good, you are a mcdojo...

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I dont really have a problem with scheduled belt testing. If you are not ready to grade the instructor just says 'too bad, wait till next time'. In a club like mine where there are thousands of students and the chief instructor or GM must be present for everybodys gradings if each student just graded on the day they are ready it would be a logistical nightmare. We have four scheduled gradings a year where the club meets at one venue and anyone whose instructor deems they are ready to grade can attend and are graded by our GM, chief instructor and two other 7th dans, if you are not ready to grade you either wait till next time or risk failing. Is this what people mean when they say 'scheduled belt testing'?, as I dont really understand what the term means.

OP
Fing Fang Foom

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you need to explain why your club is NOT a mcdojo, then odds are good, you are a mcdojo...

I guess not everyone gets my sense of humor yet ;) :D

Of course, with only a couple dozen posts and still a 'yeller belt' I guess I am still just a "McPoster" :lol:

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I guess not everyone gets my sense of humor yet ;) :D

Of course, with only a couple dozen posts and still a 'yeller belt' I guess I am still just a "McPoster" :lol:

:)
Nope I got it.
Just at 2:45am I tend to be more serious.........:)

OP
Fing Fang Foom

Fing Fang Foom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Golly, Australia!!!!!!! I love you peep's!

Some of the jolliest fellows I ever met was while I was drinking a brew back in 1990 on the small Island Country of Bahrain in the Persian Gulf. They made me laugh soooo hard I almost wet myself. In all my years meeting people of dozens of countries I must say the Aussies have topped my list of "all around great chaps"!!! :D :D

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Golly, Australia!!!!!!! I love you peep's!

Some of the jolliest fellows I ever met was while I was drinking a brew back in 1990 on the small Island Country of Bahrain in the Persian Gulf. They made me laugh soooo hard I almost wet myself. In all my years meeting people of dozens of countries I must say the Aussies have topped my list of "all around great chaps"!!! :D :D
good to hear the aussies abroad are doing us proud.

Latest Discussions