"We are not a McDojo"

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Would you even consider attending a school that says on their website "We are not a McDojo"?

To me that just seems like such a red flag.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Would you even consider attending a school that says on their website "We are not a McDojo"?

Me thinketh they protesteth too much!! :erg:

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or it could just be that they are very aware of the moniker and don't want to be associated with it.
I'd judge it off of the business model along with watching the class to see the apparent skill levels first. Some mcdojo's make great martial artists, although most don't.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

I wouldn't consider attending any gym based upon what they say, nor would I reccoment that anyone do this.

I reccomend people watch at least 3 classes and make a decision based upon what they see as well as any details vis a vis fees and required non class activities.

I say 3 classes because on any given night one topic area may be covered and you could get the wrong impression that this is all they do.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Its not the tactic I would choose, but if they could work with me on my schedule and had instructors that taught what I wanted to learn, that taught in a way I can learn.....then I don't care what they have on their sign.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The ? that I have then is this??? What are you??? I am more interested in what you are than what you claim not to be!

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I tend with Master Weiss on this one. Anyone can write anything in an ad, the proof is always in the product.

I will say that telling people what you aren't isn't a good tactic. Especially using such a term that is very "in-house" to people who already train. Folks who don't train don't know what that means.

If I were a new student, I'd be looking at ads that told me the benefits of their school: rather than what they are not.

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
if they're not a mcdojo, then they wouldn't need to say so. it would be apparent in the general atmosphere and quality of a school.

most people who are new to martial arts probably never heard the term mcdojo, if they like what they see they'll come back to the class, mcdojo or not. so in my opinion stating one isn't a mcdojo to attract new students is kinda funny.

edit:

iceman said basically what i was thinking, he beat me to it.

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It just looks funny to read on a school website that "We are not a McDojo" while at the same time so many other things on the webstie scream "WE ARE A MCDOJO!"

• You must purchase all of your uniform and sparring gear from us.
  • 9 different martial arts styles offered under 1 roof.
  • Hundreds of misspelled words on all of their websites (I have found 5 different sites so far).
  • A webpage that lists their instructors by age, including their 7-9 year old instructors. (No they don't instruct 7-9 year olds, they are 7-9 year olds.)
  • Requirement to join a special club if you want to train to black belt ($$$)
  • The school grand master holds rank in 10 martial arts and has trained under more than a dozen of the world's greatest grandmasters.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It just looks funny to read on a school website that "We are not a McDojo" while at the same time so many other things on the webstie scream "WE ARE A MCDOJO!"

• Hundreds of misspelled words on all of their websites (I have found 5 different sites so far).
  • A webpage that lists their instructors by age, including their 7-9 year old instructors. (No they don't instruct 7-9 year olds, they are 7-9 year olds.)
  • The school grand master holds rank in 10 martial arts and has trained under more than a dozen of the world's greatest grandmasters.

Now that's funny....I wonder if they are affiliated with a school up here that offered EXPERT instruction in Karate, Judo, Ju-Jitsu and Kempo and the lone instructor was almost 25 years old..

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Aww give em a breaks "WE ARE NOT A MCDOJO" takes up less space on the page and is easier to spell than "WE ARE NOT A BELT FACTORY" or "HONEST, WE REALLY TEACH MARTIAL ARTS....HONEST WE DO ;) .... but it will cost you" :D

9 different martial arts styles offered under 1 roof.. give me a break :rolleyes:

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Based on that, I certainly would never train there. I"m sure that they also have a very well structured contract system that requires you to pay up front for long periods of time and guarantees rank.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

mango.man all that proves is they have some talented 7 years old, I mean Master's of TKD. Yes anybody that say I am not a McDojo is only cooking up trouble.

Dave Leverich

Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol, ok yeah with that further information um heh.
I kind of feel like we were baited into this one... ;p

OP
M

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't feel baited. I actually didn't have a chance last night to look over all their websites. I just posted the first thing that jumped out at me last night.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
of course they're not a "MCDOJO" , they are a "MACDOJO".... duhhh :rofl:

Latest Discussions