Wait mine is better than yours

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think criticism of children should be off limits. Us adults should be able to handle it and it kinda go's with the territory of being a high ranking martial artist. But criticize my kids (justified or not) and we may have to have a talk.

Hmm, since the kids are the product....

There is criticizing and there is CRITICIZING.

Saying a person (regardless of age) is not so good because of xyc, that's not bad. Saying a person just SUXS is not very helpful.

But your kids will be critiqued when they leave your school and perform what you taught them, be it youtube or tournament.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hmm, since the kids are the product....

There is criticizing and there is CRITICIZING.

Saying a person (regardless of age) is not so good because of xyc, that's not bad. Saying a person just SUXS is not very helpful.

But your kids will be critiqued when they leave your school and perform what you taught them, be it youtube or tournament.

Absolutely, my kids will be criticized. And when I say "my kids", I'm talking about my two young sons. So be it, they will have to learn to deal with it if it happens. I just don't believe in criticizing kids, especially on a public forum where they may read it or someone may show it to them. Just the way I am.

Kids should be allowed to suck at martial arts, baseball, soccer etc. Their job should be to have fun. They shouldn't have to hear from adults how they suck and are a total embarrassment to the arts. I realize that they can be an embarrassment but I won't be the one to bring it to their attention. I just think it should be off limits.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Absolutely, my kids will be criticized. And when I say "my kids", I'm talking about my two young sons. So be it, they will have to learn to deal with it if it happens. I just don't believe in criticizing kids, especially on a public forum where they may read it or someone may show it to them. Just the way I am.

Kids should be allowed to suck at martial arts, baseball, soccer etc. Their job should be to have fun. They shouldn't have to hear from adults how they suck and are a total embarrassment to the arts. I realize that they can be an embarrassment but I won't be the one to bring it to their attention. I just think it should be off limits.

Well, then tell the parents to stop blowing sugar up poopsie's butt.

You post your stuff in public, you will receive a response. BTW getting a harsh critique on MA, soccer or whatever performance is the least of my concern. The net is populated with weirdos and perverts. Putting your kid's mug out there, with name and location is asking for trouble.

People have to get over themselves and their spawns. I know my kid is precious to me, and his grandparents, but most everybody else is not interested in his latest potato sculpture. Of course kids need to have the freedom on being terribly bad in something, and hopefully still have a good time. That's how we learn, and I found my son learned more from utterly messing up than from getting a medal.

Thjere are 2 sides to the story, the kid (=product) and the trainers who made it that way.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, then tell the parents to stop blowing sugar up poopsie's butt.

You post your stuff in public, you will receive a response. BTW getting a harsh critique on MA, soccer or whatever performance is the least of my concern. The net is populated with weirdos and perverts. Putting your kid's mug out there, with name and location is asking for trouble.

People have to get over themselves and their spawns. I know my kid is precious to me, and his grandparents, but most everybody else is not interested in his latest potato sculpture. Of course kids need to have the freedom on being terribly bad in something, and hopefully still have a good time. That's how we learn, and I found my son learned more from utterly messing up than from getting a medal.

Thjere are 2 sides to the story, the kid (=product) and the trainers who made it that way.

I agree with with just about everything you are saying. But I don't think some of these lackluster performances are being posted by the kids or their parents. Often times it's someone else posting this ****, so I should slam the kid?

And your right, I would have no interest in your kids latest potato sculpture and if you or someone else posted it on the internet I wouldn't think it would be fair to make your kid feel like **** because he/she wasn't my idea of master sculptor. Some people here take stuff way too seriously.

It's really getting old reading the critique's from these keyboard Masters, who, when I see their stuff posted (and their students) makes me shake my head. I guess it makes them feel better to constantly slam others while they themselves suck (and you know who you are).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
well, but if you don't speak up, you perpetuate the problem.

Precious Syndrome...and you end up throwing confetty at your coworkers just for showing up (how can you award good performance when you go overboard for what should be a given)

You can tell somebody they are not all that hot, or you can slam them. Even children.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Step 1 : instead of a## say buns. like kiss my buns or you are a buns hole
step 2 : instead sh&^ say poo. like poo poo poo! or this poo is cold.
step 3 with Bi%$# drop the t, cause bich is latin for generosity
step 4 : don't say fu#@ anymore cause fu#@ is the worst word that you can say...so just use the words M'KAY!
Just kidding.
Am glad to see this thread. It was getting a little out of hand. I was to blame as well.
M'KAY? M'KAY.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Agreed. I'm referring to the latter part (slamming).
lol, rereading the quote I realize how poorly I expressed myself.

I mean, once should not be slamming others for lack of ability, a few exception excluded of course. :)