Wait mine is better than yours

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more of this here on Martial Talk, videos of what people would say is a bad test or this school sucks or this instructor looks like ****. I am getting to the point where I am ready to close my account, we all have our personal reason to train, little Johnny parents has there's. What gives us the right to pick at these people, what has made us turn into vultures? I for one would like to get back to discussing techs and application in the TKD section, not bashing and complaining. I have been one to do this in the past, but I am going to turn over a new era in my life and stay out of name calling if I personally do not know the school or the instructor.

I would hope alot of you will be able to do the same and bring the good that TKD has to offer the people and the instructors of the world.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more of this here on Martial Talk, videos of what people would say is a bad test or this school sucks or this instructor looks like ****. I am getting to the point where I am ready to close my account, we all have our personal reason to train, little Johnny parents has there's. What gives us the right to pick at these people, what has made us turn into vultures? I for one would like to get back to discussing techs and application in the TKD section, not bashing and complaining. I have been one to do this in the past, but I am going to turn over a new era in my life and stay out of name calling if I personally do not know the school or the instructor.

I would hope alot of you will be able to do the same and bring the good that TKD has to offer the people and the instructors of the world.

Ooh...I misread the title...I thought it said Mine is bigger than yours. ha.ha.ha.ha.

Seriously though, I agree with where you are going with this. A snap shot is not anyway of saying if a school is good or bad.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm all for a return to civility. I have noticed tempers seem to be getting frayed more often particularly with the new influx of members and with some of our better posters being less active. Perhaps it is just the heat and this will blow over.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'll join you Terry. It's a shame I find myself avoiding more topics than i join. It's easy to cast aspersions, and far harder to enagge in a useful dialogue.

Peace,
Erik

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
But wait a minute mine is better than yours!!
Just kidding.:angel: I have a tendency to agree with you on you OP!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

So if you see something illogical or even dangerous you will just say "MUM"? I am all for being polite, but this stuff is serious. Save these people!
Sean

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So if you see something illogical or even dangerous you will just say "MUM"? I am all for being polite, but this stuff is serious. Save these people!
Sean

Not what I am saying, remember we only see what is available we do not know the whole picture. They may look like a sport class, but they are a sport class and that is what some people want. We cannot save everybody from themself we can only do what we can to make sure we are doing what we believe to be right. Take care of ourself and the rest will follow.

TKD_Father

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Personally, I'd like to see some youtube links to some GOOD examples.

I love marking them so my son and I can study the techniques.

BTW - prefer more forms and self defense, there's plenty of sparring available.

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Positive posting...I like it. If you look at any of my post, I always try to say something positive. I never bash any kids, school, or teachings. I always found it funny that some did as the tenets of TKD do not teach this. But Oh well, "to each his own" I would just say to myself.

Now debating the whys and hows of something is always fun.

Nice post Terry. :asian:

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TKD Father I will post some videos of our childern self Defense and poomsae for you. I tend to have some up already but for some reason they are hard to locate.

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more of this here on Martial Talk, videos of what people would say is a bad test or this school sucks or this instructor looks like ****. I am getting to the point where I am ready to close my account, ....
This is one of the reasons you don't see me post on here any longer. Not that Bob is doing a bad job with this site, b/c he's not. This is by far one of the best on the entire 'net. Just as you recently seen from someone in another thread said to me.... I was again this " " close to asking my account to be closed. Don't need the hassle.
Sir, do what you feel is right or just maybe take a break. Although I personally don't post much on here doesn't mean I don't lurk about in the shadows of the threads. Terry, I have enjoyed many of your posts. It would be ashame to see you leave this forum.
Take care, sir.
jason

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm all for a return to civility. I have noticed tempers seem to be getting frayed more often particularly with the new influx of members and with some of our better posters being less active. Perhaps it is just the heat and this will blow over.

Eh, I am blaming it on the economy (really, no kidding, seems like everybody has shorter fuses these days)

It will pass. Might take an extra round on the bag and a less than PG sports drink after, but it will blow over.

I just don't see the need to close accounts. (of course I am a free loader....makes a difference I suppose)

Maybe we do spend too much time behind our computers, not on the mat, putting our (feet) money where our mouth is, but that too is part of life: meeting at the round table and talking *****. it's a time honored tradition.

I mean, it does get mighty old rehashing the same things over and over. The basics of martial arts are a couple thousand years old, so we are going to reinvent the wheel in one night?

But for everybody who promoted substandard performance there is one instructor who considers it an honor to have blood splatter on his mat or to no pass a candidate at rank grading.

I am an internet junky, especially forums like that, this is by far the best MA forum I have found.

And here is the reason:

There are folks who not only talk the talk but walk the walk, that question themselves and strive to do better

Folks that have been around the block, seen more than just the 4 walls of their home gym and have tasted dirt many different ways.

Some folks are past the physical prime, and carry on, with aches and pains. But they make up for it with a wealth of experience that they are willing to share in ways you won't ever find in a lifetime just meeting people face to face.

A good sense of humor. I mean, you gotta have that, actually paying to be tortured... :D

Of course there are the screwballs, that try to mess things up. But in general this forum does not provide the climate for those strange flowers to flourish.

But you also can't stick your head in the sand, ignoring the 6yo BB (or the 8yo who happened to be posted on the net) because they just might walk through your door some day.

So pretty please, Terry and all of you, if you feel you need to clear your mind from this net business, by all means, do so, but pretty, PRETTY please, don't do anything harsh like deleteing accounts. Your presence is too valuable for words.

/bow

Last edited:

stickarts

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree with you Terry. I have found that those that spend most of their time criticizing others and how they do things are obviously not spending enough time on self improvement and have too much time on their hands. I try and focus on things of substance and positive contribution. Don't close your account. We like you here. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO, I think its a bit foolish to want to close your acct. because of what someone says on a message board, in addition to the fact that there is a very good chance that you'll never see said person. No, I'm not talking about some challenge match, I'm talking about....if for example, Terry said something that upset me, chances are, I'm not planning a trip to TX in the near future, so....I take it with a grain of salt, ignore him, and get on with my life. Its a sad day, no, a very sad day, when I let the actions of someone on an online forum, ruin my life. For the record, Terry hasn't done anything I've mentioned. :) Just using that as an example.

But, in any case, to each his own. As I always say, this is the best forum I've been on. We do have ways to address issues, so if someone is not or chooses not to take advantage of those methods, then its not my fault if someone is unhappy. You can RTM the post of the offending person, put them on ignore or perhaps contact one of the mods here, via email or PM. If there is an issue, not addressing it, isn't helping the situation.

As far as people bashing videos, schools, teachers, etc....one would think that if you put someone on youtube, it'd be a quality clip. I could post something I think is the best, and 10 others can watch it and think it sucks. Thats the nature of the beast. Of course, to say that everything on YT is good, well, I think you're kidding yourself if you think that. And IMHO, that is probably the #1 reason why people look down on the arts. If someone posted a TKD clip and the people in the clip had poor stances, no power in the forms, the SD looked like garbage, the person watching is probably going to judge ALL TKD as garbage, even though there are great quality schools out there. Again, its the nature of the beast, and I think its a small issue to get riled up about. Then again, it shouldn't take much to see, especially if you've been around long enough, to see something and know whether or not is good or crappy. I take slight offense to people who post crappy Kenpo, but I also understand that I'm not a member of the Kenpo Police Dept. and there is nothing I can do about it. I shrug it off, and go about my training. There is good Kenpo out there, just like there is good TKD, good Bujinkan, good BJJ, etc. I do my part, as should everyone in their respective arts, to spread the art in a good light.

I look at it like this....I'm not trying to impress anyone with my Kenpo, Arnis or BJJ. I do those arts because I like them. If someone thinks they suck, thats fine. I have no desire to post a clip because I dont care about impressing someone or trying to prove something. What I do works for me, and thats all I care about. I know what the arts can and can't do and thats all I care about.

TaeKwonDoKevin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
WONDERFUL Post Terry........I do agree.

NOW, let me ask you all this.
Have you ever had a student that you thought was average, but other Instructors thought s/he had GREAT tech? Or have a student you thought was good, and others thought was average? Have you ever thought this of another Instructor's student.
I'm not saying what is right or wrong, but sometimes for what ever crazy reason, we see something in a student (our own or someone elses student) that no one else sees or vice versa.
I know this has happened to me before, on both sides, student gets great marks and I'm thinking that's "average joey" what do these guest Instructors see in him. While another student I thought was going places barely passes.
After the test, I do find out why.
Maybe it's just me......maybe I'm goofy that way.

Respectfully,
-Kevin

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kevin I am with you, I have seen student that are great in the classroom but they simply suck when it comes down to a test. I have also seen student elivate there game when testing occurs.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think criticism of children should be off limits. Us adults should be able to handle it and it kinda go's with the territory of being a high ranking martial artist. But criticize my kids (justified or not) and we may have to have a talk.

Latest Discussions