Vote day experiences

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
michaeledward said:
I just watched the Kerry's cast their votes on Television. The Senator took a couple of questions. Then he actually walked over to the people assembled in the street and started shaking hands. (as did Ms. Heinz Kerry).

The Secret Service looked a little panicked. They must be out of practice.

I wonder who they voted for?

One of the scariest times for a security guard/body guard/Secret Service/Handler/ is when the person you are moving or protecting makes an unexpected move, with out tell you. If you had known you would have had people in the crowd to handle things there as well if it turned bad. Nervous can also be, that they were calling in the changes to the snipers. I mean watchers, for coverage, to make sure there were people involved, and people watching.

My Experience on voting was that I had to wait for the old ladies to get done chatting with the guy in front of me to get checked off, and then get my ballot next in line. Four people to get the ballot and make sure I was who I am and the correct person. Fifth person to take special folder that protected the ballot that was to be read by an electronic card reader.

It picked up, while I was waiting and voting.

What I liked best was the rain and that all the people trying to get me to change my mind at the last minute were in their cars and not out bothering me. I really want to punch these people when they get in my face, and do not take Not interested or do not touch me for a reply.

We had these 17" x 8" ballots that were of a large print and had large ovals to be filled in with dark ink, to be read. The card reader was dual sided, so you only had to insert it once, and it read both sides. It also gave positive confirmation that there was a proper reading, by incrementing count. If there was a failure, it would tell you which area the machine had problems with so you could go back and fix it. (* Same system was rolled out for the primaries and August local elections. *)

:asian:

S

Spud

In other news: following the success of P.Diddy's MTV-sponsored Vote or Die Campaign, 640 residents of New York City and 228 Philadelphia residents have perished in Election Day violence. P.Diddy is expected to make additional stops in Miami, Houston, Denver and Los Angeles by day's end.

A final rally in Anchorage has been cancelled due to logistics (organizers realized they were outgunned).

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Spud said:
In other news: following the success of P.Diddy's MTV-sponsored Vote or Die Campaign, 640 residents of New York City and 228 Philadelphia residents have perished in Election Day violence. P.Diddy is expected to make additional stops in Miami, Houston, Denver and Los Angeles by day's end.

A final rally in Anchorage has been cancelled due to logistics (organizers realized they were outgunned).

hilarious.....heading off to the polls now....i haven't heard of any riots yet...so i think it'll be ok...

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
well let's see, this is only my 2nd election and i met my parents during the mid-day so i didn't have to do any waiting. yippy :partyon: we used the punch system...a little out dated considering that in the 2000 election the county next to us their machine broke down and caught on fire so they had to wait for our county to finish and then we had to move it over there....so hopefully that won't happen this election

on the other hand i was at BK getting something to eat afterwards, each side of the stop light were Bush and Kerry supporters doing there thing, Great right? well that's what i thought to, they all had their honk for kerry or honk for bush, yadda yadda yadda. well this kid probably 20 or so, i know i'm not much older but they were all acting like kids, yelled "Kerry sucks, vote Nader". well apparently one of the Kerry supporters didn't like that response and the kid got out of the car and started argueing with the Kerry supporter. Mine you i think both were in the wrong, everyone has a right to their own opinions as long as they can justify it and everyone has a right to have freedom of speech and protest and such things as long as nobody gets hurt. Also the Kerry support was well into his late 40's early 50's. the Kerry support apparently didn't like what the kid said, spit in his face and then started a fist fight with him :erg: :xtrmshock .....now personally these people are the idiots that we allow to elect our president and we wonder why we keep the electoral college around, cause these grown people couldn't even resolve a conflict in opinion without resorting to violence....i was so sick to my stomach and enraged by these two's behavior i came into work wanting to scream. we all know how dirty this campaign has gotten, i guess it just hit closer to home actually seeing people duking it out instead of talking it out :(

T

Tkang_TKD

Nothing bad to report here in San Diego. Got in and got to vote in about 15 minutes time. Same with my wife. Poll workers were helpful, and marveling at the number of people that had turned out so far, and what they expected to turn out.

Oh, and there are some early exit poll numbers available too. Keep in mind that they are not necessarily indicitive of the final vote, but they are interesting. Link:

http://www.rawstory.com/exclusives/byrne/early_exit_polls_kerry_win_1102.htm

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
got back...spent about 40 minutes there....mostly waiting in line to re-register...i'm registered to vote from the 2002 election...but i have a different on campus address than 2002...so i had to re-register...after that i was in and out...there were a lot of judicial races I didn't vote for because they were running unopposed, so I saved myself some time and got out of there...

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Happy John Kerry Day! I already voted absentee. I've spent the day so far laying around the house and watching TV or playing on the computer.
Sean

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Touch'O'Death said:
Happy John Kerry Day! I already voted absentee. I've spent the day so far laying around the house and watching TV or playing on the computer.
Sean
Now THAT my friends is the true American way...

T

Tkang_TKD

I'm glad to hear that for the most part there hasn't been a lot of reported problems with the elections...

On another note, Zogby (Well respected by the conservatives) is predicting Kerry 311 Bush 213, with 27 Electoral votes too close to call(NV, CO).

Ping898

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Voted for the first time...all was easy and took bout 15 minutes total....got there just before the line started getting long....

P

PeachMonkey

Got to the polls at 6am. Stood in the rain, then inside, for about an hour. No other complaints (other than the nasty perfume of people around us).

Shodan

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Just got back from voting- had about a 20 minute wait- not bad. Was a bit surprised that I wasn't asked for an I.D. at all. They just asked me my last name and had me sign on the line. We had the scan-tron type of ballots which were interesting- the whole booth shook when you filled in the bubbles!! The scan-reader thingy was broken down so I just had to enter my ballots into a box. The helper lady there was a bit snippy......but maybe she'd been there all day and who knows what/who she's had to deal with. That's about it. Now.....will sit back, wait and see.......

:asian: :karate:

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Got to the polls at 0600. Stood around and handed out literature for some friends running for school board (they're losing badly)...did that till 1130 and then went and voted myself at my precinct. Went back for another hour till the weather got bad.

I behaved myself. When one jackass criticized one of my school board candidates, I ignored him. Can you believe that? I said nothing. I actually kept my peace. Debated some young Republicans to pass the time. Nice kids. Very respectful.

And now I wait.

Regards,

Steve

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
My absentee ballot wasn't mailed to me within enough time to mail it back, so I went today to drop it off at the nearest polling site. A ballot clerk checked to make sure I signed it, and I dropped it in the slot for absentee ballots. Completely uneventful.

Deciding how to vote was a bit of a chore for the past couple days. California has like 13 or 14 propositions on the ballot, some of which I had to think about and read through the text of the actual propisition to decide on. On one of them, I made an educated decision not to vote either way. It's sad to think that most people probably don't understand what these propositions are about when they vote on them.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
loki09789 said:
Why is it illegal to verify ID/Address of the person who is voting? I would figure that given the heat around this years election, that kind of verification process would be welcome if not a time frustration.
I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but:

It's illegal because it's illegal. Period. Only some first-time voters who registered in a particular way are required to show ID. I believe the gentleman was a polling official. It was still illegal.

No, I did not welcome it, and neither did a number of others on the line. I voted, and I registered my complaint. I have no idea what the disposition of my complaint will be.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Phoenix44 said:
I realize how ridiculous this sounds, but:

It's illegal because it's illegal. Period. Only some first-time voters who registered in a particular way are required to show ID. I believe the gentleman was a polling official. It was still illegal.

I believe it's illegal to ask a voter to show a picture ID, as not all eligible voters necessarily have one. (It is perfectly legal to go through life without a driver's license or state ID.) Some states allow poll workers to ask for address verification (usually mail addressed to them) if the person is not on the roster. At least, California did when I worked as a poll clerk in 1998.

Completely off-topic, but maybe interesting: I was 17 when I was a poll clerk. Too young vote, but old enough to be part of the process. I still find that funny.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
At 3pm, the polling location I was at had a total of 4 people there voting. And like 15 stations set up.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Zepp said:
Completely off-topic, but maybe interesting: I was 17 when I was a poll clerk. Too young vote, but old enough to be part of the process. I still find that funny.
Hey man, no funnier than being able to enlist in the Military at 18 and handle explosives, machine guns, assorted automatic firearms, missle launchers... but not be old enough to own a handgun!

:)