Vote day experiences

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
it's kind of interesting that a canadian is keeping us up to date on the american elections....no offense, flatlander....

just pointing something out

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ducked in between classes at 14:40, so I had a 10 minute wait in line and then filled out a little voter confirmation sheet which went to the polling official. They gave me an ID card with my personal information on it, which I put into the electronic polling machine. 2 minutes later, the ID card went back to the official and I was out of there. Very clean, very efficient.

OP
Flatlander

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
bignick said:
it's kind of interesting that a canadian is keeping us up to date on the american elections....no offense, flatlander....

just pointing something out
For me, it's all about context. We can reference this later.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel like I am going to puke with nervousness and excitement and fear and anticipation....

Come on, Ohio, come on, Michigan and Wisconsin, and Iowa, come on swing states!!

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Right now, it's down to Ohio.
Only 126,963 votes seperate the 2.
Kerry needs Ohio, otherwise it's over for him.
With 76% of the vote in, it's gonna come down to the wire....

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Took a quick stop to my polling place before going to Kenpo practice. I only had to wait 20 minutes in line at the local community center. The election official only asked for my last name, checked to see if I'm registered (yes), and had me sign my name. I picked up my ballot punch card. Unfortunately, the person before me left me a lot of loose chads that I had to clear off before I could insert my card for punching. All the questions were on the left side (not the butterfly type that used to give Florida headaches), so all I had to do was select my choice and follow the arrow to the right, and punch. Once done, I put my card into a jacket and deposited into the election box.

I miss the electronic voting machines from New Mexico. They were very efficient when I used to live there. I feel Utah is a bit behind with the punch cards....

- Ceicei

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, as a democrat here in Wyoming, I voted for several people who have lost so far. :)

The actual polling was fast, in and out in less than five minutes. Walked up, told them my name, they said oh, you must be Alicia's husband, I don't know these people, they remembered my wife voting 5 hours earlier, I was number 57 from my district to vote and it was 6pm. I guess there are some advantages to an EXTREMELY small district. Our ballots use a felt tip pen to connect the arrow, very straightforward, very hard to screw up. After filling in the arrows you feed it into the machine and head out. Then I went to my karate class.

Come on Kerry!

Lamont

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Current spread is 124,507. Kerrys gaining.
(I feel like I'm watching a horse race...2 ugly nags running and we're left dealing with all that poop.....)

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ohio now predicted to go to Bush.

Let the Legal Battles begin.
I'm gonna goto bed and dream of a world run by Amazons.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Blindside said:
Well, as a democrat here in Wyoming, I voted for several people who have lost so far. :)

The actual polling was fast, in and out in less than five minutes. Walked up, told them my name, they said oh, you must be Alicia's husband, I don't know these people, they remembered my wife voting 5 hours earlier, I was number 57 from my district to vote and it was 6pm. I guess there are some advantages to an EXTREMELY small district. Our ballots use a felt tip pen to connect the arrow, very straightforward, very hard to screw up. After filling in the arrows you feed it into the machine and head out. Then I went to my karate class.

Come on Kerry!

Lamont
same ballots here...but for me it was off to jujutsu...
actually, i helped with my instructors personal defense class at the university and no one else came for jujutsu so we just decided to call it a night after the self defense class....he says he owes me some death techniques or something for showing up....

Kane

Black Belt
Reaction score
Today was the first day I have ever voted in a election! It also seems the candidate I voted for has just about won the battleground states and might actually win! :p

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've yet to vote...not even registered.
Seems that I'm not alone either.
At this writing the polls show that 58,073,612 people in this country voted for Bush and 54,523,310 went for Kerry. That makes a total of 112,596,922 people voted. 112 million people out of 294,668,914 [source U.S. Census Bureau http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html ] in this country bothered to register and voted. That is less than a third of our population.
What does that say? What should Bush and Kerry think about it? What should the House, Senate, Congress and everyone else up on the hill think about it? What should we as a country think (and DO) about it?
Obviously something somewhere needs a serious overhaul.
Now I realize that probably because I (and the other 182 million plus people) that didn't cast a vote shouldn't complain about whomever ends up in office this coming January, but then I'd make a poll to find out WHY these 182 million didn't vote.

Still with whomever it's going to be (and what an awfully close race it is/was eh?) we can only hope for the best.
May God be with us in the next four years.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Many of those recognized by the United States Census are not eligible to vote.

In order to vote you must be over the age of 18. According to the 2000 census, there were close to 80 million citizens age 19 and lower, the vast majority of those would be under the age of 18.
In order to vote you must be a citizen.

There are over 10 million legal permanent residents that are not permitted to vote.
There are assumed to be more than 2 million illegal immigrants.
Additionally, 2 million Americans are currently incarcerated. Only two states allow serving prisoners the right to vote. Several states restrict voting rights from those not serving in prison, but with felony convictions on their record.

So while many choose not to participate in the electoral process, I think you will find your estimate of 'less than a third' incorrect. It will more likely be closer to 55% of eligible voters cast ballots this year. I'm sorry you didn't join us. We are a weaker nation because of it.

Mike

cdhall

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Please use this thread to detail any voting day experiences you would like to share.
I haven't read this whole thread but my 2 cents is that I voted Early in Travis County Texas on Friday. We are using Electronic Voting machines here. I had to wait about an hour to vote but it was a smooth process.

My wife voted on Election Day and there was no line to speak of at about 4pm and she went right through as well with no incident.

We both had to update our address since we moved but neither of us had any trouble with anything.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MACaver said:
I've yet to vote...not even registered.
Seems that I'm not alone either.
At this writing the polls show that 58,073,612 people in this country voted for Bush and 54,523,310 went for Kerry. That makes a total of 112,596,922 people voted. 112 million people out of 294,668,914 [source U.S. Census Bureau http://www.census.gov/main/www/popclock.html ] in this country bothered to register and voted. That is less than a third of our population.
What does that say? What should Bush and Kerry think about it? What should the House, Senate, Congress and everyone else up on the hill think about it? What should we as a country think (and DO) about it?
Obviously something somewhere needs a serious overhaul.
Now I realize that probably because I (and the other 182 million plus people) that didn't cast a vote shouldn't complain about whomever ends up in office this coming January, but then I'd make a poll to find out WHY these 182 million didn't vote.

Still with whomever it's going to be (and what an awfully close race it is/was eh?) we can only hope for the best.
May God be with us in the next four years.

295 Billion (total) minus 80 Billion (Children) gives us 214 Billion. Take away those that voted 113 Billion is 101 Billion left. Let us assume 26 Billion non citizens. Which is high in my mind, yet I went high for a point.

75 Billion people did not vote who could have. If they all voted a third party, then that third party would have won the popular vote. If that is possible then the arguement that their vote does not count, is not a valid arguement. People need to vote. If they had voted then it would have been closer or possible different in other states.

This is not sour grapes about who might win, this is about all the sour grapes of people whining and crying about My vote does not count, I am throwing it away, or what other excuse. It all counts. It looks like those in Ohio who voted for Nader could have a made the difference if they had voted for Kerry instead. Now many people will be upset with these Nader voters. Yet, some of those in the Democratic party should listen up to why these people voted otherwise, and address the issue. If their party cannot then maybe they will see more leave, and true third strong party will grow.

Vote is not just a right, it is a RESPONSIBILTY as a citizen of this country.

I would like to thanks those who voted. I care not who you voted for, just that you got out and voted.

My thoughts and my opinions.
:asian:

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Umm, Rich......You may wish to check those numbers.....
They seem a tad, umm, high? :)

(World Population is less than 10 Billion.)
:wavey:

I just did the math.... about 17,000 votes seperate Ralph Nader (Name on everything, but only 38 ballots) and Michael Badnarik (Name nowhere, but on 48 ballots).

By my count (based on Wash. Post #) 1,051,323 people voted against -both- Bush and Kerry.
Kerry - 57 Million
Bush - 54 Million
3rd - 1 Million

You know, with the right funding, and publicity, the thirds can overtake the big 2.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Voting experience was quick and painless. Even got a taste of Americana because there was a Bake sale and Clam Chowder dinner fund raiser being advertised for the room next door (proceeds went to the local Volunteer fire league)... thought that was a nice piece of color considering all the animosity around this election.

Question:

They used schools as polling sites in this area and if it was an Elementary, it was closed for students for the day. I know that they used the same sites in the past w/o shutting down the schools - is this some new homeland security protective measure or something else?

I don't have a problem with it either way, just wondering why the change.

Latest Discussions