Why Vote

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Every day I come into contact with people who who think G.W. Bush regularly drinks the blood of babies on the White House lawn. I also hear people talk about him as if he is the greatest President since Washington. The one thing that they have in common is that most of them didn't vote.

I have always believed that it was my duty as a citizen to be as well informed as possible and vote. It seems that most people don't think that their vote counts. It really surprises me when I get this attitude from young college students.

I have decided to do something about it but I need help. I would like to here the best non partisan arguments for voting. I am not an academic type but don't be afraid to get scholarly. I have to be able to do more than just hand out voter registration forms.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We who are fortunate enough to live in a country that allows (nay, encourages) us to participate in the process of governing have a responsibility to ourselves, our neighbors, and the country as a whole to participate meaningfully in the governing process. To me, this does not mean just voting, but also spending the time and energy necessary to be informed about the candidates and issues.

The two party system in the US has some advantages - but it does tend to polarize people on either side of an issue, and allows little in the way of a middle ground for compromise. Yes, I am a member of a party, and yes, the preferences of the party are a consideration when I vote - but I vote for each candidate and issue individually, on their particular merits. If you vote a party line and nothing else, you are not thinking - you are a sheep, following the herd. That doesn't mean you can't vote a party line - but you owe it to yourself, and your country, to vote for what is right, because it is right - not because the party that you belong to (and, in many cases, which your parents, grandparents, etc. belonged to) says that you should.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i have to admit that, as a long time voter-and-damn-proud-of-it, i'm having a crisis of faith at the national level.

it's pretty clear to me that the people i vote for don't run this country, even if they do get elected. power is in the hands of the leadership of the democratic and republican parties. and that's not an elected position.

at the local and state level, though, your individual vote can still make a huge difference. and, in theory, that difference can 'trickle up', if you will, and effect the decisions of those demo and repub oligarchs.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I vote on the issues, not the party. I've voted the full spectrum I think.

I tend to favor Green or Libertarian candidates, but have supported at least 1 communist, a constitution, and both of the "big 2". Oh, and that funny guy with the ears from a few years back.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
Every day I come into contact with people who who think G.W. Bush regularly drinks the blood of babies on the White House lawn. I also hear people talk about him as if he is the greatest President since Washington. The one thing that they have in common is that most of them didn't vote.

I have always believed that it was my duty as a citizen to be as well informed as possible and vote. It seems that most people don't think that their vote counts. It really surprises me when I get this attitude from young college students.

I have decided to do something about it but I need help. I would like to here the best non partisan arguments for voting. I am not an academic type but don't be afraid to get scholarly. I have to be able to do more than just hand out voter registration forms.

I used to think like that... but certain members of this board have me convinced it DOESN'T matter because the republicans will just steal the election regardless.

:shrug:

OP
Wild Bill

Wild Bill

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bob Hubbard said:
Oh, and that funny guy with the ears from a few years back.

The first vote I ever cast was for Perot. I watched one of his TV spots and was impressed that he was actually trying to explain himself instead of rattleing of a bunch of double speak.

The problem that I run into is that I often vote against a candidate I don't want instead of for a candidate I want. This is likely the same for most Americans. It would be nice to have candidates that I could really get behind and beleive in.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
First, I will say I voted for Perot, too.

What follows is MY opinions.

I vote for the local level stuff, but I don't put much stock in the national level voting, because, in my opinion, the 2 parties are the two hands of the same head. So to me the voting is just playing charades so that the people feel like they have had a say in the matter. The reality is that the things that really count are things that are common to both parties, but it is the insignificant things that people get all heated up about and choose sides. These things keep the population distracted from the REAL issues. IMHO.

Thanks for playing.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you don't vote, then you're letting other people make the decision for you. If that's how you like to run your life, fine. But then you can't really complain when you lose your civil liberties or gas costs $3.05/gallon or your schools are crap or you can't afford health insurance.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
If you don't vote, then you're letting other people make the decision for you.

If someone chooses to not vote IS still a decision. It has nothing to do with letting other people make the decision. In fact, OTHER people make the decision ANYWAY. It really is just charades.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Only electorate votes can elect a President of the USA. Which in a way is base on majority votes,(sometimes).

Why vote? ...many times it will make a difference....Aloha

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
If someone chooses to not vote IS still a decision.

One that makes no discernable statement, and that is irrelevant to the vote's outcome.

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I tend to liken voting to ordering a pizza. If ten people are trying to decide what pizza to order, and one person chooses not to say what they want, then they have only themselves to blame when they get stuck with a pizza they don't want.

We have compulsory voting where I live (Australia) and while it appears the Americans find the idea repugnant, I think voting is as much an obligation as paying taxes.

Latest Discussions