Vote day experiences

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
At my polling place, there were what appeared to be, three auditors sitting behind the poll workers. And I gave my name to vote, the poll worker marked off that I had voted (no semi-permanent ink for my thumb), as did the auditor sitting behind me.
There was, however, no line. We (myself and my wife) were able to get in and out of the polling place in about 5 minutes.

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I got to my polling place where I've been voting for the past 15 years. There was a guy at a table in the hallway outside the voting area asking people to wait in line to check addresses.

That is SO illegal. Only some first time voters are required to bring ID. I objected. So did several other people. Then I put in a complaint to Election Protection, and called the local TV station.

BTW, I live in a Republican district in a solidly "blue" state.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:
I got to my polling place where I've been voting for the past 15 years. There was a guy at a table in the hallway outside the voting area asking people to wait in line to check addresses.

That is SO illegal. Only some first time voters are required to bring ID. I objected. So did several other people. Then I put in a complaint to Election Protection, and called the local TV station.
After your objection, what happened?

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Phoenix44 said:

BTW, I live in a Republican district in a solidly "blue" state.

Why is it illegal to verify ID/Address of the person who is voting? I would figure that given the heat around this years election, that kind of verification process would be welcome if not a time frustration.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe only polling officials can ask for any kind of ID - and even if you are at the "wrong" polling place, you can fill out a ballot.

I waited about 1 hour to vote, which was not too bad. Mostly standing outside in the light rain, although the guy behind me in line had an umbrella, so I was sheltered a little bit. We had an interesting conversation. He thinks the education system is poor and wants it socialized, but on the other hand hates all taxes. (who pays for socialized programs?)

Anyways, voting went well for me, aside from the time, which for me was not a big deal. The voting interface we have in my county is pretty user-friendly for the most part, which I am thankful for.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
If they weren't election officials, it's illegal.
Way too many "monitors" out there.

Always keep your Voter Election Protection Card handy.
http://www.kerryca.com/docs/ep_card.pdf

Also, Know Your Rights!
http://www.kerryca.com/docs/p2tv_wallet.pdf

See also: www.myvotemyright.com
What credentials were or were not visible that would have rectified this problem?

If they are hired/voluntary officials and have the creditials (either visible or verified through the event supervisor) what is the problem?

If they are not 'voting officials', is it 'illegal' for someone there for event security to do ID verification/site security so that someone posing as a voter isn't sneaking into it? Wouldn't they still be part of the 'official' people because they were/are there for the purpose of making the voting process happen with safety and integrity?

If they are not 'official' in any way, oh yeah, that is definitely a problem.

Feisty Mouse

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We have these booths with large plastic tilted faces. There are usually 3-4 pages that you can electronically scroll through to vote. On each page a laminated sheet within the machine lists candidates, and a button next to the names are found to the side. When you select a candidate, a small light lights up next to the button.

The buttons are far enough apart that it doesn't get too confusing between candidates.

Once you are on the last page (and you can review the pages as much as you want), you hit a large red button at the bottom of the device, which records your vote.

J

jaymo

sounds like we have the same booth, fiesty mouse. i arrived at the polls at 6:50 am and it was SO PACKED that i didn't get to vote until 8:30. i have never seen a voting site so full of people! the longest i have had to wait was maybe like 5 or 10 minutes when it was dole v. clinton. this election is HOT!

qizmoduis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
At my polling place, there were two lines, one for each district. District 1's line snaked half way around the firehouse, whereas district 2 had exactly 10 people waiting their turn. I was in district 2. :partyon:

This was my wife's first voting experience, so she was a bit nervous about the whole thing. Luckily, there were no shenanigans going on outside of our place. There were a couple of guys handing out "sample" ballots, and that was it (and normal).

All-in-all, a very satisfying experience. Of course, not waiting line helps a lot.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back.
The whole experience:
There were about 4 people ahead of me, I told the person my name and verified my address and signed the book. My # was 173.

After about a 5 minute wait, I voted, and thats that. No problems, and my candidates were correctly listed on the ballot.

My one complaint is that 4 offices only had 1 person running for the spot, under all parties. But, thats a seperate issue.

Back to the problems of ID:
NYS Info: http://studentweb.hunter.cuny.edu/~philo/Voter_Info.html
IS IDENTIFICATION REQUIRED IN ORDER TO VOTEWILL I BE ASKED TO SHOW IDENTIFICATION AT MY POLLING PLACE?
- Maybe Not. Federal law requires poll workers to ask for it only if you fall into all 3 of the following categories: 1) you register by mail after January 1, 2003;are a first-time voter 2) you have never voted in a federal election in the county of your registration who registered by mail; and 3) you did did not provide your driver’s license number, non-driver’s license identification number, or the last four digits of your Social Security number; not complete the ID portion of the voter registration applicationor a copy of a current and valid photo ID or current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or government document showing your name and address.

WHAT IF I HAVE TO SHOW IDENTIFICATION?
- You should show (but not give to) the poll worker a current and valid photo ID or a copy of a current utility bill, bank statement, government check, paycheck, or government document showing your name and address. Doing this gives you the right to vote on the machine at your polling place.
More NY info: http://www.nycelectionwatch.org/bill.html

M

Melissa426

I had a 45 minute wait, fortunately inside, since it has drizzling here all day.
Electronic machine with big red button to push when finished ( same as Feisty). Very easy.
Poll workers verified my address, to make sure I was voting at the right precinct.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was out and about driving through town today. The Kerry supporters were out in force. At every intersetion of the major throughways, there were 4 or 5 people with Kerry Signs.

I think I am going to go buy some of them coffee and donuts or something.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just got back and I had a similar exerience. I waited about 5 minutes in line to report (six precincts reporting at my polling place). I had to ask for a provisional ballot since my absentee ballot was inadvertently destroyed. This took an additional 5 minutes, I voted which took about 5 minutes - no waiting in line - plenty of stations open which is sad but not unexpected as I think most people will vote after work.

I am proud to say I have no hanging chads, no partial punches, no double punches.

I even received a tracking number for my vote so I may find out if my vote is thrown out or counted. Better be the latter.

I noticed a security guard there. I also noticed that some voters parked in the "Buses only" lane at the elementary school where I vote. Interesting. I am not so sure I want people who can't read or comply with "Buses Only" at a freaking elementary school voting, but... it's their right too, I guess. And to capitalize on the stupidity, the volunteer who is supposed to keep that lane clear of vehicles was double-parked - right behind me so I could not pull out for 10 minutes. Great example.

I am very grateful to all the men and women who have lost life and limb for our right to cast a vote in this country. What a priveledge!

S

Spud

Had to wait in line for the nice octagenerian to ask each voter their name three times (she's a little hard of hearing). Got my chad generating punch card thing. Had to do a write-in candidate on the outer sleeve of the punch card.

Looked like one outside observer checking names off the list. Some guy came in and started asking people if they were so and so. One of the election officials asked him what he wanted. He was looking for a specific observer. Couldn't figure out why he didn't ask an official instead of pestering the voters trying to register (same day).

I fear the day when my state goes touch screen. My mom and brother have never used an ATM, cell phone or an answering machine. Their county still does check box ballots that are hand counted.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I just watched the Kerry's cast their votes on Television. The Senator took a couple of questions. Then he actually walked over to the people assembled in the street and started shaking hands. (as did Ms. Heinz Kerry).

The Secret Service looked a little panicked. They must be out of practice.

I wonder who they voted for?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
heading to the polls at 3...doesn't sound like there has been any problems around here yet....

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We filled out scantron questionnaires for our voting system. Not as bad as computerized voting, I suppose, but still not as tamper-proof as the old lever-and-clank system I remember from my home county. I'm in Tallahassee, FL, by the way.

The only thing I was upset by was the wording of one of the state amendments. After later discussion with my parents, I found out that I voted opposite what I wanted. Oh well, my fault; I didn't bother asking someone for clarification. But otherwise, no real problems. Just the scantron system that worries me.