Very proud of my son

kickngirl

White Belt
Reaction score
My 6yr old started Taekwondo last year and eventually my husband and I joined as well. We are members of ATA Taekwondo in Murphy, Tx. He is currently a purple belt and tests next week for his blue belt. A couple of weekends ago we decided to let him compete with juniors (7-9 year olds). We think he is very good and wanted to push him a little and see how he meaaured up. We also wanted him to know that he had to work if he wanted to get first place. As a tiny tiger he automatically gets first place. The first tournament he competed in was Atlanta and got 3rd in weapons and was one point away from 3rd in forms and did not place in sparring. When he returned he was so determined to do better. The next tournament in Louisiana he took 1st in Weapons, 1st in Sparring and 3rd in Forms. I am so proud of him. For his reward for working so hard we let him join leadership, his instructed is very proud of him as well. We look forward to working toward state champ this year. My husband is currently tied for 1st in weapons himself.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Excellent :) As long as you emphasize hard work and goal-setting I can't see where you can go too wrong! Just make sure he knows that you are proud of him for doing his best no matter what place he comes in.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congratulations to your whole family.
Be proud of your child and encourage him but never push him to hard. At that age he may decide to do other activities as he grows older and he needs to be able to experience all that a childhood offers. Remember to instill good sportsmanship and discipline and not become one of those parents we read about in the horror stories.
Make sure he comes to realize winning is not the sole goal but learning and making friends is also important.
Again congratulations to your whole family and may you all continues to have great enjoyment from your time in the arts

OP
kickngirl

kickngirl

White Belt
Reaction score
Thank you. He does know that we are very proud. We do also teach him that winning is not everything and making friends and having fun is also a part of it along with respect. I hope he continues to love taekwondo, but we will support him no matter what he does. This is a great organization and it has helped our family grow stronger physically and mentally. We have also aquired a second family and have strong bonds with friends from our school. We travel to tournaments together and the kids are like brothers and sisters.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Being proud is one thing also be very supported of him. Remember that a child need so much positibe feedback in everyday life as well to grow into a special person. Sounds like you have that under control. Getting involved in the school is a great thing and will keep the family going.

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you. He does know that we are very proud. We do also teach him that winning is not everything and making friends and having fun is also a part of it along with respect. I hope he continues to love taekwondo, but we will support him no matter what he does. This is a great organization and it has helped our family grow stronger physically and mentally. We have also aquired a second family and have strong bonds with friends from our school. We travel to tournaments together and the kids are like brothers and sisters.
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that you guys are allowing him to opportunity to fail at something. That may seem like I'm a cruel person or that I'm being a smartass but I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Far too often folks go through life with the tiny tigers mentality that they will get first place for just showing up. Allowing your kid to do that is doing a great dis-service to them. Taking the path that puts your kid in a position to understand that there are true rewards to hard work is a great thing to do. Allowing him the potential to fail puts that little bit of reality into his life that too many kids are missing. Pushing him to try his best, not pushing him to win, but to try his best is exactly the way to go about it (IMHO) and improving his skills and getting awards will reinforce what you folks are trying to instill. You have every right to be proud of your son but you should also be proud of yourselves for doing something that a lot of parents just won't do now a days. :asian:

Kwanjang

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At my school, I have several families that train, MA Training is much more fun if your family is is with you. Congrats!

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
You have no idea how happy I am to hear that you guys are allowing him to opportunity to fail at something. That may seem like I'm a cruel person or that I'm being a smartass but I mean that from the bottom of my heart. Far too often folks go through life with the tiny tigers mentality that they will get first place for just showing up. Allowing your kid to do that is doing a great dis-service to them. Taking the path that puts your kid in a position to understand that there are true rewards to hard work is a great thing to do. Allowing him the potential to fail puts that little bit of reality into his life that too many kids are missing. Pushing him to try his best, not pushing him to win, but to try his best is exactly the way to go about it (IMHO) and improving his skills and getting awards will reinforce what you folks are trying to instill. You have every right to be proud of your son but you should also be proud of yourselves for doing something that a lot of parents just won't do now a days. :asian:

My buddy Letch is a Marine of the same era I am. So it is all good. Anyway, the measure of a person is not the pieces of tin by any standard it is how hard they strive to do better everyday and with conviction. In the Marines they said "Perfection" however translated was "Honesty, Courage, Integrity." "Be loyal to your friends and family." "Do you best to not fail yourself or anyone else." Hard standards, those of us who had that conviction to try and do that system of values.

I tell my students "If you want to compete at a belt higher the believe you will achieve or don't do it." I am proud of your child and the encouragement you've given. Kudos to all.

Latest Discussions