So Proud of My Son!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My son started TKD a little over a month ago. As some of you know he has several neurological disorders that make processing actions and comprehension very difficult for him. It is almost impossible for the boy to move quickly, as it takes him longer to process/comprehend a directive than the average child. I have decided not to mention it to the instructors for a couple reasons.

I want Michael to have to work as hard as the other students, to have to start figuring things that are hard out for himself. I also figure these instructors are going to figure out pretty quick that Michael is going to take more time to learn something. And they have. Master Ha makes sure to spend extra time working with Mike and is encouraging when he tries hard. He has stated in the class that some people just cannot kick high (my son) and that the important thing is the focus and power.

This is a WTF organization but Master Ha stresses the martial aspects of TKD and has said TKD is 10% sport and 90% martial. He also does not hesitate to give Michael push-ups if he does not kia loud enough, or use enough power, or focus in his poomse.

Master Ha is there on Tuesday nights only, and the assistant instructor runs the Thursday night class. Last Tuesday was intense instruction on focus and power with Master Ha demonstrating high kicks and poomse but with poor focus and power, and then low kicks, and poomse with good focus and power. Michael struggles with focus and power because of his processing issues. For him to focus on one usually means the other area is lacking, because it is physically very difficult for him to incorporate both, until he has repeated an action so many times that he can work on the other aspect.

So, last night they had a kind of poomse competition between all the students. With all ranks competing together, not broken down by rank, for power and focus. My son is the only white belt. He worked so hard. Concentrating and trying to kia as loud as he could...and HE WON! Master Ha told him excellent job and applauded and shook his hand, and had the whole class applaud.

The nice thing about such a recognition is knowing that it's not handed out flippantly. Michael worked for it and was recognized for it. At the end of class when they were bowing out Master Ha asked the class why Michael got the championship for poomse that night. He had about 3 different kids come up and answer the question saying how Michael had worked hard, had power, showed improvement, focused, kia'd loudly, etc. Michael was just beaming.

I can't say enough how proud I am of him and how pleased I am with the instructors at this school. They take training seriously and have an obvious, genuine love for children. I feel blessed to have my son enrolled there.

:)

Martial Tucker

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's awesome, Pam! I remember how you agonized over finding him a good school, and I know how much of a "crapshoot" picking a school can be, especially when it's for a child. Funny how things always just seem to work out when you trust your judgement and intuition.

Congrats!

MT

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Pam!

Congrats to this fine, determined young man

:asian:

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's wonderful, Pam!

Congrats to this fine, determined young man

:asian:

I second this thought, well done to your son, strength and determination are an admirable trait to see in someone so young. Good one mate. ;)

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I am just so happy for him! :) :) :)

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
We're all happy for him too! :partyon:

And we're proud of you Pam for being such a great mom! :asian:

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
You should be proud. Sounds like you have a very hard working young man there.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
wow. I know this has been much on your mind since your move. Looks like you found a good school for him where he can learn and grow. Well done. You can relax now
icon12.gif

Ping898

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's Awesome Pam. Thanks for sharing!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing puts a bigger smile on my face then hearing of a child doing well. Send my congrats to him please Pam. That is just totally awesome! :ultracool

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kudos to son of Jade!!

Great job!!

Jeff

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh, Jade!

I'm SO PROUD of YOU, HIS AWESOME MOM, and thankful you found an AWESOME MASTER like Master Ha!

KUDOS to Son of Jade!!

:high5::partyon::high5:

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I remember how you were so on the fence about this school and that school etc. I am so very happy that he is compensating and that he and his teachers have found a great teaching/learning style.

This is a fabulous tale to hear.

MSTCNC

Brown Belt
Reaction score
We're all happy for him too! :partyon:

And we're proud of you Pam for being such a great mom! :asian:

I'll second that!

Tell Michael, "Way to go, Pal!" from his "Uncle" Andy! :wink:

Best Regards,

Andy

P.S. Next time I find myself in "Shy Town"... I'll have to buy the kid a milkshake! :wink:

OP
Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind words. Michael will be 13 next month and he absolutely LOVES his TKD class. (Even before this accomplishment). This is truly a fantastic school. I am sooooo impressed with the instructors (Master Ha AND the assistants). The schools website is very commercial looking but the school itself it totally dedicated to training and to teaching students all aspects of TKD with a surprisingly heavy focus on the martial aspect for a WTF school. I am going to be writing a thank you note to Master Ha and the assistant instructors for the wonderful job they do with ALL the children there.