Two-handed strikes?

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
The only recoil you should have in the air is that of the air molecules, so not any perceptable.
Anything with mass is resistant to motion...its called inertia.

The more mass...the more inertia.

Your hands have mass of course, and when they are accelerated forward there is an opposite and equal reactive force backwards against this inertia.

The laws of physics work in a perfect vacuum too...no air molecules required.

So, when you stand with your back one inch away from a wall, clasp your hands together in front, and suddenly extend them out in front with a quick punching action...your back will bump into the wall every time.

If you need more proof, pick up a 5 pound dumbbell, hold it in your hands and do the same thing. This time you will smack into the wall with a much greater force.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going to try to cover this in one post here (another good idea, Telfer).

(Originally posted by Telfer): Yes, thats what Ive said in more than one post...the book I referenced goes into more detail.

Actually, you posted once about bracing with a rear foot, which went against your other posts/scenarios, and this was commented. But bracing isn't really the idea, it is actually more power source generation. Just bracing means that you are losing power backwards, and tensing againts it which will slow you down and cause you to lose even more strength.

(Originally posted by Telfer): There is a critical problem actually...you may be able to generate a weak pushing action with a torso twist, but you will have minimal velocity. Its very slow.

A higher velocity is what you need to generate knock out power, and this only comes from contracting the tricep.

Stand in front of a heavy bag and this time dont twist your torso at all, but stand with a stable posture. Strike the bag only with your arm and you'll see that this is where your speed comes from.

Okay, you're missing a lot of information here. To start with, power (at it's most effiecient) comes from the entire body, and that means the entire body. You just use your arm, you lose power. You tense the way you have described you lose speed. You have missed the point entirely. Speed comes from relaxing, and power comes from putting your body behind it. Oh, and high velocity is not required for a knockout. In fact, many knockouts come from slower strikes, just so you know... You really do have a fair bit to learn, I suggest you go back to Tez's and Brian's posts, they have been the best here.

Your heavy bag exercise here is just bad mechanics. When I hit, for example, there is very little movement of my arm. In fact, almost none. It is all body movement, and believe me, that generates plenety of speed and power, certainly more than enough for a knockout. And yes, this has been tested (not in a ring, I might add), although it's not an experience I enjoy reliving.

(Originally posted by Telfer): Anything with mass is resistant to motion...its called inertia.

Actually the opposite. Inertia, basically, says that if something is in motion, then it will remain constant unless another force is applied. Mass is not resistant to motion, it is not really anything in regard to motion. It simply needs an external force to generate motion. Make sense?

Not entirely true... we'll get to that with your vacuum later.

Your hands have mass of course, and when they are accelerated forward there is an opposite and equal reactive force backwards against this inertia.

Nope, different Laws there. They work in conjunction, but are separate ideas. Inertia means you need to have another force to stop your strike (hitting a target/person/wall), equal and opposite reaction gives you your power by pushing (grounding/rooting) with your feet. Your physics is off.

Cool, this is a fun one. One of the Apollo missions tested the Laws of physics in a vacuum (told you we'd get back to this) by dropping two very different mass objects. According to the Laws, with no gravity to work as an inertial force (in this case speeding up motion rather than slowing it down... inertia works both ways, you know), both objects should fall at the same rate. These objects were a feather and a hammer. And they did fall at the same rate. So, in answer to your earlier comment, mass is not direcly related to inertia, but the force applied is.

So, when you stand with your back one inch away from a wall, clasp your hands together in front, and suddenly extend them out in front with a quick punching action...your back will bump into the wall every time.

Okay, you've changed things here. Now we're an inch away from the wall, with no support? You know, I'm going to leave that alone, as the rest of your construct is flawed in more ways.

Do you strike just standing there with no supporting footwork? No? Okay, then, your experiement is of no relevance. In fact it sounds like it has been deliberately designed to discredit anothers concepts, as it has no relevance or basis in the reality of the idea you are discussing. Try getting into a common posture (for you and your system, there's no point giving you one of mine, as this has to work for you), then repeat your experiment. If you are getting the same result, then talk to your instructor/coach, because you are missing the point entirely.

If you need more proof, pick up a 5 pound dumbbell, hold it in your hands and do the same thing. This time you will smack into the wall with a much greater force.

Yes, because more force is being applied, not due to more weight/mass. But again, if you are doing this the way you are describing, stop, because you are just wasting your time.

Your physics is out, your understanding of body mechanics is flawed, your knowledge of power generation is frankly immature at best. Again, I'm going to repeat myself here and suggest you pay a little more attention to those trying to help you improve, instead of coming back with non-arguments. We are trying to help you, you know.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
A higher velocity is what you need to generate knock out power, and this only comes from contracting the tricep.

You honestly believe you can generate more power with your tricep than with the entire body? I think you should ask your instructor about this, could help your training a LOT.

Only "real men" punch with only their arms. :lol:

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of your comment are addressed extremely well by Chris Parker, but I'll add a bit.

There is a critical problem actually...you may be able to generate a weak pushing action with a torso twist, but you will have minimal velocity. Its very slow.
No, actually you can create significant push and velocity with body structure and forward movement.

This is just wildly incorrect. If your power is coming strictly from you arms, your power is pretty weak. And tension in muscle slows them, this is basic physiology.

Stand in front of a heavy bag and this time dont twist your torso at all, but stand with a stable posture. Strike the bag only with your arm and you'll see that this is where your speed comes from.
I never did twist the torso. There is a lot missing from your understanding here that would probably best be explained in person.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Anything with mass is resistant to motion...its called inertia.

As Chris explained, no.

Yes, and since the hands once in motion would tend to stay in motion, then only an outside force would cause a 'recoil'.

SMH, no it won't, if you are using your mechanics correctly and generating power from you body instead of your arms.

Are you getting this from an instructor, or coming to your own conclusions?