Two-handed strikes?

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
One thing never seen in any style I've looked at is a two handed striking technique...as in holding the hands locked together in some way to increase power.

It happens occasionally in WWF of course, but is there anything in a serious style???

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a few techniques that utilize both hands to reinforce the strike or block. If you're talking something like the classic Kirk hammer-chop -- probably not a good idea.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
One thing never seen in any style I've looked at is a two handed striking technique...as in holding the hands locked together in some way to increase power.

It happens occasionally in WWF of course, but is there anything in a serious style???

I have to wonder though...how effective that really is. IMO, you're going to be limited as to what you can throw.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know a few techniques that utilize both hands to reinforce the strike or block. If you're talking something like the classic Kirk hammer-chop -- probably not a good idea.
Mind you, if I had teeth like that, I wouldn't be grappling!!
icon10.gif

Ironcrane

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I know of a few strikes that uses both hands at the same time. One is to palm strike both ears, and that can hurt a lot. I've used a double handed attack against a less serious sparing partner only 1-2 times. It really messed them up, as it was completely unexpected, and disrupted the flow.

But other then that I wouldn't normally use them (Except for the palm to the ears) as you're in a very vulnerable position.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Wing Chun utilizes a two handed strike, called 'po pai jern' (double palm strike). It can be found in the second empty handed form (traditionally in the 3rd set), and also in the Mook Yan Jong (dummy) form, the 5th set or po pai set. The width of the hands can be varied, depending on how or where you strike an opponent. In the strike, the hands are spread like the wings of a butterfly, only vertical. That hand position is also adapted from the 'muy fa ng jern' or plum flower 5 palm position concept.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In GoJu there are kata with two handed strikes. Ever though they appear to be hitting at the same time, they are not. Although seconds apart, and hard to see for sure, they do damage. Off of a parry or redirect. both hands or fists hit two different areas. The first hit breaks down their body defenses causing a shock value with the second one doing the real damage. You see it in boxing with the old one/two hit. Jab to the face sets up the body shot while the opponent is still recovering from the first hit. In GoJu and many other Martial Arts the strikes are done almost simultaneously.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Isshinryu there are reinforced punches and blocks in the Seiuchin kata.

I have asked about how useful these are, and I while I still have some questions about the likelihood I would ever use them in a real self-defense application, there is an least one bunkai I was given that makes sense.

We use a right-handed punch from the obi where we grip the right hand with the left and punch straight out in a lunge punch. The bunkai was given to me that it was useful for a punch delivered when one's back is against a wall. We generate power by twisting our hips and full motion of the opposite arm (elbow) to the rear. If one cannot do that, then one can generate additional power (beyond just the muscle strength of one arm) by using the opposite arm to assist. Hmmm. I guess I could see it happening.

Here is a good demonstration:

[yt]
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KiEIb61ZEpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KiEIb61ZEpc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
[/yt]

You see the reinforced punch immediately after the backfist into the left palm, and it is followed by two reinforced middle-body blocks.

I'm not positive that I agree with the bunkai for the reinforced middle-body blocks, but I am a newbie. I will wait and see if the application becomes clear to me at some point in the future.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo there is a self defense technique in which you clasp your hands together with the fingers interlocked and punch to the throat area. I believe that is what you were asking as opposed to a double attack or a supported technique.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm aware of a couple double spear hand strikes, or similar strikes with knuckles, as well, as a few others have mentioned.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
In Kajukenbo there is a self defense technique in which you clasp your hands together with the fingers interlocked and punch to the throat area. I believe that is what you were asking as opposed to a double attack or a supported technique.
Thats almost exactly what I had in mind yes thanks...like a two-handed uppercut to the chin or throat area.

In an MMA fight the grappler usually keeps his head down and low as he lunges for the legs, very hard to strike from that angle so I've been thinking about alternatives.

Do you know the name of this Kajukendo tech???

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In Isshinryu there are reinforced punches and blocks in the Seiuchin kata.

Wrist locks are the most common explanation of those movements.

If you are a strike is powerful enough that you need to re-enforce it and you are not spreading the impact across both arms its going to hurt and possibly break your own arm.

As to the original question, power generally comes from turning the body into the strike, if both hands are striking you can't put your body behind it and it won't have much force behind it.

Of course in about 300 years this limitation will be overcome by Cpt James Kirk, but the rest of us fall short of the awesomeness required to overcome that physical limitation.

Guardian

Black Belt
Reaction score
Unless my opponent is totally helpless (then I seen no need for it) or I'm totally desperate, I would not suggest using anythinng that leaves me defenseless. Just my view on it.

Last edited:
OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
As to the original question, power generally comes from turning the body into the strike, if both hands are striking you can't put your body behind it and it won't have much force behind it.
Yes, try this experiment...stand with your back against a wall, clasp you fists together and thrust outwards as fast as possible.

You will find your back doing a big bounce off the wall as some of the energy kicks back and is wasted.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK, well, thanks for that. I am no expert, but I shared what I knew of my art and provided an example. Wasn't really hoping to be told what I'm being taught is incorrect. I was simply trying to answer a question by a newbie. Little did I know it was a set up. Next time I won't bother. Welcome to MT, Telfer.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, try this experiment...stand with your back against a wall, clasp you fists together and thrust outwards as fast as possible.

You will find your back doing a big bounce off the wall as some of the energy kicks back and is wasted.
Yes, very good Isaac Newton.. By your apparent lack of understanding of the most fundamental MA concepts such as rooting / grounding / centring [each art has its own nomenclature], you are demonstrating a limited viable martial art experience. Do please state clearly into the microphone and for the record where you intended for this thread to end up before I put you on ignore haha..

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, well, thanks for that. I am no expert, but I shared what I knew of my art and provided an example. Wasn't really hoping to be told what I'm being taught is incorrect. I was simply trying to answer a question by a newbie. Little did I know it was a set up. Next time I won't bother. Welcome to MT, Telfer.
I watched your video and hit the thanks button for your contribution Bill.
The technique in question is performed at 36 seconds into the clip right?

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Do please state clearly into the microphone and for the record where you intended for this thread to end up
It doesnt have a destination Jen...and your complaint is a total mystery to me.