Two-handed strikes?

just2kicku

Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats almost exactly what I had in mind yes thanks...like a two-handed uppercut to the chin or throat area.

In an MMA fight the grappler usually keeps his head down and low as he lunges for the legs, very hard to strike from that angle so I've been thinking about alternatives.

Do you know the name of this Kajukendo tech???

It is grab art #5. The fingers are locked together to lock the hands of someone grabbing you from the front.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
It is grab art #5. The fingers are locked together to lock the hands of someone grabbing you from the front.
I had never heard of Kajukendo until you mentioned it...interesting stuff!

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Working with your hands joined can be interesting, it is a good method for exploring elbows and forearms and as a training aid to hinder habitual grabbing. It is interesting for those who shoot handguns using two hands, it is interesting for bind/handcuff exploration and it is interesting to explore working while wounded or exhausted.

Regards
Brian King

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats almost exactly what I had in mind yes thanks...like a two-handed uppercut to the chin or throat area.

In an MMA fight the grappler usually keeps his head down and low as he lunges for the legs, very hard to strike from that angle so I've been thinking about alternatives.

Do you know the name of this Kajukendo tech???

In MMA the fighter would be better to keep head at his opponent's thigh height, jammed up against the leg with his head up. To keep the head low and down invites a choke and knee to the head probably at the same time. The defences against takedowns aren't usually strikes but evasive moves such as the sprawl.
Don't ever in MMA and BJJ interlock fingers, it's asking for broken fingers.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
As to the original question, power generally comes from turning the body into the strike, if both hands are striking you can't put your body behind it and it won't have much force behind it.

Swing it in a circular fashion and don't interlock your fingers. you can put your body behind it with plenty of force. And it's useful if you're cuffed (if you manage to get your arms in front of you).

But you're right if we're talking about straight strikes.

Generally speaking, however, I'd rather be able to use my hands separately, rather than stuck together.

Josh Oakley

Senior Master
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, try this experiment...stand with your back against a wall, clasp you fists together and thrust outwards as fast as possible.

You will find your back doing a big bounce off the wall as some of the energy kicks back and is wasted.

Do the same experiment one-handed and see what gets more. You'll find it's the one-handed strike.

bigmoe

White Belt
Reaction score
Bill your sensei did not teach you incorrect i know him very well ask on monday or thursday to demenstrate reenforced punches and blocks you will understand.The uppercut in the kata also mentioned is not reenforced your left hand shows contact to a person bill he will show that to you to

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
As to the original question, power generally comes from turning the body into the strike, if both hands are striking you can't put your body behind it and it won't have much force behind it.

That is not an all together true statement. Power can be generated by moving the body forward (stepping) and extending the arms at the elbows from a bent to straightened postition. Enough force can be generated to throw or snap a human body (opponent) backward or forwards when contacted. If penetration of the chest is sought through striking, the energy is distributed into the body cavity and various organs can be bruised, damaged, or dislodged. Many chinese arts use that concept all the time.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Working with your hands joined can be interesting, it is a good method for exploring elbows and forearms and as a training aid to hinder habitual grabbing.
Like breaking a grab to the lapels yes.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Don't ever in MMA and BJJ interlock fingers, it's asking for broken fingers.
Excellent point...better to use two hands clasped one over the other without interlocking.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bill your sensei did not teach you incorrect i know him very well ask on monday or thursday to demenstrate reenforced punches and blocks you will understand.The uppercut in the kata also mentioned is not reenforced your left hand shows contact to a person bill he will show that to you to

I think you misunderstood me. I don't have a problem with reinforced punches or blocks. I was responding to Telfer's request, as he said he had never seen a two-handed punch or block. So I described one and provided a link to an example, and then I find that he knows quite well what a reinforced punch is, he just wanted to criticize it. It was a setup, and a cheap shot at that.

I wish I had not posted, I do not like being suckered.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was responding to Telfer's request, as he said he had never seen a two-handed punch or block. So I described one and provided a link to an example, and then I find that he knows quite well what a reinforced punch is, he just wanted to criticize it.
I'm critical of it???

I plan on using it!!!

What I said in the opening post is that I had never seen it as part of a serious MA system.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In jiu-jitsu I learned a double lapel grab escape using one hand clasped inside the other and uding the arms as a wedge to force the hands off the lapels, then a return strike tothe bridge of the nose (like a two handed hammer fist)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Excellent point...better to use two hands clasped one over the other without interlocking.

Yeah, and with apologies to Captain Kirk whomade that double-handed strike famous, (as well as the jumping two-footed side kick!) the only effective double-handed strikes I know keep the hands separated by at least a palm's width.

The first is Wing Chun's straight-on double front-punch. It takes advantage of WC's peculiar structure, centerline alignment and short-power technique. It is also enhanced by stepping forward and putting more body power behind the punch (see the post by Zepeda).

The second, more powerful double punch is seen in some versions of the Wing Chun (WT) Biu Tze form and called "double thunder-punch". It is delivered with a slight sideward rotation, chopping downward and twisting to center with both hands held as though grasping an axehandle. The body torque makes this a very heavy strike. I've used a similar strike in Eskrima. In any case, it is a more specialized technique than a single handed-punch, but when the right situation arises, its a very effective tool to have.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, try this experiment...stand with your back against a wall, clasp you fists together and thrust outwards as fast as possible.

You will find your back doing a big bounce off the wall as some of the energy kicks back and is wasted.
Unless you actually understand proper body mechanics. The same would happen with a single arm punch. Unless, of course, you understand how to throw a punch correctly.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
The same would happen with a single arm punch. Unless, of course, you understand how to throw a punch correctly.
A single hand strike benefits from the twisting action of the torso, whereas a two handed strike loses energy from a more static posture.

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
A single hand strike benefits from the twisting action of the torso, whereas a two handed strike loses energy from a more static posture.
I would debate this twisting action of the torso. Those that know power transfer will understand, those that don't, won't.

blindsage

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If you stand with you back flat against a wall and throw a single arm punch with torso twist you will still get a bounce off of your opposite shoulder. But this is only if you are only talking about generating power in a boxing style method (and you don't properly understand the body mechanics of that method). There are other ways. Again, a proper understanding of body mechanics would demonstrate how your original statement is not absolute 'fact'.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, well, thanks for that. I am no expert, but I shared what I knew of my art and provided an example. Wasn't really hoping to be told what I'm being taught is incorrect. I was simply trying to answer a question by a newbie. Little did I know it was a set up. Next time I won't bother. Welcome to MT, Telfer.

To be fair to Telfer, it wasn't him who poo-poo'd your suggestion from Seuichin is was a different poster (Andrew Green) who did not agree with the bunkai explanation.

As a side note, practice that reinforced from a wrist grab and trapping their hand on your right wrist with your left. When you pull back for the chamber to your waist and then punch forward again, it does some VERY interesting things to their joints and posture.

OP
T

Telfer

Green Belt
Reaction score
If you stand with you back flat against a wall and throw a single arm punch with torso twist you will still get a bounce off of your opposite shoulder.
Yes, the torso pivots around the spine and the two opposite motions of either side cancel each other out.

With a two handed strike there is no canceling out, but the recoil can be minimized by changing the angle of posture or even the angle of the strike.

Latest Discussions