True masters Don't worry about rank?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fbettincourt said:
Mr. Rousselot,

I believe that we were both playing nice on this thread. You posted something about Mr. Oyata wearing a white belt. I said that I thought he wore a gold belt, and provided the picture to prove it. Your post had some nasty undertones along with a picture.

You do not know me, nor I you. I only post on topics that interest me. I have not "targeted" you, but rather have asked why, repeatedly, that you have to be condescending in most of your posts. I just feel that you can get your point across without being rude. Honesty is one thing and rudeness is another. You, Mr. Rousselot, are just plain rude.

and yes...Peace!

FB
Oh yeah I guess you don’t have any sort of agenda…… no it’s just by chance that 90% of your posts are directed towards me or pick issue with something I said…..no you didn’t target me…no absolutely no agenda….:rolleyes:

Mr. Oyata used to wear a black belt at one time as well…..so what’s your point other than being an troll.

So what if you think my posts are rude …who the hell are you to play “internet cop”???

Are you a “Mod” now??? Last I checked you weren’t.

If you don’t like what I post or how I post don’t read it.

F

Fbettincourt

Mr. Rousselot,

Though you repeatedly try to get under my skin, you will not. I obviously have gotten under yours. Not by design or agenda. Just by pointing out that you are indeed someone who has many personal issues that need to be worked out. I truly hope you find some kind of peace. Life is too short. I have said that before, but I guess you have skipped over that part.

Peace!

FB

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Fbettincourt said:
Mr. Rousselot,

I truly hope you find some kind of peace. Life is too short. I have said that before, but I guess you have skipped over that part.

Peace!

FB
“peace, peace, peace, peace, peace, peace”

You are about as annoying as one of those harekrishinas at the airport….and sound just as about as sincere.

F

Fbettincourt

When you offer someone an insult and they do not take it, to whom then does the insult belong?

Peace!

FB

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Congrats “Lord Krishna” fbettincourt

Since you rarely if ever post on the topic of a thread and don't contribute anything of worth you have earned a spot on my “ignore list”.
I will take some good advice
schild30.gif
.......meanging you.

Bye....
wavey.gif

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod Note

A General Warning to all concerned.

Please refrain from personal attacks. Use the Ignore Feature, that is what it is for.

Repeated misuse of the Report Bad Posts will not be tolerated. If you don't 'like' someone, then Simply don't reply to them.

~Tess
-MT S. Mod

JAMJTX

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The idea of Kyu/Dan ranking was introduced to the Japanese Martial Arts by Jigaro Kano, the founder of Judo. He used white belt for kyu and black for dan.
These ranks are used in other areas outside of martial arts. You will find artists and musicians that hold ranks and titles that I am sure most would think were found only in martial arts.
Kano modeled the ranking system after that used in the game of GO. If you look at the game, you see white and black pieces.

I don't know where the notion of some kind of swimming connection came from.
I have heard that Kano used black belts because the swimmers wore black ribbons. But I was never told that by a Japanese and the only Japanese I ever met who new something about both never heard of any such connection or swimmers wearing black ribbons.

The old story about white belts getting old and changing colors is a nice story, but it's just that.

The different colors for different kyu grades came, I believe, from the europeans as competition started to become bigger business.

With the size of some classes, it is hard for a teacher to keep close track of everyone's progress. So actually, the color belts is a good idea for in the class. Any instructor can walk into class, look around at the belts and have an idea of what level everyone is at.

I recall a story of an Aikido teacher who applied for a position of chief instructor at a school. The board of directors called him in to teach a class in order to observe him. When he got there he looked around and saw all the students were wearing hakama. He assumed they were all atleast Shodan, since in most schools wearing the hakama starts at Shodan. He called this student to be uke for the first technique. As uke was thrown he began to scream in fear and probably pain. He could not take the breakfall.
When uke got up, this teacher was surprised that he was not too well trained. It turns out it was a class of white belts.

Having some kind of standardization in the use of belt colors is useful. But it is more for the teachers than the students.

To be useful outside of the class, the colors would need to be standardized based on kyu grade. Some schools use different colors for different grades. 5th kyu is green in some places and purple in others. At a tournament or clinic, the belt color is meaningless in letting the judges or instructor know what level you are at.

I believe General Choi, the father of Tae Kwon Do held a black belt ranking in Shotokan, the style that TKD was based on.

Gray Phoenix

Green Belt
Reaction score
True Masters dont care about rank, and neither does any good student. There are too many McDojos in existance for the color of the cotton to mean anything. I've actually seen people go to the local MA store and buy a black belt just to say they have one. My own professor found out someone had forged a blackbelt certificate with his name on it.

So in short: Cotton color dictates what detergent to use in the wash.

Only knowledge matters.:asian:

K

Ka'alako

Gray Phoenix said:
True Masters dont care about rank, and neither does any good student. There are too many McDojos in existance for the color of the cotton to mean anything. I've actually seen people go to the local MA store and buy a black belt just to say they have one. My own professor found out someone had forged a blackbelt certificate with his name on it.

So in short: Cotton color dictates what detergent to use in the wash.

Only knowledge matters.:asian:
Good point. We shouldn't care or worry about rank... HOWEVER, there is a certain amount of responsibility that comes with rank. I could wear a white belt around my waist and avoid all conflict with those that wear colored or black belts. That is wrong, in my humble opinion. As for me, I choose to get in the ring or on the mat with other black belts; I share with and teach the lower ranked.

An interesting tidbit regarding washing: Sumo players generally do not wash their loincloth/belt.

DuneViking

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Some great posts on this subject. Personally, I find worrying about attaining rank as a goal in itself is not appealing to me. I do believe in being aware of rank and respecting those who have attained it -balanced by how they display it. As for myself, starting back in the mid 70's and studying on and off, I have more "time" in than required for my ranks and oft passed on testing to improve my skills to a level I was happy with for the rank involved. Having attained a rank, I strive to be responsible and humble in exercising the privilges thereof. I do not think a "true master" nor a "true practioner" worries about rank to the exclusion of the learning.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree-true Masters are not obsessed with rank. However, rank as manifested by belt color serves several purposes.

1. It provides psychological motivation for most students to keep training. Color belts are a Western invention, because most students would not accept training for several months or years while remaining white belts. It might work in Japan or Korea. It wouldn't work here.

2. Rank provides a tangible way for students and the public to understand the level of an Instructor. Many people don't understand or can't relate to the intangibles of higher rank (manners, etiquette, credibility etc.), but even non-students understand 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th Dan. They may not know precisely what those ranks entail, but they relate on a certain level to them.

There is a difference between possessing rank, and wearing your rank on your sleeve (or belt). True Masters may have a certain rank, but their actions speak far more about their rank and level than any belt. They have no need for ostentatious belt stripes, "Grandmaster" belts or uniforms, or promoting themselves at every opportunity. I think many people are confusing having rank with loudly promoting it at every opportunity.

And being a true Master or Grandmaster means a lot more than just being willing to step onto the mat. A junior Dan can do that. A true master is a living embodiment of everything a human being can be-good job, educated, good family, excellent credibility in his community and in the world. He may teach, he may not. But he always works to promote a positive image of his art to the world.

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I began this thread as a note to any and all martial Artists to always be true to themselves and be humble...

Just because you have a Black belt dosn't mean you better than anyone, it only means you have a resonably high experince level and a higher Ciriculum, but this dosn't mean your necessarly "Better" than anyone. Granted you deserve respect for all those years of training. What I want you all upper belt ranking Martial Artists to rememmber is that you where a white belt at one point too. And everyone has the same potential and that potential is Infinate.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:
I began this thread as a note to any and all martial Artists to always be true to themselves and be humble...

Just because you have a Black belt dosn't mean you better than anyone, it only means you have a resonably high experince level and a higher Ciriculum, but this dosn't mean your necessarly "Better" than anyone. Granted you deserve respect for all those years of training. What I want you all upper belt ranking Martial Artists to rememmber is that you where a white belt at one point too. And everyone has the same potential and that potential is Infinate.
Not to be insulting or rude but I find it odd that you of all people would lecture someone on “morality” and “proper conduct” since you were knowingly using a licensed Trademark without permission and only stopped using it after considerable amount of pressure. I don’t disagree with what you said in your post but find it ironic coming from you.

Maybe you have learned your lesson....

OP
Sin

Sin

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
1) stay on topic

2) We are in the process of getting 100% permission

Our mistake dosn't have anything to do with this thread

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sin said:
1) stay on topic

2) We are in the process of getting 100% permission

Our mistake dosn't have anything to do with this thread
1)You were the one that brought the "proper conduct and attitude” thing up.

2) Don’t expect anything over night. It may take several years for you to get it.....and I hardly doubt it was a "mistake" since you were informed of the error on more than a few occasions and even copped an attitude with me and failed to correct it until pressured to. Which is why I found your post on morality and ethics amusing.

K

Knifehand

RRouuselot said:
I see by your constructive non-inflammatory comment you were just trying to be helpful.
There was nothing constructive or non-inflammatory in my statement... it was a straight cheap shot at the both of you for your silly resentful arguement. I just went through one of those and I am tired of seeing it happen on this board. If you two want to be opinionated and bicker... thats what PMs are for.

To the Victor goes the spoils. To your corners and let the rest of us talk, for once.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Knifehand said:
There was nothing constructive or non-inflammatory in my statement... it was a straight cheap shot at the both of you for your silly resentful arguement. I just went through one of those and I am tired of seeing it happen on this board. If you two want to be opinionated and bicker... thats what PMs are for.

To the Victor goes the spoils. To your corners and let the rest of us talk, for once.
If you don't like reading something then don't...... You see your “snipe” about “childish bickering” was just as off topic as what you were whining about....so you that makes you a hypocrite

Status
Not open for further replies.