training

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, I've asked this before, but what actual training do you have under an instructor in qigong? Or is it all from reading?

Oh, and that really is not advice I offered there, but an objective appraisal of how you are presenting yourself. The straight defensive responce actually more confirms it than anything else. But the bit about such a schedule being detrimental is actually quite good advice, and believe me, comes from a lot more experience than you may realise.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, I've asked this before, but what actual training do you have under an instructor in qigong? Or is it all from reading?

Oh, and that really is not advice I offered there, but an objective appraisal of how you are presenting yourself. The straight defensive responce actually more confirms it than anything else. But the bit about such a schedule being detrimental is actually quite good advice, and believe me, comes from a lot more experience than you may realise.

I have some books an dvds from Dr. Yang. Next year i'm gonna attend a few of his seminars.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your words aren't discouraging, i understand where your coming from with this. "For one thing, what "basics" are you training?" So far my main focus has been on qigong breathing, understanding the qi circulatory system in the human body. I havn't been messing around with various technics from different martial arts. I paced myself doing one thing at a time. So far its just muay thai technics. punches,knees,elbows,kicks. Finding an instructor is a must and that's what i'll do.

You really should get an instructor. If you think your base is Qigong from no actual training you'll just end up hurting yourself and developing bad habits that will be hard to break, Quigong is a tough style and takes a lot of understanding of technique and mechanics. You can't mix techniques from style just willy nilly, even if you consider them basics. There's a Japanese style front kick, Korean, Chinese, Phillipino, Thai, French, etc, all look like the same kick to the untrained eye or just like throwing your leg up there.

Each style is developed within a specific culture for specific purposes, and trying to parrot what you see or what you think you see isnt really doing anything. Does a western stance work with a Japanese kick? Does Chinese based hand positioning mix with a Japanese style defense, Thai? Does a western punch deliver as much power when delivered from a Thai stance, Japanese, Chinese, Korean?

Things don't mix well when you don't know the guiding philosophies, the subtle mechanics, how power is delivered. Even correct form is a tough topic because a couple millimeters off one way or another destroys speed, power, efficient movement. Many styles don't depend on strength, but on proper form to mechanically deliver lots of power.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So can you clarify if you have any training whatsoever under any instructor in any system at all?

One, my close friend with 31 yrs experience in karate. It was a week of lessons then it stopped. What ever else i learned was from books and dvds ei. Qigong

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then this'll sound like we're repeating ourselves, but...

Get an instructor. Develop a training schedule with their advise. Forget this overblown romanticised unrealistic approach. It would do more harm than good. Til then, you really don't have anything to work with.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You really should get an instructor. If you think your base is Qigong from no actual training you'll just end up hurting yourself and developing bad habits that will be hard to break, Quigong is a tough style and takes a lot of understanding of technique and mechanics. You can't mix techniques from style just willy nilly, even if you consider them basics. There's a Japanese style front kick, Korean, Chinese, Phillipino, Thai, French, etc, all look like the same kick to the untrained eye or just like throwing your leg up there.

Each style is developed within a specific culture for specific purposes, and trying to parrot what you see or what you think you see isnt really doing anything. Does a western stance work with a Japanese kick? Does Chinese based hand positioning mix with a Japanese style defense, Thai? Does a western punch deliver as much power when delivered from a Thai stance, Japanese, Chinese, Korean?

Things don't mix well when you don't know the guiding philosophies, the subtle mechanics, how power is delivered. Even correct form is a tough topic because a couple millimeters off one way or another destroys speed, power, efficient movement. Many styles don't depend on strength, but on proper form to mechanically deliver lots of power.

I understand, i've put a lot of deep thought into this and understanding the concept behind a move is a must in any art. My priority right now is to get a good instructor an focus on one art.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Then this'll sound like we're repeating ourselves, but...

Get an instructor. Develop a training schedule with their advise. Forget this overblown romanticised unrealistic approach. It would do more harm than good. Til then, you really don't have anything to work with.

Ya, guess I'll have to learn an foreign language an relocate to asia.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ha, nothing so drastic, really. Somewhere that speaks English should be fine. Oh, and it's not understanding the "concept" behind a move, after all, the concept behind a punch to the face is, well, a punch to the face! It's more about having a congruent way of approaching a combative method, without it, you'll never have anything that'll have any benefit or success at all (which is sometimes refered to as the systems "guiding philosophy", really a synthesised set of values and beliefs that give rise to the behaviours; the physical techniques, training methods, power source, angling, and more. But it needs to be congruent within itself in order to work).

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The philosophy behind certain arts are amazing and it intrigued me, in terms of a lifestyle, one of a martial artist is a simple yet healthy one. Therefore it suits me. I just wana find my limit, find some peace.
ryo, I do not think that what is being advised here by the other members need conflict at all with your personal goals :)

Please do seek out the counsel of a good, world-beyond-youtube instructor - or instructors as there is nothing to prevent you training multiple compatible arts simultaneously. Then when you have begun to train, by all means train your *** off, practice as much as you desire within the time you have available to you. In that way you will find progression with your chosen instructor is quickened by your training dedication and desire to find your own personal limit.

fyi I think your tenacity - if you utilise it positively - is a laudable trait :)

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ha, nothing so drastic, really. Somewhere that speaks English should be fine. Oh, and it's not understanding the "concept" behind a move, after all, the concept behind a punch to the face is, well, a punch to the face! It's more about having a congruent way of approaching a combative method, without it, you'll never have anything that'll have any benefit or success at all (which is sometimes refered to as the systems "guiding philosophy", really a synthesised set of values and beliefs that give rise to the behaviours; the physical techniques, training methods, power source, angling, and more. But it needs to be congruent within itself in order to work).

Therefore i need a good instructor and practice the right thing in order for it to work. I get ya :ultracool

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ryo, I do not think that what is being advised here by the other members need conflict at all with your personal goals :)

Please do seek out the counsel of a good, world-beyond-youtube instructor - or instructors as there is nothing to prevent you training multiple compatible arts simultaneously. Then when you have begun to train, by all means train your *** off, practice as much as you desire within the time you have available to you. In that way you will find progression with your chosen instructor is quickened by your training dedication and desire to find your own personal limit.

fyi I think your tenacity - if you utilise it positively - is a laudable trait :)

Thanks, no youtube, i buy the dvds :D , ya i'll get me a good instructor/s and train as hard as i can.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Even buying DVDs is misleading. At best they are reference materials for someone who already knows the technique, or it could be promoted as teaching you something.

I have DVDs, but it was because I wanted to have a video of my grandmaster doing the kata I learned at school. Even learning's the same style slightly drifts from one instructor to another depending on his build, felxability, ability, etc. It's always good to go back and see the prototype of how it should be done.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yup, nothing beats an actual instructor. Though i think its good to have informative dvds on something ya interested in.That way you have a better understanding when you actually train.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
To each his own path.

And here i thought someone of experience would give me good advice, some times its better to watch animals in their natural environment, than to consult with man.

You are getting good advice. You just don't recognize it.
For the purpose of self defense, you really don't need to train like terminator unless you are up against a drug kartel. And even then, just moving would be a better idea.

Also, while you are training 8 hours per day, you are not working so you don't have a decent income so you can't provide a good life for your loved ones. You are also not giving them any attention so they'll be estranged after a while and you'll come back to an empty house if things get bad enough.

Taking care of people includes all those 'boring' details like having a stable job, getting a house in a good neigborhood, having the resources to put your kids in a good school, being able to pay a trustowrthy babysit if you ever need one, going to pt evenings at school to talk with the teachers, going out on a date with your wife, and dozens of other important things. Learning to fight is just one more thing to do. But honestly, not the most important one either (living in a safe neighborhood is more effective than you being terminator).

So don't go obsessing about becoming a killing machine because it will be counterproductive in the bigger picture if you are never at home and not working a good job.

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
holy carp.

The MOST i ever trained was summer as a teenager. And i couldnt even to it now.

wake up basic pushups, pull ups, crunches. Relax a couple hours. off to the gym. weight train. Leave. eat lunch. Practice ma. Go for a run. eat a snack. Back to the gym. weight train again. Eat a early supper. If i already ran i wouldn't if i hadnt i would. Go through the wrestling workout from highschool wrestling, or go to wrestling practice when i did it. When in ma i would go before then, when not i would spend a hour on the heavy bag... Eat again.

Bed.

I ate whatever i could shove in a food processor that looked healthy with raw eggs and lots of the carnation instant breakfast or old people drinks out of cans.

Also had a manual for marine commando workouts. I followed that for a brief time.
Like i said, i couldn't do it now........ Looking back i think i was nuts.

edit: and tuna fish. i had this thing with eating tunafish right out of the can with the old people carnation or ensure type drinks......and snacked on alot of life cereal...

Last edited:
OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
You are getting good advice. You just don't recognize it.
For the purpose of self defense, you really don't need to train like terminator unless you are up against a drug kartel. And even then, just moving would be a better idea.

Also, while you are training 8 hours per day, you are not working so you don't have a decent income so you can't provide a good life for your loved ones. You are also not giving them any attention so they'll be estranged after a while and you'll come back to an empty house if things get bad enough.

Taking care of people includes all those 'boring' details like having a stable job, getting a house in a good neigborhood, having the resources to put your kids in a good school, being able to pay a trustowrthy babysit if you ever need one, going to pt evenings at school to talk with the teachers, going out on a date with your wife, and dozens of other important things. Learning to fight is just one more thing to do. But honestly, not the most important one either (living in a safe neighborhood is more effective than you being terminator).

So don't go obsessing about becoming a killing machine because it will be counterproductive in the bigger picture if you are never at home and not working a good job.

I recognize all what they said , they gave me good advice and I've came up with a good conclusion thanks to that advice. You know just quoting one or two lines, without reading all my replies is out of context. Ah well.

And i get ya the simple things in life are of greater importance.Yup living in a safe place is way better than being a terminator. I dont plan on being a terminator lol.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
holy carp.

The MOST i ever trained was summer as a teenager. And i couldnt even to it now.

wake up basic pushups, pull ups, crunches. Relax a couple hours. off to the gym. weight train. Leave. eat lunch. Practice ma. Go for a run. eat a snack. Back to the gym. weight train again. Eat a early supper. If i already ran i wouldn't if i hadnt i would. Go through the wrestling workout from highschool wrestling, or go to wrestling practice when i did it. When in ma i would go before then, when not i would spend a hour on the heavy bag... Eat again.

Bed.

I ate whatever i could shove in a food processor that looked healthy with raw eggs and lots of the carnation instant breakfast or old people drinks out of cans.

Also had a manual for marine commando workouts. I followed that for a brief time.
Like i said, i couldn't do it now........ Looking back i think i was nuts.

edit: and tuna fish. i had this thing with eating tunafish right out of the can with the old people carnation or ensure type drinks......and snacked on alot of life cereal...

woah now that's a schedule :ultracool

bribrius

Green Belt
Reaction score
woah now that's a schedule :ultracool

mostly because i had plenty of time and much of it was free and cheap.

spent probably a hundred bucks on survival books. For fun on weekends i would go treking through the woods with my back pack, knife and axe and shovel.

Dig holes and cover them and make traps. Make shelters. (i ended up going military if you haven't guessed). Did some hunting depending on what was in season and had access to a pool and lake so swimming.

The escrima was five bucks a class then. The gym was free. With wrestling we had the weight room at our school plus we got free gym memberships. So weight training didn't cost anything. Running only required good sneakers.

Heavy bag and weights at the house were only three hundred bucks or so. The weights bought second hand.

Much of it was keeping the current weight while building stamina and strength. That is why it is a blend of weight training and running. I weighed in around 160 to 170 lbs. then depending. Benched 240 lbs. Couldnt run for five miles but could jog it. For comparison i am 230 pounds now and am probably only a inch taller just under 6' 2".

It is the food that costs money. And without having the dough and the weight lifting and health food supplaments being expensive (and not common back then) the carnation and ensure type drinks were within my price range.

Much of it was to do with wrestling. Making your weight and being as strong and quick as possible.

KELLYG

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Ryo,

You are one enthusiastic dude. I appreciate that a lot but I tend to agree with what most of the people before me have stated. I also believe that other than just general conditioning, if you are practicing what you have seen on DVD's Utube Video's etc, you are going to miss so much of the information that is so subtle that it can not be seen by someone who has no experience. In my opinion unless your fundamentals are solid you will be practicing crap for the duration of the marathon these training sessions. I would much rather have 10 minutes with someone that knows and understands techniques, application, and theory than spin my wheels. Train smarter not harder.