training

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
k, i'm thinking of doing 6-7hrs of training 5 days a week. My question is in terms of nutrition how should modify my diet to suit the 7hrs of intense training.Currently my diet consists of 85% greens/non meat and 15% meat/fish.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
k, i'm thinking of doing 6-7hrs of training 5 days a week. My question is in terms of nutrition how should modify my diet to suit the 7hrs of intense training.Currently my diet consists of 85% greens/non meat and 15% meat/fish.

A lot depends on you. Your age, current condition, and height/weight. If you're talking about doing 6-7 hours per day for 5 days per week, you need to think seriously about whether or not your body can take that if you're not in superb condition already.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score

6-7 hours a day sounds like a professional athlete's schedule, are you? The average person around here is training 2 hours a day or those of us who teach who do more. I guess if you are really doing 6 hours every day then you are a professional and we seem like simple enthusiasts. I'm sure someone around here can help you out, but I would start by looking at the diets of other pro athletes, what does Roy Jones Jr eat?

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Currently id say my body's capable of coping with the 7hrs, though I'm not a super muscular guy, im slim weighing 125.I got a lot of free time on hand, an wana see how far i can go. I feel at peace when I train.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
6-7 hours a day sounds like a professional athlete's schedule, are you? The average person around here is training 2 hours a day or those of us who teach who do more. I guess if you are really doing 6 hours every day then you are a professional and we seem like simple enthusiasts. I'm sure someone around here can help you out, but I would start by looking at the diets of other pro athletes, what does Roy Jones Jr eat?

Nah man I'm not an athlete. Though certain stuff i do on a daily basis needs a lot of strength to get done.

rlp271

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't jump in with 6-7 hours a day of hard training. Have you ever done a single day training like that? As far as nutrition is concerned, depends on how hard you're working. Michael Phelps eats around 10,000 calories per day when he's in his peak training period.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Context is essential here, but for the record, this sounds completely unthoughtout and unrealistic, frankly. What you are describing is an extreme training situation, taken on after you have built up to it, and even then a very rare situation to find at all. 6-7 hours, 5 days a week of "intense training" is a recipe for injury and problems, especially for someone who, in their profile, has a complete list of details about themselves as "noob" in art studied.

You also have to realise that as you have no actual art listed, and have put this in the "General" section, we have no way to know exactly what you will be training in, and therefore have no way of giving any real advice as to what will be suited to your needs (if you go ahead with this rather insane plan). BJJ competitive training will have certain needs, which are different from traditional karate training, which are different from Kenjutsu or Iaido training, which are different from boxing training, which are different from Koryu training, which are different from Wing Chun training, which are different from Judo training, which are different from.... etc etc etc.

So we will need more details, but bear in mind that the realistic answer may well be "settle down, relax, certainly do some home training, but your approach here is overboard with no real benefit". Just so you know.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmm, maybe he saw a movie and thinks you can train every day for a month and become a walking death machine. But yeah it is an unrealistic goal, that's why I asked if he was an athlete.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you work? Who has time for a job and 6 hours of training daily?

Currently I'm unemployed, thus having the hrs needed to undergo this training. I've given it quite a lot of thought.

@rlp271
Training for the most, id do 2hrs of abdominal breathing in the morning round 4-6am, an when i get home in evenin I'd do 2hrs of physical activities, punches,elbows,knees,kicks,loosen ma joints etc. Thats when i had a job.

@Chris Parker Why say its unrealistic, until you've tried it. Thing is man i've done my research an set my goals an learnt various methods in some of the particular arts to achieve what i want. Undergoing something like this isn't easy, it would require alot of energy, so i learnt ways to efficiently use my energy. Certain aspect of qigong showed me the human body's potential. And yeah i did have noob on my profile, as i only take whats needed of a art ..what works for me. The arts are amazing if i had more time an someone to teach me i'd learn them all. Ah an sorry if i posted this the wrong place. Feel free to move to the right section if needed.

@Omar B here we go again with unrealistic are you belittling the human body. I'm 23 an instead of focusing on the material stuff, id rather put effort into training. Life's amazing an i've started a journey i don't wana stop.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Currently I'm unemployed, thus having the hrs needed to undergo this training. I've given it quite a lot of thought.

@rlp271
Training for the most, id do 2hrs of abdominal breathing in the morning round 4-6am, an when i get home in evenin I'd do 2hrs of physical activities, punches,elbows,knees,kicks,loosen ma joints etc. Thats when i had a job.

@Chris Parker Why say its unrealistic, until you've tried it. Thing is man i've done my research an set my goals an learnt various methods in some of the particular arts to achieve what i want. Undergoing something like this isn't easy, it would require alot of energy, so i learnt ways to efficiently use my energy. Certain aspect of qigong showed me the human body's potential. And yeah i did have noob on my profile, as i only take whats needed of a art ..what works for me. The arts are amazing if i had more time an someone to teach me i'd learn them all. Ah an sorry if i posted this the wrong place. Feel free to move to the right section if needed.

@Omar B here we go again with unrealistic are you belittling the human body. I'm 23 an instead of focusing on the material stuff, id rather put effort into training. Life's amazing an i've started a journey i don't wana stop.
Hey have you started up your own school yet or do you have any thoughts of doing so? I would in on like some of that action!

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score

@rlp271

Why say it's unrealistic? Well, because of the way you described it, as "intense training" for 6-7 hours 5 days a week. Training for that long, at that regularity, fine, done that myself for periods at a time, but not "intense" all that time. You will collapse, your body will not cope. Of course, that is assuming that you are meaning something even halfway to what I consider "intense" training. Again, there is no system/art listed, so what you mean is still rather up in the air...

As for your "I only take what is needed from an art...." concept, you do know how ridiculuous that sounds to those who have spent years, even decades, studying an art, yeah? It is almost universally said by those who are young, barely more than children themselves, who have, honestly, no real idea what they're talking about. You mention qigong, how long have you studied, who did you study under etc? I probably won't know who you mention, but other members here will certainly have some knowledge.

Oh, and what I meant by the location you posted it in was that it gives no indication of what you are training in (if anything at all, from the sounds of things), such as the Japanese Arts, Korean Arts, Internal Chinese, or anything else. But if your main question is on nutrition, the Health and Nutrition section may have been best.

But really, my main point is that we have no idea what you mean by "intense training", or what your training may entail, intense or not, so we really can't comment on what your diet should be. I can, however, spot where some more reality may be needed.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Why say it's unrealistic? Well, because of the way you described it, as "intense training" for 6-7 hours 5 days a week. Training for that long, at that regularity, fine, done that myself for periods at a time, but not "intense" all that time. You will collapse, your body will not cope. Of course, that is assuming that you are meaning something even halfway to what I consider "intense" training. Again, there is no system/art listed, so what you mean is still rather up in the air...

As for your "I only take what is needed from an art...." concept, you do know how ridiculuous that sounds to those who have spent years, even decades, studying an art, yeah? It is almost universally said by those who are young, barely more than children themselves, who have, honestly, no real idea what they're talking about. You mention qigong, how long have you studied, who did you study under etc? I probably won't know who you mention, but other members here will certainly have some knowledge.

Oh, and what I meant by the location you posted it in was that it gives no indication of what you are training in (if anything at all, from the sounds of things), such as the Japanese Arts, Korean Arts, Internal Chinese, or anything else. But if your main question is on nutrition, the Health and Nutrition section may have been best.

But really, my main point is that we have no idea what you mean by "intense training", or what your training may entail, intense or not, so we really can't comment on what your diet should be. I can, however, spot where some more reality may be needed.

I didn't mean any disrespect to those who their art is a life style. I respect them all, they've taken a journey i have just started. And i deeply respect that. Guess i went a little overboard in saying intense, well to me it would be intense, to you guys who've trained all your life it would be child's play. I've set my own personal mountain i have to climb. Whether it takes me a few months or yrs to achieve that i will do. In terms of content for now im focusing on muay thai technics. With a aspect of qigong as i wont want my body in a constant yang state. Thus i use the abdominal breathing. Ive thought of the rest hrs needed for my body to recover.

@Jenna well for now its my own personal goal i've set. A school nah, its just a path i wana take, I'm simple dunno if its cuz all this island life is getting to me.

Martial arts just kinda clicked with me, words are easy to say, but to achieve something threw hrs of sweat, torn muscle, lower backaches. Waking up the next day the pains the alarm clock telling you ya alive. After a while there's none. Its just ya body adjusting. Why wouldn't i want to push myself some more.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, let's try this again. The schedule you are proposing is only really found in professional athletes, and for a beginner, it is really not recommended for many reasons. To begin with, you don't have the experience to train the correct behaviours, so you could very easily be training in habits and actions that are incorrect, or even detrimental to your health, and longevity in the arts (incorrect kicking methods damaging joints, for example), such training takes an incredible toll on the body, and you do need to build up to that (you don't start weightlifting with twice your bodyweight, do you?), and far more. In fact, a small amount of regular training can give better results faster than the schedule you are proposing, as it allows you to train longer (without recovery time for injuries due to overstress), and allows you to focus your training on more specific aspects, getting them just right.

To give you an idea of what I mean, we train various programs with thirty day training regimes, the idea being that you train something continuously for thirty days (you miss a day, you start again). There are physiological, psychological, and even traditional reasons for this, by the way. The thing to realise here is that the training only needs to be 10, 15 minutes a day to be greatly effective (although I have done programs that required much longer... 1hr swordwork ones, 2 hour Bojutsu ones, even longer on occasion), and I can always see if a student has actually done the home training, as the development is typically that pronounced. For those who want to go the extra mile, you can extend it to 100 day programs, which again, I have done a number of times. But each of those was for 30 - 45 minutes each, as that is sensible. One of our other seniors used to try to do a 1 hour swordwork program using a weighted suburito (extra heavy wooden sword), one handed, with weights added to his wrists and ankles as he went. He never succeeded in completing one 100 day program like that, because his body would rebel and he would get sick, making him stop the program. He tried it 4 times, so you know.

The thing here is to be sensible about it, long hours if you're not training sensibly and properly, are really just wasted time and effort. You don't need to do that. The best advice is to find a qualified trainer, and trust them to guide you. If you are just doing this yourself, you won't get anywhere near the results you're thinking of.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, let's try this again. The schedule you are proposing is only really found in professional athletes, and for a beginner, it is really not recommended for many reasons. To begin with, you don't have the experience to train the correct behaviours, so you could very easily be training in habits and actions that are incorrect, or even detrimental to your health, and longevity in the arts (incorrect kicking methods damaging joints, for example), such training takes an incredible toll on the body, and you do need to build up to that (you don't start weightlifting with twice your bodyweight, do you?), and far more. In fact, a small amount of regular training can give better results faster than the schedule you are proposing, as it allows you to train longer (without recovery time for injuries due to overstress), and allows you to focus your training on more specific aspects, getting them just right.

To give you an idea of what I mean, we train various programs with thirty day training regimes, the idea being that you train something continuously for thirty days (you miss a day, you start again). There are physiological, psychological, and even traditional reasons for this, by the way. The thing to realise here is that the training only needs to be 10, 15 minutes a day to be greatly effective (although I have done programs that required much longer... 1hr swordwork ones, 2 hour Bojutsu ones, even longer on occasion), and I can always see if a student has actually done the home training, as the development is typically that pronounced. For those who want to go the extra mile, you can extend it to 100 day programs, which again, I have done a number of times. But each of those was for 30 - 45 minutes each, as that is sensible. One of our other seniors used to try to do a 1 hour swordwork program using a weighted suburito (extra heavy wooden sword), one handed, with weights added to his wrists and ankles as he went. He never succeeded in completing one 100 day program like that, because his body would rebel and he would get sick, making him stop the program. He tried it 4 times, so you know.

The thing here is to be sensible about it, long hours if you're not training sensibly and properly, are really just wasted time and effort. You don't need to do that. The best advice is to find a qualified trainer, and trust them to guide you. If you are just doing this yourself, you won't get anywhere near the results you're thinking of.

Thanks for the advice , its much appreciated. I get ya, though man the arts i'm interested in there aren't any instructors over here who teach it. The most dominant art over here is karate. Guess I'll have to travel overseas.
That's why i took the initiative to do my own thing. And i guess that's probly how most arts originated. Some guy or gal some thousands of yrs ago did their own thing.

Everyone who replied thanks for ya advice :ultracool

Ah and i'll try that 30day regime , looks within reach.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's a popular concept, but really I doubt it. People learnt from others, or from experience, not from "I think I'll do something a bit different". That would be a recipe for disaster where these arts are concerned. The only way you could conceivably come up with something yourself is to put yourself in a situation where your survival/success depended on it, and see if you make it. But that doesn't actually mean you've learnt anything, necessarily.

Karate is pretty dominant everywhere, but you may find (if Muay Thai is your prefered) that heading to a karate school may give you enough grounding to do at least part of your home training schedule, and put you in good stead when you get the chance to study Muay Thai. Or is it another art that you're interested in (in which case the Muay Thai techniques you're training with may not be of any use at all, really)?

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That's a popular concept, but really I doubt it. People learnt from others, or from experience, not from "I think I'll do something a bit different". That would be a recipe for disaster where these arts are concerned. The only way you could conceivably come up with something yourself is to put yourself in a situation where your survival/success depended on it, and see if you make it. But that doesn't actually mean you've learnt anything, necessarily.

Karate is pretty dominant everywhere, but you may find (if Muay Thai is your prefered) that heading to a karate school may give you enough grounding to do at least part of your home training schedule, and put you in good stead when you get the chance to study Muay Thai. Or is it another art that you're interested in (in which case the Muay Thai techniques you're training with may not be of any use at all, really)?

True, everyone learns from someone or experience. Yet there's always a flaw in a particular movement. Whether in terms or speed or a blind spot. Sometimes doing something differently can minimize the risk. That'd be survival instinct do/die. I understand that.

Well i got a friend of mine who's a master in karate, though muay thai movements seem alot more natural to me. My body can cope quite well. I'll give karate another shot.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm interested in other arts, though its tuff getting marterial on um. Book stores over here got nil.. I'll have to do some traveling.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Okay, recognising that this is about the third time I've asked in various forms, what arts are you interested in/do you train in? And really, books are fine for intellectual understanding, but are nothing to do with training in a system, but I must remind you that if you have internet access, surely you can get to amazon.com, budovideos.com, or any of a hundred other sites to get books/DVDs etc?

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You are a beginner who thinks he can take on that kind of training regimen? Realistically you'll hurt yourself really badly, plus it'll be really hilarious hearing about how you can't make it through the first week going at that pace.

Guys like Michael Phelps, Roy Jones Jr, Usain Bolt, I could go on. Professionals are the only ones who can take on such a schedule and even they are under close scrutiny and guidance from coaches and yet even they get hurt. There's a reason athletes only last so long in the game and even they don't train that hard the whole time. Hell, even one of the great body builders of all time Mike Mentzer wrote widely on HIT training which simply is short workouts at high intensity yeilding greater results, a method adopted by most sporting professionals.

Training 6-7 hours a day without a definate end time or end goal will kill you. Pros train that way for maybe a month before competition ... but their regular schedule is usually closer to the rest of us.

Latest Discussions