training

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, recognising that this is about the third time I've asked in various forms, what arts are you interested in/do you train in? And really, books are fine for intellectual understanding, but are nothing to do with training in a system, but I must remind you that if you have internet access, surely you can get to amazon.com, budovideos.com, or any of a hundred other sites to get books/DVDs etc?

Bro i got over 117GB worth of vid tutorials in arts im interested in, showing the technics, detailed explanations behind each movement and different angular views of the technics. From pressure points to boxing. Still i've come to a realization you gotta do this one at a time. That's why i pace my self to focusing on one thing at the moment. Like they say a empty vessel can be filled.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Bro i got over 117GB worth of vid tutorials in arts im interested in, showing the technics, detailed explanations behind each movement and different angular views of the technics. From pressure points to boxing. Still i've come to a realization you gotta do this one at a time. That's why i pace my self to focusing on one thing at the moment. Like they say a empty vessel can be filled.

Okay, now I want you to realise something, because this is very important. Ready?

Martial arts are not their techniques.

Okay? They're not. What they are are representations of the core, or guiding philosophy, of that system, and taking the mechanics of one, tacking on the techniques of another, and so on, is doomed to failure, as it just doesn't work like that. Pick one art, and one art only, til you get a fair amount of experience in that, and only then think about adding to it from other sources. And I notice that you are, once again, avoiding actually answering the question: What arts are you interested in? Because there is actually a very good chance that I will have a fair idea of a lot about whatever you talk about, especially if it is Japanese, but even if it's Korean, Thai, or a number of Chinese systems. And as such, I can point out the shortcomings of your approach there.

What you don't have in your videos is an explaination of the philosophy of each art as distinct from others, as each is just showing what they have to offer. You are not going to get results from just putting techniques together with no base. You need a system first.

As you say, empty vessels can be filled, but it's best if it's only one thing filling them. Water is fine by itself, but it'll dilute anything else you put in there. And adding something poisonous will render anything else undrinkable. Oh, and son? I'm not your bro. I'm just trying to help you here.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. You are a beginner who thinks he can take on that kind of training regimen? Realistically you'll hurt yourself really badly, plus it'll be really hilarious hearing about how you can't make it through the first week going at that pace.

Guys like Michael Phelps, Roy Jones Jr, Usain Bolt, I could go on. Professionals are the only ones who can take on such a schedule and even they are under close scrutiny and guidance from coaches and yet even they get hurt. There's a reason athletes only last so long in the game and even they don't train that hard the whole time. Hell, even one of the great body builders of all time Mike Mentzer wrote widely on HIT training which simply is short workouts at high intensity yeilding greater results, a method adopted by most sporting professionals.

Training 6-7 hours a day without a definate end time or end goal will kill you. Pros train that way for maybe a month before competition ... but their regular schedule is usually closer to the rest of us.

I get ya, i wont kill myself, what would be the purpose if i ended up dead lol. All professionals were once beginners that's the fact you leave out of it. Every one has a different lifestyle, and that determines want one can an cannot do, yours may be a lot easier than mine.

The thing is if my body can't cope with it, i won't continue, i'll just revise and build up gradually till i reach my goal. I got a lifetime to achieve it why rush.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes, all athletes were once beginners. But you don't go from zero to a professional schedule overnight literally. It's clear from your previous posts you lack the knowledge of martial arts or excersize physiology to do anything but hurt yourself. Videos and online tutorials are not a substitute from a coach/sensei/sifu (you know, people who know what they are doing). There is a lot more to a martial art that copying from videos, believe me, a few millimeters one way or another could get your hurt or render a technique ineffective. You need someone to interact with who can correct you.

I have 24 years in the martial arts and even I am pretty sure I know what I'm talking about, and even I follow the guidance of someone more advanced than myself, as does everyone else here.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Okay, now I want you to realise something, because this is very important. Ready?

Martial arts are not their techniques.

Okay? They're not. What they are are representations of the core, or guiding philosophy, of that system, and taking the mechanics of one, tacking on the techniques of another, and so on, is doomed to failure, as it just doesn't work like that. Pick one art, and one art only, til you get a fair amount of experience in that, and only then think about adding to it from other sources. And I notice that you are, once again, avoiding actually answering the question: What arts are you interested in? Because there is actually a very good chance that I will have a fair idea of a lot about whatever you talk about, especially if it is Japanese, but even if it's Korean, Thai, or a number of Chinese systems. And as such, I can point out the shortcomings of your approach there.

What you don't have in your videos is an explaination of the philosophy of each art as distinct from others, as each is just showing what they have to offer. You are not going to get results from just putting techniques together with no base. You need a system first.

As you say, empty vessels can be filled, but it's best if it's only one thing filling them. Water is fine by itself, but it'll dilute anything else you put in there. And adding something poisonous will render anything else undrinkable. Oh, and son? I'm not your bro. I'm just trying to help you here.

Sorry if i got to familiar. My Apologies. What arts are you interested in? Arts I'm interested in Qigong, Wing Chun, Muay Thai,Tae Kwon Do,Hwa Rang Do,Tai Chi,Pressure Points

I understand, filling ya vessel with to much can lead to a deadly poison not yielding life. Thats why i focus on one thing at a time.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes, all athletes were once beginners. But you don't go from zero to a professional schedule overnight literally. It's clear from your previous posts you lack the knowledge of martial arts or excersize physiology to do anything but hurt yourself. Videos and online tutorials are not a substitute from a coach/sensei/sifu (you know, people who know what they are doing). There is a lot more to a martial art that copying from videos, believe me, a few millimeters one way or another could get your hurt or render a technique ineffective. You need someone to interact with who can correct you.

I have 24 years in the martial arts and even I am pretty sure I know what I'm talking about, and even I follow the guidance of someone more advanced than myself, as does everyone else here.

I understand, I'm not saying i'll not take your advice into consideration, as all advice given to me is with regard to my well being, I guess the 6-7hrs is out of it, i'll stick to my regular 4hrs 2 in the morning an 2 in the evening.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
Get an instructor, actually learn an art. Don't train and piecemeal what you "think" is an art based upon your extensive watching of videos. You'll just end up destroying your joints. I do so hope you have good health insurance because I don't want your purposefully thrashing yourself to be on my tax dollars.

Tell me, what movie were you watching and how drunk or stoned were you when you came up with this idea?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're 23, and currently unemployed, and are going to spend the major part of your waking hours in some form of martial arts training... when are you going to look for work? Unless you happen to be independently wealthy, that seems to me to be where your priorities should lie. Put the effort your thinking about putting into this martial arts training endeavor into finding a job, instead. That'd be my advice. Then you can afford actual training with an instructor who can advise you on how to make the most of your training.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Get an instructor, actually learn an art. Don't train and piecemeal what you "think" is an art based upon your extensive watching of videos. You'll just end up destroying your joints. I do so hope you have good health insurance because I don't want your purposefully thrashing yourself to be on my tax dollars.

Tell me, what movie were you watching and how drunk or stoned were you when you came up with this idea?

I don't drink or smoke. Its one of those goals i've set for myself, may not achieve now but eventually meaning a few yrs. Chances of getting a Muay Thai Instructor over here is nil. When ya live in the tropics and most peeps don't even know the island how can i get an Instructor. I know a video doesn't show the full aspects of an art. I know that to well. An actual Instructor's much better. Though situation is there's none. Guess i should stick to my qigong.

@jks9199 thanks for the advice, i wouldn't consider myself wealthy, my bills can be paid, family's taken cared of, so i got no worries.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
was just stating, ah well forget it.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
ryo, it is good that you want to study the arts and want to train a lot.

Now, as has already been pointed out, the arts ared based in principles rather than technique. This is why learning the basics is the first step, and I am not talking basics like throwing a kick or a punch. It is proper movement and to internalize this takes a minimum of a few years of training unless you are some kind of god`s gift to MA. The arts as we know them today were not created by some little funny guy on a mountain top who suddenly decided to come up with a system of hitting people. Every past master learned the basics from those before him/her and then put their own spin on it. You can`t get there just by mixing a bit of this and that.

My advice to you would be:

-Find a good instructor. Good instructors are rare. Make this art your "core". You can cross train after a while , but I wouldn`t advice to do this in the first year or so.

-Ease into it. Start with a few lessons a week, you can increase the number of hours gradually. Training just a little every day helps a lot. Be patient with yourself.

Sorry I can`t help you with the question about nutrition. Good luck.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you're 23, and currently unemployed, and are going to spend the major part of your waking hours in some form of martial arts training... when are you going to look for work? Unless you happen to be independently wealthy, that seems to me to be where your priorities should lie. Put the effort your thinking about putting into this martial arts training endeavor into finding a job, instead. That'd be my advice. Then you can afford actual training with an instructor who can advise you on how to make the most of your training.

Step 1: Learn to fight
Step 2: ???
Step 3: Profit

;)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't drink or smoke. Its one of those goals i've set for myself, may not achieve now but eventually meaning a few yrs. Chances of getting a Muay Thai Instructor over here is nil. When ya live in the tropics and most peeps don't even know the island how can i get an Instructor. I know a video doesn't show the full aspects of an art. I know that to well. An actual Instructor's much better. Though situation is there's none. Guess i should stick to my qigong.

@jks9199 thanks for the advice, i wouldn't consider myself wealthy, my bills can be paid, family's taken cared of, so i got no worries.

Well, then get off the island and move somewhere else where you can find a good instructor. If you say you have the commitment of wanting to spend 8 hours per day, 6 days per week, then something like a relocation should not be too much of a commitment either.

And the part that has been ignored so far: to what end do you want to train so much? To fight? But then you need a coach and a circuit to fight in, meaning you have to move anyway. If it is to become very good, then you also have to move because without a good trainer, you are just going to be very good at being bad at whatever you do, and by the time you actually find a trainer, your bad habits are going to be ingrained so deeply that it will take ages to get rid of them.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ryo, it is good that you want to study the arts and want to train a lot.

Now, as has already been pointed out, the arts ared based in principles rather than technique. This is why learning the basics is the first step, and I am not talking basics like throwing a kick or a punch. It is proper movement and to internalize this takes a minimum of a few years of training unless you are some kind of god`s gift to MA. The arts as we know them today were not created by some little funny guy on a mountain top who suddenly decided to come up with a system of hitting people. Every past master learned the basics from those before him/her and then put their own spin on it. You can`t get there just by mixing a bit of this and that.

My advice to you would be:

-Find a good instructor. Good instructors are rare. Make this art your "core". You can cross train after a while , but I wouldn`t advice to do this in the first year or so.

-Ease into it. Start with a few lessons a week, you can increase the number of hours gradually. Training just a little every day helps a lot. Be patient with yourself.

Sorry I can`t help you with the question about nutrition. Good luck.

Thanks for the advice, i'm gonna focus on one art learning the basics and going from there. I understand you, throwing a punch or kick with out knowing a proper movement or concept behind it would be a waste of time, therefore finding a instructor is a must. I guess my search starts now with finding a good instructor. In terms of patience i've given this quite a lot of thought always wanted to go into it when i was little. Now i got a chance wouldn't mind training for the rest of ma life that's how dedicated i am to going into this. Ah no worries about the nutrition question, I'll just have to eat twice as much lol

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not to discourage you here, but this is not how dedicated you are going to into this, it is how idealisticly you are going into this. Dedication requires that you dedicate yourself to it, not "make do" until better comes along. Your posts actually reveal a lack of understanding of martial arts, so you know. For one thing, what "basics" are you training? That changes from art to art. Even such fundamental things as how to punch, or kick, can change quite drastically. Finding an instructor really is the first step, as they can then guide you as to the basics you should be training.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, then get off the island and move somewhere else where you can find a good instructor. If you say you have the commitment of wanting to spend 8 hours per day, 6 days per week, then something like a relocation should not be too much of a commitment either.

And the part that has been ignored so far: to what end do you want to train so much? To fight? But then you need a coach and a circuit to fight in, meaning you have to move anyway. If it is to become very good, then you also have to move because without a good trainer, you are just going to be very good at being bad at whatever you do, and by the time you actually find a trainer, your bad habits are going to be ingrained so deeply that it will take ages to get rid of them.

I get ya, guess i gotta move. My intentions behind this isn't to fight. Anyone can fight. I wana train to protect myself and love ones. I value life a lot an protecting life's a lot better than taking it. The philosophy behind certain arts are amazing and it intrigued me, in terms of a lifestyle, one of a martial artist is a simple yet healthy one. Therefore it suits me. I just wana find my limit, find some peace.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If that's your intention (protect yourself and others around you, rather than be a competitive fighter), then you frankly don't need anything like that schedule. In fact, I'd strongly advise against it. Honestly, it sounds like you don't understand what a philosophy of an art is, and have a very romanticised idea of a "martial artists life". This is actually bordering on obsessive behavioural patterns, so you know, and this type of approach won't bring any form of peace, as that requires balance, and it's not present here. This is why we've been against your planned approach from the get-go, really.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Not to discourage you here, but this is not how dedicated you are going to into this, it is how idealisticly you are going into this. Dedication requires that you dedicate yourself to it, not "make do" until better comes along. Your posts actually reveal a lack of understanding of martial arts, so you know. That changes from art to art. Even such fundamental things as how to punch, or kick, can change quite drastically. Finding an instructor really is the first step, as they can then guide you as to the basics you should be training.

Your words aren't discouraging, i understand where your coming from with this. "For one thing, what "basics" are you training?" So far my main focus has been on qigong breathing, understanding the qi circulatory system in the human body. I havn't been messing around with various technics from different martial arts. I paced myself doing one thing at a time. So far its just muay thai technics. punches,knees,elbows,kicks. Finding an instructor is a must and that's what i'll do.

OP
R

ryo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If that's your intention (protect yourself and others around you, rather than be a competitive fighter), then you frankly don't need anything like that schedule. In fact, I'd strongly advise against it. Honestly, it sounds like you don't understand what a philosophy of an art is, and have a very romanticised idea of a "martial artists life". This is actually bordering on obsessive behavioural patterns, so you know, and this type of approach won't bring any form of peace, as that requires balance, and it's not present here. This is why we've been against your planned approach from the get-go, really.

To each his own path.

And here i thought someone of experience would give me good advice, some times its better to watch animals in their natural environment, than to consult with man.

Latest Discussions