Training like this? Really?!

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
and that isn't the point it is to give students a wide base to choose from to fit their own personal style.
Great post, but this part jumped out at me and parallels with my understanding. Kata were geared toward body structure, and because of the volume of student in modern times, does give a more balanced approach to satisfy many.

Last edited:
OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was wondering if there has been any more information about this sent out? Are they still going with just one form, any examples of what the form contains? It doesn't impact me, but I'm really curious and if the form is any good maybe I'll learn it just for fun. :)

oh dear, I am sure the form will be covered by copyrights, making licensing fees applicable...

I have not heard anything new about it. I think the parent in question took the kid and ran to another school (and sad to say that the 'organizational' forum gave the advice....)

I could look around and see if I can dig up the new forum, but I am not sure if my old instructor continued with the club.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I took the name out to protect the embarrassed...

I think they could really save themselves a lot of trouble by just selling the belts for 1500 bucks, or 2 and be done with all that pesky training.

A while back they implemented half forms for the juniors and I kidded they were going the way of charging more for less teaching. Never in my wildest dreams would I have expected something like this.

I am sure in the time you spend to get to 4th dan, you will be proficient in the first moves of said 'form'

(and for the life of me, I can't see how any school owner can stick with that crap, unless they are locked into a a longterm contract!)

And there, you thought USAT was bad....

The school or franchise is Tiger Rock Martial Arts International.

Yeah Im puttin them out there.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only way i can see this even slightly adequate, is if this form is what they use in order to decide when someone deserves to test (teach it to the student when you feel they are ready for the next belt) but also teach many other things on the side and make sure to go over the basics and teach normally, with sparring, the form, the basics and innovation.

stkdh

White Belt
Reaction score
Put new Ho-Am form into youtube, i believe there are several instructors that have posted it on there. I think this is the final nail in the coffin now, surely everyone will see how little they're getting for there money!!!

Haakon

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks, this is the best one I've found (and someone needs to teach this guy a high block needs to be higher than your head to actually block), they marked where each rank begins their part of the form. Only 8-10 simple moves for 2 ranks. I hope they have a lot more to their curriculum than this 'progressive' form.

Last edited by a moderator:

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My two mexican cents here. I think/feel that TKD has many forms and some are useless, as Kong Soo Do wrote I would rather be very good in two or three forms/katas/pommsae than mediocre performing 8 for example. One poomsae per colored belt is enough, in fact for me maybe no more than forms would be aught at kup level and maybe 3 more at yudansa level.

We don't need to learn for example 1 to 8 taeguk and then koryo,kungam,taebek to become a nice 3er or 4th dan black belt.

Manny

Manny that would be Mevican Pesos right!!!!!!

stkdh

White Belt
Reaction score
As I understand it, there are 3 levels to each colour after white and yellow belt, so in a sense the sections of the form covers up to 6 ranks!!!!! REALLY, have they lost it completely!!!!! From the research I have done, they must do "contact skills" IE pad work, breaking every other belt or so and sparring is optional. oh and the quickest time to black belt is 18 months!!!!

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
How positively ... freaking ... boring.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thanks, this is the best one I've found (and someone needs to teach this guy a high block needs to be higher than your head to actually block), they marked where each rank begins their part of the form. Only 8-10 simple moves for 2 ranks. I hope they have a lot more to their curriculum than this 'progressive' form.

Not much to it at all is there? I hope they beefed up the rest of the curriculum because they sure freed up a lot of time (and meaning) by making this change.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Completely agree with both high block and hoping they have more. Two other short little comments though...this may just be me but i failed to see any power in the punches that he threw, and i hope this is just for the case of showing the movements of the form, but he is WAY too slow and rigid (although showing the movements should only excuse he slowness, not the rigidness). I really hope, he's not a 'master' teaching this to others.

stkdh

White Belt
Reaction score
He is a 5th degree I believe properly close to 6th (master in TRMAI). I believe this is just a reference for students to follow as is most of the videos listed by these guys.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Completely agree with both high block and hoping they have more. Two other short little comments though...this may just be me but i failed to see any power in the punches that he threw, and i hope this is just for the case of showing the movements of the form, but he is WAY too slow and rigid (although showing the movements should only excuse he slowness, not the rigidness). I really hope, he's not a 'master' teaching this to others.

When my niece trained in ITA (she later jumped to ATA) rigidity (er, solidity) was something they strived for when hitting each position. Robotic forms tended to do well in the tournaments she competed in.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
While they do well in tournaments, I (along with my masters and fellow martial artist's) have failed to ever see the point in rigidness. being SOLID is good, but its different from being rigid. Being solid (in my mind) refers to having "solid" or good technique that flows but is still picture perfect technique. However, being rigid lacks having the form flow in any way, which is the problem that i have with this form. The person performing it isn't flowing from one move to the next, theirs no connection. It's as if he took a bunch of random things, and added them together, even though they don't fit well together.

OP
granfire

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While they do well in tournaments, I (along with my masters and fellow martial artist's) have failed to ever see the point in rigidness. being SOLID is good, but its different from being rigid. Being solid (in my mind) refers to having "solid" or good technique that flows but is still picture perfect technique. However, being rigid lacks having the form flow in any way, which is the problem that i have with this form. The person performing it isn't flowing from one move to the next, theirs no connection. It's as if he took a bunch of random things, and added them together, even though they don't fit well together.

well
organization only tournaments...among themselves. ;)

Latest Discussions