Really bummed about my recent test

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There's a difference between being humble, and letting people walk all over you.
I agree that they have nothing to do with each other. I think it would be really good for you to give it a shot. What I don't know is whether your ego will allow you to be really bad at something for a really long time, with constant physical reminders of how bad you are. As I said before, some people are better for it. Most can't take it and quit, often telling anyone who will listen that they could have done it but for this or that.

My impression of you is that you spend a lot of time telling yourself how great you are at things. Like how great you are at being humble. ;)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There's a difference between being humble, and letting people walk all over you.
Who walked all over you? You passed the damn test and got your belt! Is that lost on you? So you got a C and you wanted an AA++. So what? Nobody cares but you. It is meaningless. Maybe you aren’t as good as you think you are. I’ll say this much: you’ve got a really f-ed up attitude.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I agree that they have nothing to do with each other. I think it would be really good for you to give it a shot. What I don't know is whether your ego will allow you to be really bad at something for a really long time, with constant physical reminders of how bad you are. As I said before, some people are better for it. Most can't take it and quit, often telling anyone who will listen that they could have done it but for this or that.

My impression of you is that you spend a lot of time telling yourself how great you are at things. Like how great you are at being humble. ;)

That's because my Taekwondo curriculum is something I'm great at. I've trained hadd to get there. I rank myself as mediocre at Hapkido, mediocre at TKD sparring, and horrible at guitar. I was so bad at riding a motorcycle I gave up halfway through the class. There are things I'm bad at. This isn't one.

Who walked all over you? You passed the damn test and got your belt! Is that lost on you? So you got a C and you wanted an AA++. So what? Nobody cares but you. It is meaningless. Maybe you aren’t as good as you think you are. I’ll say this much: you’ve got a really f-ed up attitude.

He said he wanted to fail me, but didn't because he didn't want to waste time with retesting. So I'm upset because if this happens again, I'll fail. And since it isn't my fault (if he'sseeing mistakes I didn't make), there's nothing I can do to prevent it.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My solution? I am happy with shodan. There is no reason to stop training and in fact no reason to stop progressing
Good that you are at peace with your situation. The only problem is how you are learning more? Are there skills and knowledge that are taught only after 2nd or 3rd dan in your system? Or have you found a way to train with more senior people that will teach more advanced material with you?

Self training takes know how and a lot of dedication, as well as being able to stay objective when self evaluating. Seems like you are doing well on all fronts. Sooner or later, someone well above you in rank will take notice and recognize your achievements in an official manner.

You can also just promote yourself to 7th degree. For $50 I can send you a nice certificate, a secret decoder ring and some gold stripes to dress up your belt to prove how awesome you are .

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At my school, you can get 3 possible outcomes on your tests: re-testing, pass, or outstanding. I have gotten all Outstanding results up until now. Every colored belt test, every dan test, and every intermediate test between dan grades. (At my school we have "gups" between the Dans, think of it like Black Belt v1.2 or v3.1).

I was testing for 3rd Dan, 3rd Gup (v3.3). I got "Pass." Not Outstanding.

I know I made some mistakes. One of our 20 punch combinations I messed up one of the several times we did it. One of our 23 kick combinations I messed up once out of the couple times we did it. I messed up one step in one form (literally one step) and had to redo the form. I struggled once on a kip-up, and I fell down at the end of a made-up form that features a 540 hook kick into a kneeling position. This is out of an hour-and-a-half test, where we did around 6-8 forms, all of those punch and kick combinations, 12 jump kick combinations, and a bunch of weapon forms and drills. I made around 4 mistakes total, which is actually a lot better than I usually do.

I went into his office to talk to him tonight. I asked why I got "Pass" instead of "Outstanding."

He listed a TON of mistakes that I know for a fact I didn't make. He told me I messed up a half dozen of the punch combinations, that a couple of my forms I messed up, that I made mistakes on two of my sword forms. For each of the around 20 mistakes he listed, I'm 95% certain I didn't make the mistake. For example:
  • Our #3 punching, he told me I was on the wrong leg and he had to say "switch feet" a lot. I know I did it right. The only reason he told me to switch feet is because the combination ends on the same foot, and he wants to check both sides.
  • Our #17 punching, he said I made a mistake on (didn't tell me what). I know I did it right.
  • Our #18 punching, he said I messed up which side I'm on. I know I didn't. (Or if I did, I'd have noticed). That's another one that you end on the same side, so if he said "switch feet" it was to see the other side.
  • Our #19 punching ends in an arc strike. He said I did a ridge-hand two of the three times. I know 100% for a fact I did an arc strike. I know, because in that moment, I was proud of myself for doing the arc strike every time.
  • Our Sword #2 and #3 he told me I messed up my footwork. I know I did the right footwork. He checked me briefly in his office and I did it right...and I did it the same as I did on my test.
There were a number of other things, but this is the kind of thing he said I messed up. I'm 95%+ sure on each of them I didn't make that mistake. I'm 100% sure I didn't make all of those mistakes. Or even half of them.

He also said at the end of the test, he asked "what do you need to work on?"
I answered "a little bit of everything." I knew he wanted something, and my biggest problem is I might mix up a technique here or there.

He took that to mean I'm not confident in anything, and that I deserve a lower grade because of that.

He offered to let me retest this Friday for a better grade. I'm 50/50 on whether I want to re-test or quit. I was already planning to quit after I got my 4th Degree. At this point, I'm not sure if I even want to stay for it.

If it was just that he wanted me to do better, I'd just take the pass and move on. If it was one or two things, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But I have no idea why he says I made all of those mistakes, when I know I didn't. The only possible reasons I can find are:
  • He's lying to try and teach me a lesson
  • He wasn't paying attention to me and just assumed I made a mistake
  • He attributed the mistakes the others in the test made to me
I don't see how any of those are fair.
Possibility 3... you made more errors than you are aware of. That couldn't be, could it?

If this is enough to make you quit... than quit complaining and quit.

The worst thing my instructor can do is stop correcting me. If he does, it doesn't mean I have nothing more to learn... it means I am no longer worth correcting.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Good that you are at peace with your situation. The only problem is how you are learning more? Are there skills and knowledge that are taught only after 2nd or 3rd dan in your system? Or have you found a way to train with more senior people that will teach more advanced material with you?
Excellent questions. In our system, the last test for new content comes at 4th dan. I have been taught all the techniques I need for 2nd dan and am ready to test... 3rd and 4th, not so much.

So, how am I learning more? First off, there is a difference between memorizing a kata and studying a kata. So, I have been putting a ton of time into the techniques I know and have been doing "well" for years... and refining and understanding them more. I also try putting them into different combinations and into different situations. I fail a lot, I explore a lot and I learn things as I go.

Further, martial arts is bigger than any one singular art. However, most arts talk about the same ideas and same principles. The different arts just use different vocabulary to do so. So, I cross train. I am working on Shotokan Karate, Aikido, and Daito Ryu. I spent a few years (2-3) studying bjj and mma. While in Karate class... I do Karate. When I leave, I take what I learned in Karate and see where it directly fits in Danzan Ryu. Then I look at the principles being taught in the movements and kata and then compare and add to the Danzan Ryu version of those same principles. I then look at what principles Karate teaches when presenting things in certain situations and compare what Danzan Ryu presents in similar situations. I add the bits from Karate to Danzan Ryu and the bits from Danzan Ryu to Karate. When I go show off my new found knowledge and wisdom to the Danzan Ryu guys... they say "Glad you finally figured that out, we have been telling you that for years." Funny thing is, I get the same response from the Karate guys as well. Repeat with the other arts I have and am cross training with. The key here is: "When in Karate, do Kararte." The mixing of arts happens on the students time, not during class.

Self training takes know how and a lot of dedication, as well as being able to stay objective when self evaluating.
I try.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Possibility 3... you made more errors than you are aware of. That couldn't be, could it?

It's possible I made more than I'm aware of. Most of the ones he told me aren't possible as far as I can tell.

EdwardA

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know. We only had white sash, which took a few months to get. Black sash, that took years, and Red sash that you had to go to Hong Kong to test for.

It's a question of motivation vs keeping students I think, but I'm guessing.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If it was just that he wanted me to do better, I'd just take the pass and move on. If it was one or two things, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt. But I have no idea why he says I made all of those mistakes, when I know I didn't. The only possible reasons I can find are:
  • He's lying to try and teach me a lesson
  • He wasn't paying attention to me and just assumed I made a mistake
  • He attributed the mistakes the others in the test made to me
I don't see how any of those are fair.
I read through the entire thread hoping to glean everything I could before responding. So to start, I am going to say this thread has started from a very poor position.

Less and less lately. He's good about 95% of the time, but every once in a while he does something that really gets me ready to leave.
We have had a lot of back and forth. That is a good thing. You use this medium to air things out. Not explicitly a bad thing. Bashing your instructor or program when it is conditional (like you have are are doing right now) is Always a bad thing.

At this point, for my next belt degree. That will give me the rank required to get my Master Certification, at which point I can open my own school and teach things my way.
You have been thorough and forthright about your plan. However, this is about as poor a major reason for wanting to advance as I can think of. Not at all what learning MA's is about. I get it. You like teaching and want to open a school. We cannot count the people who have been there. It could be the degree of freedom you feel on a forum to express candor and that we cannot really gauge your feelings or intent because we are not having a face to face.

I don't accept his critiques, because I'm sure I didn't make the mistakes he said I made. He gave me several concrete examples of things I know I never did. Maybe I misremember one or two of them. I know I wasn't that oblivious. Maybe I made one or two mistakes. But I don't remember him correcting me, and on a few of them, I remember being proud that I didn't mess them up.

I know I made mistakes. I know there's things I can improve on. If those were the reasons I didn't get Outstanding, then I'm fine with that. I'll just get Pass from here on (because I don't think I could do the entire curriculum perfect with no mistakes). But he listed a ton of mistakes I know I didn't make. I don't accept the critique, because I know I didn't do it. I have a pretty good memory, and I know what I did and didn't do.
See, first you say "you Know you did not make the mistake". Then you say "maybe I misremember".
I hope you hear this loudly. "Pride comes before the fall." You are living this Large. Over and over through this thread you are saying "I know I made mistakes But..." You have never said whether your instructor is Korean or if there are deep ties there. I can tell you Much of what you are describing is Korean teaching 101. I am going to leave that right there for now.

In this case, I know I'm right because:
  • Some things he said he had to tell me to switch feet because I was on the wrong foot. I know he didn't tell me.
  • Some things he said I did wrong and didn't notice. It's possible I made one or two of those mistakes, but not the half-dozen that fall into this category.
  • Some things he said I did wrong, when I remember specifically noticing that I did correct. And it's not like he doesn't like the way I did the technique. He says I did the wrong technique (a ridge-hand instead of an arc-hand).
If he said I needed more power, more speed, better form, better stance, louder kiyhap, or anything like that, I'd have accepted the result. If he said I'd need to go through without making the mistakes I did notice, I'd also accept it. I don't know that I can accept these, because I know 75% of them I didn't make, and I'm pretty sure I didn't make the other 25% either.
If, if, if, if, if. You are pissed because even the was you were critiqued is not the way You think it should be. C'mon man. Childish.

I had considered that. There are a number of things that if he said, I would have accepted. If he would have said that the mistakes I did make were too many, I would have accepted that (because there are a few mistakes I know I made). If he wasn't happy with the quality of the techniques, I would have accepted that.

But he said I made the wrong techniques or used the wrong footwork in a bunch of places that I know I didn't.
Rehash of above comments. Desperately holding on to a narrative you cannot change and it has pissed you off. It happens to everyone in every walk of life. But this is a very different environment. One where we are supposed to be learning how to HANDLE adversity, regardless of Where or How it comes at use. You are very much on the rear teat right now when it comes to this lesson; and I would say pretty far behind the curve given your station.

I kind of see that if I retest I'm admitting I made those mistakes.

The other guy who tested with me suggested I do private tests from now on, so he doesn't see anyone else make a mistake and attribute it to me as well. I actually think that may have happened, because I do believe this other guy made the mistakes that my Master said I make. I know he was getting called to switch feet or to do something again because he missed something. I know he struggles with some of the things my Master said I did wrong.
That just sounds like a rich(er) mans cop out. Private classes I can understand within confines. Private testing, never. I will leave that right there as well.

I'm not upset at the grade.
Yea, you are.

Then don't taste this laundry. You don't have to stay in this thread. I'm trying to figure out what I want to do, so I came here both to vent and to see what others have to say. The other option is I could just keep it to myself and make a less informed decision. I didn't join this community to NOT seek advice.

I'm being self-righteous because I am confident that I am right. I didn't get to where I am by being mediocre. Nor by having poor attention to detail or self-evaluation. I constantly criticize my own technique to be the best that I can be. And everyone else says I pretty much killed it at the test.
You can have that response, it is an open forum. But I hope you understand you are getting what you have asked for.
And yes, damn are you being arrogant. I don't know if I have ever heard someone need confirmation and ingratiation so much before. You seriously need to learn how to self reflect and use my next comment the correct way; Know where your bread is buttered.

I'll be eligible to test for 4th Dan by next December. So a little over a year left. (It takes 3 years minimum, I'm more than 2 years in, but we only do Dan tests in June and December).

He has a few senior moments, but most of them are harmless. For example, he'll tell us to do a technique one way one day, and then tell us another way the next. It usually comes across as "I've told you X", when he's been telling us "Y" for months. For example, one of our hand grabs changes every once in a while whether it ends in a punch or a break. He had the incorrect version of a technique for the 3rd Dan form, which he recently corrected. However, the other day in class, he did his old version. Little things like that. It's frustrating in the moment, but hard to take personally.
That math is way off and that is straight up jump testing. Anyone who does it that way is subject of not being qualified for the next rank. Let me say it the way I heard it. You just tested for 3rd Dan (let's say today). And you just said you will test for 4th Dan in one hear and about 2 months. Do you see what that says and understand there is a bigger picture that is damaging here?
Again, not knowing the instructors background but this is straight up psychological training 101. Slow your roll and catch up. There has been a consistent pattern with you that is compounding. I know you will throw up the 'blank slate' but you are missing a lot right now.

"I have to be good enough to do a technique however my instructor wants it this week," is more accurate for some things.

The double outside block in Pyongwon in the videos is way off to the side. He's been having us do it just outside in practice (not way outside). He "corrected" us to do it straight in front on the test.

If it was that one thing, it wouldn't have probably affected my grade much. But on top of everything else...
Yes and yes.
I tried quoting a few other comments but they did not come through and I do not have time to go back.
You mentioned you have been using video for practice. A good tool if and Only if the video matches up with your instructor. Nothing else really matters at testing time. Why would it? A fair and mature conversation would be to ask your instructor why the difference some time after class. Our GM is very honest about how/why he changes the Taeguek poomsae. Something I appreciate.
Skribs, you have talked at length about leaving. Honestly, saying it as a threat more than a logical thought process. You finally admitted something in this thread I have suspected for some time. You are in a very, very, closed loop school and if it is not a Tiger Rock school it is using that model. Not a good thing for a number of reasons which I have mentioned several times before. Think of it this way. You are essentially saying you just good enough to pass a test in an environment that uses zero external forces or feedback. So how valuable is that test? The answer is completely up to you. You are the one who has had your testing in fast forward to reach a number. You are the one using external approval as the only measure of success. You are the one who, at the same time, is dissatisfied with your training. You are the one who, no matter what critique you receive, you cannot or do not use it constructively.
It is time you do some Major humbling, reflect on where you Really are in Your training and quit looking only for the external feedback you agree with. I was not there but have graded enough testings in our schools, other TKD schools and even other style schools to know I have seen what you experienced. There is more going on than what you think. You want to call that BS and keep trying to apply only the tangible logic you understand, so be it. But you really need to press the pause button before it just comes crashing down on you. You are headed for a bad breakup with your school and instructor. A good/bad thing? With very, very few exception a Bad thing. And I have heard enough evidence to believe the exceptions do not exist.
I am sure this post is ripe with typo's. My apologies.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dvcochran I got my 3rd dan in August 2018. I was testing for 3rd dan, 3rd gup (think of it like black belt v3.3). My next test is 4th gup, which will probably be in April, and then 4th Dan after that (next December).

One of the big reasons I want to open my own school is because of the frustrating things my Master does. If that's just him, or if that's "Korean Teaching 101", it doesn't matter. Most of the time, it's just something I can shrug off. But in this case, it's not.

Im saying he listed over a dozen things I messed up. Half of them I'm certain I didn't. The other half, Im pretty sure I didn't. Maybe one or two, but not all of them. I'd have noticed if something was off. I have a very good memory and attention to detail. I was constantly checking myself through the test, second-guessing every move, thinking consciously about corrections he's given me recently, focusing on areas I've made mistakes in the past.

So of the 12 glaring mistakes he said I made, I can write 6 of them off right off the bat. The other 6 I'm 95% sure I did each of them right. Which means I'm 99.999998% sure I didn't mess up all 6.

The reason I'm less sure on those (95% instead of 100%) is ironically because I'm more confident in those. I wasn't giving those as much critical attention because I was confident. I haven't been given corrections recently, and I haven't struggled to perform those recently. It's like driving to work: I don't remember most of my drives, because I'm basically on autopilot.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
That's because my Taekwondo curriculum is something I'm great at. I've trained hadd to get there. I rank myself as mediocre at Hapkido, mediocre at TKD sparring, and horrible at guitar. I was so bad at riding a motorcycle I gave up halfway through the class. There are things I'm bad at. This isn't one.
Here's a case in point. If you had stuck out the class, you either would have passed or failed. If you passed, great. If you failed, you could take the class again. Point being, I'm pretty sure you could learn to ride a motorcycle, but you quit even before you'd finished the class. It was hard, and you weren't getting the immediate results you expected, and so you quit.

Why would BJJ be any different?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here's a case in point. If you had stuck out the class, you either would have passed or failed. If you passed, great. If you failed, you could take the class again. Point being, I'm pretty sure you could learn to ride a motorcycle, but you quit even before you'd finished the class. It was hard, and you weren't getting the immediate results you expected, and so you quit.

Why would BJJ be any different?

I also suck at guitar, and I've spent years in lessons.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@dvcochran I got my 3rd dan in August 2018. I was testing for 3rd dan, 3rd gup (think of it like black belt v3.3). My next test is 4th gup, which will probably be in April, and then 4th Dan after that (next December).

One of the big reasons I want to open my own school is because of the frustrating things my Master does. If that's just him, or if that's "Korean Teaching 101", it doesn't matter. Most of the time, it's just something I can shrug off. But in this case, it's not.

Im saying he listed over a dozen things I messed up. Half of them I'm certain I didn't. The other half, Im pretty sure I didn't. Maybe one or two, but not all of them. I'd have noticed if something was off. I have a very good memory and attention to detail. I was constantly checking myself through the test, second-guessing every move, thinking consciously about corrections he's given me recently, focusing on areas I've made mistakes in the past.

So of the 12 glaring mistakes he said I made, I can write 6 of them off right off the bat. The other 6 I'm 95% sure I did each of them right. Which means I'm 99.999998% sure I didn't mess up all 6.

The reason I'm less sure on those (95% instead of 100%) is ironically because I'm more confident in those. I wasn't giving those as much critical attention because I was confident. I haven't been given corrections recently, and I haven't struggled to perform those recently. It's like driving to work: I don't remember most of my drives, because I'm basically on autopilot.
We do not do the step testing's, at all. When you are ready, you are ready, regardless of time past the minimum. I will leave that right there.
It is pretty cut and dried that the clock starts ticking on your next text from the time you get your current belt/rank (when you receive your KKW certificate) based on years of current Dan rank. And there are several conditions above and beyond time (like concurrent training, and Much more). I know for fact our GM has/will hold a certificate if it is warranted. Sorry buy you are very much in fast forward chasing rank, for various reasons. I cannot say I follow your logic on why but it is what it is it and I hope I can help in some way. I cannot say I have ever seen a test or tester who was so statistically driven. That is just not what it is about. I have to ask, what are you making your comparison(s) against? I feel you need to reevaluate what you are using for your basis of comparison.
I enjoy our banter and only coming from a position of critical help. Believe me when I say it is Not about some measurable dynamic on how "perfect" you do a form or even a drill at your station. Especially when you are an instructor in a large school, which you are. There is another gear you are missing, and honestly I feel you are stripping. I hope that makes sense.
Slow your roll.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We do not do the step testing's, at all. When you are ready, you are ready, regardless of time past the minimum. I will leave that right there.
It is pretty cut and dried that the clock starts ticking on your next text from the time you get your current belt/rank (when you receive your KKW certificate) based on years of current Dan rank. And there are several conditions above and beyond time (like concurrent training, and Much more). I know for fact our GM has/will hold a certificate if it is warranted. Sorry buy you are very much in fast forward chasing rank, for various reasons. I cannot say I follow your logic on why but it is what it is it and I hope I can help in some way. I cannot say I have ever seen a test or tester who was so statistically driven. That is just not what it is about. I have to ask, what are you making your comparison(s) against? I feel you need to reevaluate what you are using for your basis of comparison.
I enjoy our banter and only coming from a position of critical help. Believe me when I say it is Not about some measurable dynamic on how "perfect" you do a form or even a drill at your station. Especially when you are an instructor in a large school, which you are. There is another gear you are missing, and honestly I feel you are stripping. I hope that makes sense.
Slow your roll.

I'm not in fast forward. Kukkiwon requirement is 3 years from 3rd Dan to 4th Dan. It will have been 3 years and 4 months before I test. I am going to meet all of my Master's requirements of things to learn, hours to teach, classes to take, etc.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skribs, you have said this over and over; that you Know you did not mess up or did not do X, which I do not doubt is true. Here is the tough part. You Know you did not mess up according to you preconceived and pre-concluded notions. For your sake what I hope is happening is your instructor pushing you to retrain, your thinking or perspective in some ways. That is the simplest way I can say it. Since we were not there it is a good amount of speculation but assuming you are accurate in retelling the event, which I expect you are, and assuming your instructor wasn't being a dxxk, and I will give him the benefit of a doubt since I do not know him, this is a clear, evident, and reasonable explanation.
Question on testing time; does your clock start ticking from the date of last testing?

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Skribs, you have said this over and over; that you Know you did not mess up or did not do X, which I do not doubt is true. Here is the tough part. You Know you did not mess up according to you preconceived and pre-concluded notions. For your sake what I hope is happening is your instructor pushing you to retrain, your thinking or perspective in some ways. That is the simplest way I can say it. Since we were not there it is a good amount of speculation but assuming you are accurate in retelling the event, which I expect you are, and assuming your instructor wasn't being a dxxk, and I will give him the benefit of a doubt since I do not know him, this is a clear, evident, and reasonable explanation.
Question on testing time; does your clock start ticking from the date of last testing?
The clock starts from 3rd dan. The intermediate tests are to help break down the curriculum into more manageable pieces.

If his advice was related to things I could improve, that would make sense. If he didn't like my stances, my power, how high my kicks werez the angle of my foot, etc. But his advice is that I just did the wrong technique. I can't do anything with that if I did the right technique in the first place.

Raistlin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you no longer respect your teacher. You seem pretty convinced that you are right and your instructor is wrong. You mentioned that you want to quit after getting your 4th Dan so you can start your own school and teach things your way. It's fine to have your own style of doing things, my style is certainly different from my instructors style, but don't make the mistake of thinking you know it all. Find yourself someone you respect to mentor you. The learning should never stop. Don't forget where you came from. You might have outgrown your current instructor (it happens) but for you to stick with him all the way to 3rd Dan must mean he has brought a lot of benefit to your martial arts journey.

I personally have trained with my instructor for over 30 years. I have my own school and have students and student's students that run their own schools as well. I now have many mentors that I go to to continue my training as my long-time instructor has taught me most of what he knows (although I can still learn from his experience), however he still holds a place of honor in my school for teaching me so much for so many years. He has earned that respect for the years of dedication to my learning and training. I can't imagine throwing him to the curb just because I feel he has nothing left to offer me. Maybe there is more to this?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
My teacher, and his teacher who is our system's chief instructor, have both taught the same thing differently on many occasions. I'm probably guilty of it, too. I simply see that as now having more than one way of doing it. And I do it the way they want at the moment.

You're locked in on the idea that you couldn't have been wrong. In my life experience... most times people are stubbornly sure they didn't do something like that, they cannot hear or perceive if they did. The old story of the full teacup comes to mind.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The clock starts from 3rd dan. The intermediate tests are to help break down the curriculum into more manageable pieces.

If his advice was related to things I could improve, that would make sense. If he didn't like my stances, my power, how high my kicks werez the angle of my foot, etc. But his advice is that I just did the wrong technique. I can't do anything with that if I did the right technique in the first place.
To be clear on the time between testing, for 3rd to 4th Dan it is 3 years from the date of your 3 Dan testing?

Latest Discussions