Letter to USAT members...

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Dear USA Taekwondo Members:

We are about to embark upon a new era of Board and management leadership at USA Taekwondo. You have already read about the resignation of our current CEO, Dave Askinas and the advent of long-awaited Board elections. These events will play a large role in shaping the future of USA Taekwondo.

The elections had been postponed from last December as the Board believed it necessary to ensure that the elections would be a fair, open and transparent process. There were questions and challenges presented from a number of candidates that revealed the process used in the past was flawed both from a statutory and bylaw perspective.

Upon advice of counsel we postponed the election process until we were sure that the process the Board instituted was free from prejudice and was fair to all. We believe we have that process in place and look forward to membership exercising their voting privileges to elect a forward-thinking board from among the many worthy candidates presented. Both the Board and Dave Askinas agreed that it would be appropriate for the new Board to have the opportunity to select their own CEO.

The Board and management have stood up and faced a number of challenges the past few years. The latest challenges include a challenging cash flow situation caused by slow payment or non-payment from USAT vendors. A small organization such as USAT was not well positioned to withstand the effects of a slow economy compounded by vendors' lack of payment. We have implemented contingency plans to tide us over until we can build up sufficient cash reserves for the future. We are confident that these steps will help ensure the viability of USAT for many years to come.

Another challenge we faced was a series of audit related problems with the USOC. Our required reporting and accounting procedures were unfortunately not being followed with the kind of rigorous attention that was necessary. The USAT Board, particularly through its Audit Committee, discovered these problems in the 4[SUP]th [/SUP]quarter of 2010 and met with the CEO to discuss solutions. A joint decision was made to dismiss the then CFO and a new CFO was brought in to remedy the issues. These audit issues were remedied but unfortunately the USOC audit focused on the period of 2010 prior to the replacement of the then CFO. We are again confident that the accounting systems now in place are rock solid and that our financial house is in order. It is important to note that there were never allegations of misappropriation of funds. This was a situation of inadequate reporting and inadequate controls and not that of theft. While we did not agree with some of the USOC Audit findings we believed the best approach was to implement all of their recommendations and so we did. USAT continues to receive outstanding financial support from the USOC. The misinformation circulated on the internet regarding a change in our NGB status is just that, misinformation from those individuals with private agendas. Funding received by USAT from the USOC during the most recent 4-year period exceeded amounts received in previous periods. In 2010 Taekwondo was placed in the category of sports expected to medal.

This category receives great consideration from the USOC when funding allocation decisions are made. We expect to perform at a high level at the London Olympics.

Despite these issues USA Taekwondo has many accomplishments over the past few years. The revitalization of the state associations has led to major increases in event participation and membership numbers. These increases exceed 20% and demonstrate that USAT is moving in the right direction. We are at approximately 14,500 individual members and that is our highest membership total since 2005. This is despite the worst economic downturn in the U.S. since the Great Depression.

The state organizations will play a larger role in program delivery in the coming years. Athlete, coaching and referee seminars will be professionally delivered at the state level starting in late 2011 into 2012. We see this as an important means to making quality programming available to a greater number of Taekwondo professionals.

We have achieved great success in major international competitions at the Junior and Senior Levels. From 2006-2010 we either maintained a top-5 or top-10 ranking in the world. Three Olympic medals were won in Beijing putting us in an elite class of nations. The many young senior athletes and junior champions coming through the ranks will begin to make their mark in 2012 and years to come.

The two premier events operated by USAT are experiencing substantial growth. The U.S. Open now regularly attracts the best athletes from around the globe. The number of participating coaches and athletes total between 2200-2600 in a given year. The combined Junior and Senior National Championships continue to grow with close to 4000 participants in a given year.

Under the leadership of Referee Chair John Seiber and his Assistants we have expanded the scope and quality of our referee training. This translates directly to better events for our members. National referees are graded annually and appointments are based upon those grades. Accountability is the byword.

We have expanded delivery of poomsae training for both competitors and referees. There are more and more seminars being offered around the country by top flight professionals in our sport. This will continue to advance the sport of poomsae in this country.

On the high level competition side we created the first National Team coaching structure in USTU and USAT history. We were of the firm belief that sustained competitive excellence could not be achieved unless we abandoned the concept of appointing coaches merely on an event-by-event basis. Our National Team coaches not only coach junior and senior teams at international events but they also write curriculum for our coaching courses, instruct in those coaching courses, and work USAT athlete camps to help further develop our future champions. A staff of 15 assistant National Team coaches assists in all of these efforts. We will look to expand that coaching staff by seeking new additions to that staff this fall.

These are just a few of the programs we have worked on during the tenure of this Board and that of Dave Askinas. We are proud of the foundation we have built together and look forward to the new Board and new CEO taking this organization to new levels of excellence. The new Board will conduct our national search for a new CEO. Dave Askinas will continue to work with the Board on a consulting basis so that the new CEO and Board can hit the ground running.

I cannot conclude this message without stating that one major challenge we face as an organization is a cultural shift in how we handle disagreement with Board and management actions. There continues to be a small minority of members who cannot seem to find a way to civilly disagree within the organizational structure. Some of this is an unfortunate consequence of the internet age we live in where the proliferation of misinformation and vitriol is the norm and civil debate becomes impossible. Keep in mind that the USA Taekwondo website is the only official source of information on USA Taekwondo. Any contradicting information found on other websites likely comes from a biased viewpoint of the publisher. The amount of time that management and the Board have had to spend on refuting false allegations is staggering. Quite frankly, the cost to this organization in time, money and emotional exhaustion cannot be measured. We will continue to struggle with attracting quality candidates to serve on Boards and Committees because of the culture of animosity that is encouraged by certain individuals.

The real answer is for people to become part of the solution rather than part of the problem. We have to learn to disagree without spreading venomous misinformation. We must create a culture of upstanding conduct and integrity. Quite simply, we must live up to the tenets of Taekwondo.

I want to close by thanking you for allowing me the opportunity to serve as a member of the Board of Directors. It has been an often difficult but ultimately rewarding experience helping this organization. I look forward to continued service in a different role in years to come as USAT keeps an athlete-centered theme going into the London Games and beyond.

Sincerely,

Kevin Padilla, Chair
USA Taekwondo

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.... If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, and hadnt known what I knew, and the peope I know, I would say.... ah no I wouldnt, I still say.. BULLSIT.

I think someone got under there skin. Blaming others is typical. 1 or 2 people can be incorrect. Dozens of HIGHLY respected and Notable Taekwondo figures CANT.

I think this sounds like it has a "little" emotion in it. You damn internet writers did this..... look what you did.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hmmmmm.... If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, and hadnt known what I knew, and the peope I know, I would say.... ah no I wouldnt, I still say.. BULLSIT.

I think someone got under there skin. Blaming others is typical. 1 or 2 people can be incorrect. Dozens of HIGHLY respected and Notable Taekwondo figures CANT.

I think this sounds like it has a "little" emotion in it. You damn internet writers did this..... look what you did.
Funny thing is that everything mentioned at the start of the letter is what was being said on this internet board. So on one hand it states, what was being posted and said was true, but then on the other hand it said, but don't believe it, even though I just told you it was true. Ha ha ha ha...

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Funny thing is that everything mentioned at the start of the letter is what was being said on this internet board. So on one hand it states, what was being posted and said was true, but then on the other hand it said, but don't believe it, even though I just told you it was true. Ha ha ha ha...

I could pick phases all day long and comment about them, but I will just this one and leave it alone:

USAT said:
Keep in mind that the USA Taekwondo website is the only official source of information on USA Taekwondo. ...

WHEN HAS THE WEBSITE EVER BEEN OPEN AND FORTHCOMING WITH INFORMATION???????????????????????????????????????????????????

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
******** ******** and ******** that is all I am going to say....

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No more David. Ok then, what will change? New coaches? New set of rules for BOD? Will they actually try to bring back the resident athlete program at OTC? I could care less who is in charge as long as the Jean and David are out. Jean has too many allegations against him and no one seems to like David much. I met him a few times. Seemed ok but did not do as he said he would.
Petty slandering of vendors if you ask me. Putting the blame on others is childish, even if the online forum community is not friendly to the usat.

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
No more David. Ok then, what will change? New coaches? New set of rules for BOD? Will they actually try to bring back the resident athlete program at OTC? I could care less who is in charge as long as the Jean and David are out. Jean has too many allegations against him and no one seems to like David much. I met him a few times. Seemed ok but did not do as he said he would.
Petty slandering of vendors if you ask me. Putting the blame on others is childish, even if the online forum community is not friendly to the usat.

Read it again. David is not gone.

These are just a few of the programs we have worked on during the tenure of this Board and that of Dave Askinas. We are proud of the foundation we have built together and look forward to the new Board and new CEO taking this organization to new levels of excellence. The new Board will conduct our national search for a new CEO. Dave Askinas will continue to work with the Board on a consulting basis so that the new CEO and Board can hit the ground running.

The online community is not friendly to the USAT because it is poorly managed, poorly governed, and not transparent in the least. IMHO David wrote that letter.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Dear USA Taekwondo Members:

The Board and management have stood up and faced a number of challenges the past few years. The latest challenges include a challenging cash flow situation caused by slow payment or non-payment from USAT vendors. A small organization such as USAT was not well positioned to withstand the effects of a slow economy compounded by vendors' lack of payment. We have implemented contingency plans to tide us over until we can build up sufficient cash reserves for the future. We are confident that these steps will help ensure the viability of USAT for many years to come.

Another challenge we faced was a series of audit related problems with the USOC. Our required reporting and accounting procedures were unfortunately not being followed with the kind of rigorous attention that was necessary. The USAT Board, particularly through its Audit Committee, discovered these problems in the 4[SUP]th [/SUP]quarter of 2010 and met with the CEO to discuss solutions. A joint decision was made to dismiss the then CFO and a new CFO was brought in to remedy the issues. These audit issues were remedied but unfortunately the USOC audit focused on the period of 2010 prior to the replacement of the then CFO. We are again confident that the accounting systems now in place are rock solid and that our financial house is in order. It is important to note that there were never allegations of misappropriation of funds. This was a situation of inadequate reporting and inadequate controls and not that of theft. While we did not agree with some of the USOC Audit findings we believed the best approach was to implement all of their recommendations and so we did. USAT continues to receive outstanding financial support from the USOC. The misinformation circulated on the internet regarding a change in our NGB status is just that, misinformation from those individuals with private agendas. Funding received by USAT from the USOC during the most recent 4-year period exceeded amounts received in previous periods. In 2010 Taekwondo was placed in the category of sports expected to medal.

This category receives great consideration from the USOC when funding allocation decisions are made. We expect to perform at a high level at the London Olympics.

Despite these issues USA Taekwondo has many accomplishments over the past few years. The revitalization of the state associations has led to major increases in event participation and membership numbers. These increases exceed 20% and demonstrate that USAT is moving in the right direction. We are at approximately 14,500 individual members and that is our highest membership total since 2005. This is despite the worst economic downturn in the U.S. since the Great Depression.
... We have achieved great success in major international competitions at the Junior and Senior Levels. From 2006-2010 we either maintained a top-5 or top-10 ranking in the world. Three Olympic medals were won in Beijing putting us in an elite class of nations. The many young senior athletes and junior champions coming through the ranks will begin to make their mark in 2012 and years to come.

USA Taekwondo

There are various ways to pack manure, but hiding the stink has often proved to be a very difficult thing.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

The online community is not friendly to the USAT because it is poorly managed, poorly governed, and not transparent in the least. IMHO David wrote that letter.
Maybe he was referring to you, maybe?

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

damn the internet, BS will be called out, sooner than later! :lol:

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

The letter smacks as if David wrote it and bragging about all they have accomplished the last 4 years and he is still around? 14,000 people I thought USTU had 40,000 at one time. all the talk of new training and certification lets see low cost and incentives to get Senior Masters and Grand Masters to be involved again. I don't know wait and see attitude

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Revised Relief - basically in that David Askinas no longer clings to the USAT
CEO chair, Bernard Robinson's complaint needed to clarify that he has not been
satisfied and the Section 10 is far from over.

Today, Ed Williams,
attorney for Mr. Robinson in his action against the USAT, filed an "Amended
Request for Relief and Interim Relief." http://www.ladytkd.com/images/revisedrelief.pdf
Click on the link to read it. Fortunately for you, it is much shorter than the
comprehensive Section 10.

For those not interested in wading through the
legalese contained therein, here is the English translation. The two sections of
the document ask for the "relief" from the original Section 10, (end result) be
changed to reflect the firing/resignation of David Askinas. Additionally after
the Kevin Padilla letter to the membership threatening elections in spite of all
the election complaints, Mr. Williams has made several requests of the USOC
Hearing Panel - basically asking for a restraining order.

1. David
Askinas may not longer be CEO, but the Consulting gig is a joke and a travesty.
Mr. Williams is asking the committee to review the legality of the agreement and
if it finds that the agreement is not legal or finding that Mr. Askinas, having
left before answering to the mismanagement and misconduct alleged in the Section
10, have that agreement declared null and void. Tossed in the toilet.

Mr. Williams and Mr. Robinson ask that after the panel finishes its
investigation into the misdeeds of the USAT as well as its lack of governance
and its inability to function as an NGB, that the USOC itself oversee the
election process in bring in capable candidates without all the conflicts and
cronyism. Remember, this is a major paraphrase.

3. Finally, Interim
Relief requested asks that the USOC Hearing Panel prevent the USAT from holding
the elections or taking any further action until a decision has been
rendered.

All I can say is "GREAT JOB!" Keep on them!

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
pretty good thinking. I guess the thought was if DA "left" the CEO position, the complaints would be null and void. but this pulls back the curtain on that. hope things work out for the BEST INTEREST OF THE ATHLETES.

But didnt some of USAT's problems go to the USOC? Wouldn't we just be recycling the old problems if the USOC stepped in?

RSweet

Blue Belt
Reaction score
pretty good thinking. I guess the thought was if DA "left" the CEO position, the complaints would be null and void. but this pulls back the curtain on that. hope things work out for the BEST INTEREST OF THE ATHLETES.

But didnt some of USAT's problems go to the USOC? Wouldn't we just be recycling the old problems if the USOC stepped in?

USOC is the only one at this point who can do anything. Ted Stevens Act, exhaust internal remedies. Word is USOC is fed up with USAT and the whole crew.

Latest Discussions