Tournaments drying up?!

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Didn't it suck before he came to power?

I can't remember when your last elections were but I'm sure the world was in a bad economic way when he was inaugurated.
It was on a downward slide for some time before the election, which is a big part of why Obama won. If your party is in power during a recession or a depression, don't expect to win come election time, even if you were not the president.

Rather than thanking Obama for the economic state, we should all thank the housing industry and the banking industry. The implosion of those industries is what precipitated our current economic state.

Daniel

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe in some peoples world, But mine was just fine prior to 'bama. Now its a world of ****.
You were just at the bottom of the mountain when the avalanche started that's all.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
It is a combination of problems. The economy is rough on a lot of people and extra spending for things such as tournaments get cut first. Many schools in my area that put on tournaments in the past have elected not to, due to financial conecerns. I know some of the tournaments in this area started losing attendance due to politics, bad judging, and drama. Its hard to give money to a tournament where it isn't fun to attend.

I do think this is cyclical and eventually the tournament attendee numbers will start to come back up, but until then people who do attend these tournaments will be increasingly more picky about the ones they attend.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
No problem with the economy here. Drove out to la 2x last month. Golden state open had 1200 competitors and the cuta state championship had over 1000. State lasted til 2am and the GSO was worst event ever.

Latest Discussions