TKD is a martial art..... period!!!!

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well said carol. Over here many people use the analogy of test cricket as opposed to one day cricket. They still use a bat and ball and a set of stumps, but that is where the similarity ends. Not many players can be successful at both forms of the game because the aproach is so different. I know if I hand picked the best tkdist I could find from my club and took them down to a local WTF sparring comp I have no doubt that the person from my club would get their *** kicked and the same would happen if I got a WTF sparrer and took them for a visit where I train. They both do tkd, but their approach is totally different because one is geared toward sport and the other toward the martial side of the art. I really have no problem with this and believe they can co-exist, but I also believe they should have separate names if for no other reason than to help avoid confusion in the general public. As Ive said before, I was at a local school fete recently and the local kukki club was doing a demo there. Neither my daughter or myself (we both do tkd) recognised a single thing they did, it was completely foreign to us. I could vaguely recognise koryo form but with the short stances etc it was barely recognisable. I remember watching the tkd at the last olympics with my daughter (who was then a 7 year old blue belt) and after watching a few fights she turned and said "this looks fun, which martial art is is this?". The 3 biggest tkd clubs in my area (all of which have over 3000 members) do not do kukki style, so it just gets a bit confusing with so many "branches" all calling themself 'tkd'.
Yes maybe they should go back to their original names, then we would have the International Taekwon-Do Federation & the World Tae Soo Do Federation & the KKW would be the World Tae Soo Do Academy & the new TKD Park could be even more inclusive by being the Korean Martial Arts & Sports Park!

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yes maybe they should go back to their original names, then we would have the International Taekwon-Do Federation & the World Tae Soo Do Federation & the KKW would be the World Tae Soo Do Academy & the new TKD Park could be even more inclusive by being the Korean Martial Arts & Sports Park!
There are many different forms of 'karate', they all have different names but are still considered karate. Maybe tkd should be similar, the word tkd has become way too broad a term these days. You see hardcore traditional schools and then you see olympic style, they are both great in their own right yet completely different, but to the average joe on the street they are both called tkd, no wonder its so confusing.

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You can focus your training on sport or you can focus your training on self defense. In sport your actions and reactions will be tailored to a specific set of rules. That is what makes it a sport. You will be trained to act within those rules without conciously thinking about it...or you should be. Self-defense training is training to act in an enviroment where the only rules are those of your own morality. There are less limitations placed upon what you are trained to do. When it comes down to it, you will fight how you train. Put someone trained as a self defense martial artist into a sporting event and they are going to have a harder time of it than someone who has trained years for that sport. The opposite is also true. now having said that, many of the attributes taught in both sporting martial arts and self defense martial arts do cross over. It would be a mistake to think that a sporting martial artist could not defend themselves or that a self-defnse martial artist could not win in a contest.

Wushu is based upon martial arts, but it is NOT a martial art. It is a performance art. It takes a lot of skill and is awsome stuff, but someone trained in contemparary wushu only is not trained to fight, either sporting or self-defense.

Wdnemesis

White Belt
Reaction score
That's it! TKD is a Korean Martial Art! some people likes the sport side that was generated as evolution of this martial art and some people don't. The same is with Judo (olimpic sport too) and Shotokan karate Do and even Chinese Wu-Shu just to name some Martial Arts.

I think we must draw a line beetwen both things, in one side we had TaeKwonDo and in the other we have Sport TaeKwonDo (kyorugi and poomsae competitions), and yes both can coexist.

My friend Daniel once told me -Shotokan karate is a very sportive martial art too-, and in some ways it's like TKD,- it has at least too organizations the JKA end the ISKF and most of the Shotokan Karate training is aimed to competition, that's what he said to me.

I really don't like so much the WTF/Olimpic Sparring, I love to use equaly hands and feet, my idea of TKD is more than just kicks to the air or to the palchaguis, however that's my way of thinking and there will be detractores of TKD always, so I must forget the bad words that people not knowing TKD made.

Manny
I agree, just because its an Olympic Sport does not mean thats all you do in WTF Tae Kwon DO. You do a variety of thing ultimately making it a martial art and can be used in self defense. I could say the same about almost any martial art though because many of them are used in MMA.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
I agree, just because its an Olympic Sport does not mean thats all you do in WTF Tae Kwon DO. You do a variety of thing ultimately making it a martial art and can be used in self defense. I could say the same about almost any martial art though because many of them are used in MMA.
MMA is a good example. Its always funny how you hear people say "I saw the this tkd guy in the UFC and he got owned, he was useless, just goes to prove that by itself without knowing some other stuff its just a joke. BJJ or muay thai is where its at", and then they go and give examples of BJJ guys who kick *** but fail to mention that the BJJ or Muay thai guy has also cross trained in other arts so they dont get owned. It really is funny, and I still hear people say it all the time.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is plenty of guys in MMA that has a TKD background, but all you hear are the ones that get beat. It is simply the image most don't want a great MMA fighter that is a TKD guy.

I will say this and I truely believe this it is not the style but the fighter that wins an event. Those that truely train inmultiple arts seem to be better inside the ring, those that have limited art experience seem to get beat alot.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've only skimmed this thread - but like everything else, TKD is what you make it. You can make it a solid martial art that teaches discipline and self-defense, or you can make it a cardio-training dance routine, or anything in between. The same can be said for any other style.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is plenty of guys in MMA that has a TKD background, but all you hear are the ones that get beat. It is simply the image most don't want a great MMA fighter that is a TKD guy.

I will say this and I truely believe this it is not the style but the fighter that wins an event. Those that truely train inmultiple arts seem to be better inside the ring, those that have limited art experience seem to get beat alot.
I have to agree with your statement that "most dont want a great mma fighter that is a tkd guy". I was watching the UFC a little while ago and this fighter came out and when they were introducing him and had his stats up on the screen it said "black belt BJJ" as his art. I watched the fight and he was good to watch so I went to wikipedia to get some background on him and it said he was a black belt BJJ and a 2nd dan tkd. I thought it was funny that at no point in the commentary was any mention made of his tkd background and yet they constantly talked about his BJJ black belt. You just have to laugh.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
so I went to wikipedia to get some background on him and it said he was a black belt BJJ and a 2nd dan tkd. I thought it was funny that at no point in the commentary was any mention made of his tkd background and yet they constantly talked about his BJJ black belt.

Another reason (aside from the fact that BJJ is more popular in MMA circles) for that may be the difference in the time taken to obtain those grades. A BJJ black belt takes about 10 years, a Kukkiwon 2nd Dan is achievable in 4-5.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with your statement that "most dont want a great mma fighter that is a tkd guy". I was watching the UFC a little while ago and this fighter came out and when they were introducing him and had his stats up on the screen it said "black belt BJJ" as his art. I watched the fight and he was good to watch so I went to wikipedia to get some background on him and it said he was a black belt BJJ and a 2nd dan tkd. I thought it was funny that at no point in the commentary was any mention made of his tkd background and yet they constantly talked about his BJJ black belt. You just have to laugh.

I dunno if that is laughable, esp. considering a black belt in BJJ can take 10 years and a 2nd dan tkd can take less than 4 years. A BB in BJJ is a very substantial accomplishment.

KarateMomUSA

Black Belt
Reaction score
I dunno if that is laughable, esp. considering a black belt in BJJ can take 10 years and a 2nd dan tkd can take less than 4 years. A BB in BJJ is a very substantial accomplishment.
I find it helpful at times to just compare time trained instead of rank.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another reason (aside from the fact that BJJ is more popular in MMA circles) for that may be the difference in the time taken to obtain those grades. A BJJ black belt takes about 10 years, a Kukkiwon 2nd Dan is achievable in 4-5.
All things being equal, it is far less time consuming (in my opinion) to train a purely striking art with relatively simplisitc sparring rules than it is to train students in a grappling art with more complex sparring rules and a lot more partnered training required.

The two arts are completely separate animals and the time in one really is not comparable to the time in the other.

Daniel

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
True, but still if someone has spent 4-5 years training in an art it is going to play some role in how they fight. I regularly hear the commentators say things like "this guy has had a little bit of muay thai training", surely if that rates a mention then so too should 4-5 years or more training in tkd. A 2nd dan would be 6 years training at our club and 6 years training in anything would be worth some sort of mention. It should also be irrelevent how long it took to get the black belt as far as their stats go that they put up on the screen. Surely the purpose of this is to give the viewer at home an insight into the fighter's background. So if they are bb bbj and bb tkd, then it is very misleading to only mention the one art. GSP is a 2nd or 3rd dan in karate and that sure gets a mention many times. And as I said, if a fighter does a little muay thai on the side it also gets a mention, so it does seem a little odd that I dont think Ive ever heard the word 'tkd' even mentioned in one of these broadcasts considering even the main commentator (joe rogan) is a tkd blackbelt, and avery successful one apparantly having won a few comps when he was younger. He even won the US open according to his bio, but even he will not credit any fighter with having a tkd background.

Last edited:

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
All things being equal, it is far less time consuming (in my opinion) to train a purely striking art with relatively simplisitc sparring rules than it is to train students in a grappling art with more complex sparring rules and a lot more partnered training required.l

I think the time to "get it" is about the same. I think it takes about ten years, ten hard consistent years of daily training, for any art.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the time to "get it" is about the same. I think it takes about ten years, ten hard consistent years of daily training, for any art.
Or more. I took 7 years to get to 1st Dan, 21 years to get to 4th Dan and I'm still trying to "get it." I wasn't training daily, though, over that period. More like twice a week.