TKD Mainly a kicking art.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Honestly. This whole "you gotta learn how to wrassle in order to be a good fighter" argument is kind of stale. You've got primarily striking arts..and primary grappling arts...

if you want to be good at both, you either.. find an art that teaches you both, or learn 2 different arts..

problem solved.
Hapkido anyone?

Daniel

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately, Manny, the way that TKD is taught in many dojangs is as primarilly a kicking art. In WTF competition, punches are allowed, but rarely score.

Hand techniques are present, and in fact, predominate most of the poomsae and step sparring, but most dojangs do about 80-90% of their drilling on kicks.

Daniel

That' right, TKD has some hand technicks like the spear hand for example, the counter punch, the cross hand, the ridge hand but barely uses this hand technikes, all the guys do in the dojan is kicking, and some kicking combos.

It's sad at least in my area that no one single TKD dojan teaches how to use all the arenal TKD has in hand technikes,trow technikes,locks technikes, etc,etc.

We need to reurn to the rooth of the clasic tks I guess.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Starting off in "old style" TKD (a/k/a Shotokan with better kicking), we had plenty of hands. Now however practicing a CMA that's arm heavy & feet heavy without "kicking" & watching what TKD has transformed into, I have to agree with the people you're talking to. Now, let me say this first... yes, you connect with a well placed kick & you're going to take the fight right out of them. However, once I get inside or outside of your knee moving in, are your hands currently now with TKD the way it is & taught, enough to protect you?

I use to use my hands in sparring to avoid an atack and to counterpunch, y use my arms and hands to block and parry and to punch too, I'm the only guy in dojan to do this, it's true, my first ofense move will be a kick, but always my guard is like the boxers do.

Manny

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
blah blah blah, you fight/react the way you're taught and in
McDojang's that's what's taught.

It' sad your answer my friend, but this is right, almost all the TKD dojan I know in my area are sports oriented and the real MA and SD is almost forgoten.

Manny

zeeberex

Green Belt
Reaction score
Honestly. This whole "you gotta learn how to wrassle in order to be a good fighter" argument is kind of stale. You've got primarily striking arts..and primary grappling arts...

if you want to be good at both, you either.. find an art that teaches you both, or learn 2 different arts..

problem solved.

Your last premise is not wrong, that's what I was saying. But the person said that the SD techs were nearly all strikes, ie, no grapples and throws... maybe there's a grappling set up to a strike, but if you're not seeing anything but the strike, you're missing half of what's there.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So then either you're not paying attention to the whole of SD technique or totally ignoring the grappling/throwing spectrum

?How do you make that out? Our curriculum is centered on SD; that's why we focus on close-quarters methods. Locks, pins, throws and other controlling moves to set up strikes and takedowns... I don't see how you can conclude, from the fact that we emphasize upper body rather than kicking methods, that we do not use controlling techs such as those I mentioned, or do not focus on SD. Last I checked, those kinds of tactics were based on upper-body movements to a far greater extent than they are on kicks.

Am I misreading what you're saying? It just doesn't seem to add up, based on what I said originally.

tko4u

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree with kwanjang, we train with hands AND feet. Add in knees, elbows, chokes, throws, and you have martial arts. While we do have a lot of emphasis on kicks, I will set up my kicks with my hands. Its a circle effect

Latest Discussions