will you choose TKD as a amrtial art

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
No hard data. Perhaps my experience is outdated, but given the near magical qualities ascribed to groin kicks, and the comparative success that I've seen people defend against them (regular people, not trained fighters), yes, I'd say most attackers are not likely to be overly shocked because someone tries to kick them in the gut/groin.

Can't say that I've ever watched anyone defend themselves against a kick to the groin (successfully or not). I always hear people on boards saying how "everyone knows" that high kicks are no good and that low kicks are, if not good then at least better. But I've never seen any sort of hard data about any of that. Which leaves me always wondering if what "everybody knows" is, in fact, the case. I don't know of anything that most people are "prepared" to defend against. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't know.

Perhaps a better phrasing would be that 'most attackers are familiar with kicks to the midsection' rather than prepared for, as prepared for implies more than just familiarity.

In what sense are they "familiar" with midsection kicks? Have they trained against them? Seen other people defend against them? Seen them on TV or in movies? It has not been my experience that people who are not trained martial artists or fighters are familiar with, expecting, or able to defend against kicks to the mid section or head. YMMV, of course.

Regarding my statement, "and kicks above the waist and spinning kicks in particular, are hard to hide," I don't have data excepting personal experience. Not to say that they cannot work; my point is that the legs being strong and possessing reach doesn't mitigate that kicking high takes inherently more time than punching high. And most attempts at spinning kicks that I've personally seen outside of competition usually end up with the kicker on the ground or off knocked off balance.

Ironically, I have seen many, many more kickers end up on the floor in competitions than in self-defense situations. Of course, I've also seen many, many more competitions than self-defense situations. The only self-defense situations I have actually seen myself involved me.

Pax,

Chris

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Can't say that I've ever watched anyone defend themselves against a kick to the groin (successfully or not). I always hear people on boards saying how "everyone knows" that high kicks are no good and that low kicks are, if not good then at least better. But I've never seen any sort of hard data about any of that. Which leaves me always wondering if what "everybody knows" is, in fact, the case. I don't know of anything that most people are "prepared" to defend against. I'm not saying you're wrong, I just don't know.
Well, I should have said familiar instead of prepared. I'll address that below.

As for high kicks being no good, I don't think that that is true; they simply are more risky to pull off and you generally have less opportunity to make them work due to the comparative time that it takes to execute them and that you need to be at a further distance to make them work, which makes your intentions potentially more visible.

Low kicks are quicker and generally easier to pull off because you don't have to cover as much distance with the kick and they aren't as readily visible as a waist level or higher kick would be.

In what sense are they "familiar" with midsection kicks? Have they trained against them? Seen other people defend against them? Seen them on TV or in movies? It has not been my experience that people who are not trained martial artists or fighters are familiar with, expecting, or able to defend against kicks to the mid section or head. YMMV, of course.
Familiarity with mid level kicks for most people will be from schoolyard scrapps, maybe a TKD class (given the fairly ubiquitous nature of TKD schools in some areas) and from television/cinema.

Ironically, I have seen many, many more kickers end up on the floor in competitions than in self-defense situations. Of course, I've also seen many, many more competitions than self-defense situations. The only self-defense situations I have actually seen myself involved me.
I think that's probably pretty true for most of us. I often wonder how much of my own experience is projected into my own statements on things like this. I try to be objective, but personal experience can very strongly color one's views.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If you train kicking, you should also train how to catch your opponent's kicking leg, as well as how to counter if your opponent catches your kicking leg.

- offense,
- defense,
- counter to defense.

Last edited:

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference between fighting and self defense. If you are attacked suddenly from close range or behind then it's doubtful any kicks will be useful. If you're "stepping outside" with some jerk then you may have an opportunity to kick.

I think kicks are awesome, but I feel like footwork and stepping is actually more important. Kicks are difficult to use if you are unable to control distance.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think there is a big difference between fighting and self defense. If you are attacked suddenly from close range or behind then it's doubtful any kicks will be useful.

I did not find this to be the case.

I think kicks are awesome, but I feel like footwork and stepping is actually more important. Kicks are difficult to use if you are unable to control distance.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk 2

This is absolutely correct.

Pax,

Chris