TKD goals

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is for the TKD folks out there, what is going to be your goals for your personnal training this year?

For the school owners what are your goals as well?

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For me I would like to see me get more training time for myself, I also would love to spar more often. For this to happen I need to take the diet serious for more than three months at a time. My cardio needs to get better for my age and my overall health needs to improve.

As far as my school, my wife and me would like to start making some money out of it and really concentrate on the growth of the school. She is going to add an aftercare program and also some lighter classes for those that just wish to be here without any hard core training. I would love to have around 200 students by year end. We have the room and enough BB to do this, so it is time to just get it done. I will keep the high intensity classes for me and those that wish to have them. I am really hoping things will workout so my wife can retire and I cango back doing what I enjoy training people.

AMP-RYU

Black Belt
Reaction score
I would personally like to add about 100 new students this year and bump my success rate from 60% to atleast 80%! Also I need to take more time out for myself and my family! Also maybe open a second school...that would be nice.
icon6.gif

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I plan to rehab my calf & be back running by March. By the time I see the doctor again I'll have worn the cast for 11 weeks. In the short term, I want to teach bare foot again without fear of re-injuring myself. Another goal is to loose the 30 lbs I've found since my injury.

I want this year to be the year of poomsae for me. I have 4 to work on in the coming year in preparation for my 4th Dan in 2010. There will be a total of 14 poomsae for me.

I'm also saving my shekels to make the trip to Korea for the Foreign Instructor's Course at the Kukkiwon.

As an instructor, I'd like to double my number of students to 24. I'm working on instilling excellence in my students. If I accomplish that, I've done my job.

wade

Black Belt
Reaction score
Terry, 200 students, OMG!!!!!!!! Wow. Good luck on that. Living in a town with a population of only 5000 people total I can't even imagine having that many students. Let me know how this goes, OK?

We did add a low intensity class about 6 months ago and it has been growing slowly. I find that I actually enjoy teaching it. I think you will too.

I do train on a regular basis and sparr almost every class and my wife and I have retired from our real jobs and now are doing what we enjoy best. IE: TKD and riding the Harley in the summer.

I have to warn you though, once you change there is no going back, thank God.

Windsinger

Green Belt
Reaction score
My main goal is simply to advance as far as I can in the next 12 months. And perhaps my friends here can help me in the regard. I was just awarded my yellow belt on Monday. What would you all say would be a normal progression through belts in one year from that point? It's hard for me to say what would be a realistic expectation, as I've only been at this since April (with 4 months off due to work :tantrum:).

Would it be unrealistic to want to test, say 3-4 times in the next year (green stripe-green belt-blue stripe-blue belt)? I would like to take was would be reasonable, and push it one step beyond that (assuming my work schedule does become psychotic 60-72 work weeks again!). So if a realistic expectation would be having my green belt by the end of the year, I want to push myself to get my blue stripe. I don't expect to get my black belt in that time, obviously, but I do want to go as far as I can. And only partially to set an example for my son. Mostly, it's for myself.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I might've posted this elsewhere...

1> I want to get in better shape cardio-wise so that I won't embarrass myself at Nationals this year. Not looking to win anything but just don't wnat to get gapped....I want to be "in it" for the whole match.

2> qualify for and pass my 2nd dan test.

3> convince my instructor to let me run a poomse self-defense seminar.

Peace,
Erik

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
My first goal is the same as most people's: I want to get into shape, or at least be well down the road toward getting into shape.

My second goal is to drill and perfect my side and round kicks...I want to pick them up to head-level, and have them both chamber and strike correctly.

My third goal is to start working on assistant instructing at some point...hopefully I'll be ready to explain and demonstrate techniques to the lower ranks by sometime in the coming year.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Goal 1: Get back into a shape other than round.

Goal 2: To perfect my Sliding Side Kick and Multiple kick combinations

Goal 3: Convince Sa Bum Nim that falls should be taught, as well as standing judo throws and newaza.

Goal 4: Get back into full contact sparring without my girlfriend getting angry with me. :)

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
To get focused again (and soon!). I've been slacking on my homework and I don't doubt that it shows in class. This is especially important if I want to be asked to test in fall 2009 or spring 2010.

My teacher's schedule has him testing for 4th dan in spring 2010, so even if I am ready in fall 2009, I may delay six months to test at the same time.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It just dawned on me....I don't have 14 poomsae, I have 18 poomsae to work on for my 4th Dan.

Come on calf, heal up quick! I gotta a lot of work to do:uhyeah:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is for the TKD folks out there, what is going to be your goals for your personnal training this year?

For the school owners what are your goals as well?
Assuming that the time in grade is maintained with regard to testing, I'll be testing for yidan in taekwondo next September. I already have been told to be ready for my samdan in kumdo in March and for my ildan in hapkido some time next summer.

Needless to say, that is a lot of test prep!!

One taekwondo goal is to continue to perfect my execution of poomsae il-jang through pal-jang and Koryo. My main goal is on execution of each and every technique: to clean it up and work on the subtleties; that in itself is a goal without the addition of testings.

Daniel

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Assuming that the time in grade is maintained with regard to testing, I'll be testing for yidan in taekwondo next September. I already have been told to be ready for my samdan in kumdo in March and for my ildan in hapkido some time next summer.

Needless to say, that is a lot of test prep!!

One taekwondo goal is to continue to perfect my execution of poomsae il-jang through pal-jang and Koryo. My main goal is on execution of each and every technique: to clean it up and work on the subtleties; that in itself is a goal without the addition of testings.

Daniel

Koryo and Kwang Gae will be the ones I am working one for March.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Terry, 200 students, OMG!!!!!!!! Wow. Good luck on that. Living in a town with a population of only 5000 people total I can't even imagine having that many students. Let me know how this goes, OK?

We did add a low intensity class about 6 months ago and it has been growing slowly. I find that I actually enjoy teaching it. I think you will too.

I do train on a regular basis and sparr almost every class and my wife and I have retired from our real jobs and now are doing what we enjoy best. IE: TKD and riding the Harley in the summer.

I have to warn you though, once you change there is no going back, thank God.

Wade I figure I have 7600 square feet of space might as well use it. I hope the low intensity class will be good for the school.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to be better today than I was yesterday, and better tomorrow than I am today. The rest is just details.

level7

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I hope to improve my kicks and survive next year without injury.
I hope to get my daughter more excited about TKD so she starts training at home, on her own. But at the tender age of 7, I'm not pushing.

TKDHermit

Green Belt
Reaction score
If all things go well, my black belt grading should be about October 2009, I want to perform my poomsae well, perform my 360 turning kicks and backthrusts well, spar well. I'm so going to kill myself practising.

And I so want to improve my stamina, muscle endurance, muscle strength, left leg turning kicks.

OP
terryl965

terryl965

MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sounds like we all have some pretty aggressive goals for sure. I will be tracking to see how everything goes.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
gee, I don't really have any personal tkd goals. However, my personal goal would be to grow my consistant student base. I want to be a martial artist that gets better everyday in some way.

Latest Discussions