Goals for 2015

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm planning on switching schools after the first of the year when classes start back up. Was in an ATA school for about 6 years and financially I can't swing it anymore and my motiviation has seriously gone downhill there and I'm hoping that switching things up will hlep me out.

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I want to become certified as a KKW/WTF poomsae judge in the coming year.

TKDTony2179

Blue Belt
Reaction score
My only goal is to grow my business. I have put my TKD training a side a lil. I am focusing on my Kali practice and bjj. Only personal training I am doing.

Metal

Green Belt
Reaction score
My only goals right now are staying healthy and improving my general fitness, flexibility and technique.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
For this new year I wanto something... do drop a few pounds 20 would be nice but 10 is good, also to give my best upon teaching and something I want is to do crosstraing if possible, it seems Kenpo Karate again. Something I would like to do is to travel a litlle to visit my martial arts friends, I meet one shorin ryu karate sensei a few days back who live in Mexico City. And the most of all is to be happy with what I am doing inside martial arts.

Manny

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Unless you live next door to the dojang, stretching at home before class will do little good. Sitting in the car will undo you're great stretch at home. You two must be under 40. Old muscles don't stretch as easily. :)

Saying that your stretch at home won't last until you get to class is kind of missing the point. It's like saying the pump from your weightlifting routine won't last all day. You lift weights on a consistent basis to get and stay strong. You stretch on a consistent basis to get and stay flexible. You don't need to stretch right before working out - research shows that not only doesn't help but may slightly increase your chance of injury.

For the record, I can kick head height without warming up and I'm 50 year old and don't even practice an art focused on high kicks. Yoga + BJJ keep me reasonably flexible.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts related goals:

Ability to kick at head height cold - I have developed a daily stretching plan for this using the book "Stretching Scientifically". Actually, I did this last year but didnt stick to it and, hey presto, no results. So I'm even more determined this time.

Complete the full calendar of Kickboxing circuits. Getting the dates soon so I can make an effort to attend as much as possible this year. I missed the ones I was going to fight in last year due to injury.

Mantis - get better, generally!
Wing Chun - get better at the fundamentals.

Continue to work on 'equaling out' my weaker side - front leg kicks in particular, since I'm really quite rubbish at some of those in a right forward stance.

Attend more weapon classes.

That'll do for now.

OP
G

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial Arts related goals:

Ability to kick at head height cold
Do you differentiate between kicks? For me, roundhouse to the head a lot easier than front kick or crescent kick to the head.

Dinkydoo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Do you differentiate between kicks? For me, roundhouse to the head a lot easier than front kick or crescent kick to the head.
Yea, head or 'thereabouts' and I'll be happy.

On a good day I can snap a front kick out at about jaw level and roundhouse/inside crescent a bit higher. My left side-kick with a lean I can get around face height too.

My main problem is I need to be at the highest level of flexability and have warm, non-tired muscles to do all that - and in sparring I rarely come across those perfect conditions. My technique needs a bit of work (some kicks more than others) too but I think flexability and being strong enough to use that flexability through my full range of motion is the common factor that needs work on. Improve that and everything else becomes easier - thats the theory anyway.

I have lots of other MA related goals (some I've not mentioned) but this is one I really want to finally hit on the head (excuse the pun) over the next 3 - 6 months.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
My goals for 2015

1) Lose weight (a lot, I have specific goals but don't feel like sharing them) - measurable

2) Improve my side kicks to the point where I like them - based on my opinion

3) Test for my Changmookwan 7th dan - measurable

dominate_warrior

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
It would have to be to know more about the art and grow stronger and become more flexible. Well I mean, I just joined like last week but I've always been a good fighter, despite me being a late joiner. I have waited way too long to start doing this, but who cares. Haha oh well.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It would have to be to know more about the art and grow stronger and become more flexible. Well I mean, I just joined like last week but I've always been a good fighter, despite me being a late joiner. I have waited way too long to start doing this, but who cares. Haha oh well.

After a very, very long break from taekwondo (*ahem cough* decades) I restarted two years ago - at age 52 - when my young stepson conned me into it. It's been great. I don't think there is such a thing as too late. :)

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm planning on switching schools after the first of the year when classes start back up. Was in an ATA school for about 6 years and financially I can't swing it anymore and my motiviation has seriously gone downhill there and I'm hoping that switching things up will hlep me out.

If you haven't settled upon a new school as yet I know an instructor in your area who is excellent. If you're interested in his contact information please let me know.

Good luck with your continued training.

Pax,

Chris

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you haven't settled upon a new school as yet I know an instructor in your area who is excellent. If you're interested in his contact information please let me know.

Good luck with your continued training.

Pax,

Chris

I still haven't quite decided on school as of yet, but there are a couple of options I'm considering. I'd really appreciate any recommendations you might have.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My first goal was to lose 25 pounds by the end of March. I've lost 20 so far, but I'm not lovin' it. I most assured do NOT recommend the flu as a dieting program. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was told years ago to watch cats and dogs, when they wake up the first thing they do is stretch so on waking first thing in the morning we should stretch, I have done ever since and it does make a difference.
My cat does that, but then she claws the furniture. I haven't found that clawing the furniture has improved my flexibility and now my wife is mad at both of us. :(

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My cat does that, but then she claws the furniture. I haven't found that clawing the furniture has improved my flexibility and now my wife is mad at both of us. :(

She could always shine the red laser light around for you both to chase for exercise! :D

Latest Discussions