Boar Thiknes

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good morning all, just wondering what's the right thikness of a pine board to be broken? I usually use 3/4" pine boards to do my breakings, using a fist I use two of them what makes 1.5" thickness, using a power kicks like a side kicks I use 3 to 4 of them what makes 3" of pine, and using a elbow strike I use 3 3/4" pin boards.

What thickness do you use per board?

Manny

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
The same. Most dimesnioned lumber (the kind you get from the big box stores) is labelled as 1" thickness, but is actually 3/4". As I understand, that's pretty universal. To get any other thicknesses you either have to go to a specialty supplier (such as gettign the really brittle and thin luan boards for demo breaks) or have rough cut lumber custom dimensioned.

Peace,
Erik

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Bluekey88 is right, they call it 1 inch but it's around 3/4 "

We use what the lumber mill people call planer outs which did not clean-up at the finish size for a dollar (.80 cents U.S.) per foot. 12"(11 1/2")x1"(3/4")cut to 10 1/2" inches long for anyone 13 and older. 6" long for 10-12 yrs and 4" for under.

The best pine is over 2 dollars per foot! which would be around $1.85 U.S. per foot. You don't need furniture grade pine for breaking, I would think.

Latest Discussions