In support of TKD

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I devote this thread to Terry :wavey:

Okay, TKD...the art that can be both a sport and a self defense art.

If you train in TKD as a sport (or as a hobby, exercise, social outlet etc) what do you like about it? What is your favorite aspect of training? What would you like to see change? And what are your personal goals?

If you train in TKD as a means of self defense, the same questions as above apply.

Here's my take. I train/teach purely for self defense. Although we call our art Kong Soo Do we also consider it old school TKD mixed with Hapkido (and some other stuff). I like the fact that you can take the forms (we still call them kata) and find a veritable gold mine of self defense principle (hoshinsul or we simply use bunkai). I like that you can take TKD (or KSD or TSD) and easily incorporate locks, throws, chokes, escapes, cavity pressing etc into the training like a hand in a glove. I'd like to see more of a division between sport and street. Not to put one above the other, but rather so the student knows precisely what they are training in and that it is viable for their personal goal(s).

My personal goals are to continue to train and teach.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
What works in sport and street are generally mutually exclusive, at least to some degree. That's because the most damaging techniques are most often barred from use in sanctioned competition.

TKD, like Karate, Kung Fu/Wushu, or many other arts, has a large history from which to draw from. You have many different sets of skills, ranging from demonstration to sport, combat, or self defense. Different teachers will focus on each.

There are peeople at my school who would prefer just forms. Others like forms best, but like everything else, too. I have the most fun working on difficult techniques, and others like sparring or self defense best.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It pains me when people try to put TKD in a box or jar? It is everything like life applicable in every application from work, education, relationship's,healing, and all forms of competition more than 40 with fighting just one piece. Dedication to your self, family, community and country with a life long commitment to pass on what you have been given to those who need it. Little toy trophies and rank mean nothing on the street, the doctors office or building a legacy of family and friends. Looking back at hundreds of people you have helped survive life because the MA you have taught gave them a sense of self worth and for others is your true satisfaction. They are the grand children of your master and the great grand children of his master on and on. As an instructor or master if you are true to serving the whole person based on their age and ability that will never die out. Who cares about the rest?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
At his point it has become pure sport! That means 4-6 hours per day devoted to Sport TKD. This includes technique training, explosion training, weight training, cardio, body mechanics(to avoid injury), flexibility training and yoga! You must arrange your training so that you peak at the proper time! Next big tournament is the Pan Am Open in Mexico so we are looking to peak the 3rd week in November! Will do 2 tune up tournaments before that to stay ring sharp! I like the science that goes into being successful! It takes a lot of imagination and collaboration between trainers to get the result that we are looking for! The end result a strong performance at a major event is definitely gratifying!

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, my favorite aspect of training is seeing the light bulb go off over a students head when something we've been working on "clicks" for them.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This probably doesn't add much to the discussion, but my favorite aspect is kicking someone in the face. Not to hurt them, knock them down or to make them look bad, not really anything about them at all. It's just always been so much fun. :) It's why I always thought TKD has been as successful as it is. It's just such a ball to land one to the chops.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
At this point, my favorite aspect of training is seeing the light bulb go off over a students head when something we've been working on "clicks" for them.

+1

That's probably the most rewarding part of being an instructor is seeing the light bulb go off for your student. The second most rewarding is them wanting more. :)

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
What works in sport and street are generally mutually exclusive, at least to some degree. That's because the most damaging techniques are most often barred from use in sanctioned competition.

Not IMO. A good fast hard kick works both places.

OP
Kong Soo Do

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Earl Weiss said:
Not IMO. A good fast hard kick works both places.

I don't think that's what he means Earl. Kicks aren't something that would be banned in most sanctioned tournaments (unless it's something like Judo or wrestling). I think he's talking about things like eye-gouging, fish hooking, striking the throat, striking or crushing the groin or destroying a joint. That was my take-away from his post.

I could be mistaken in what he was saying...

Latest Discussions