TKD and Creatine?

M

MikeMartial

I'd like to hear from any TKD martial artists who currently use, or have used creatine. If you have, please explain "why" you are/did, and any positive or negative effects you found while training in your dojang.

Please keep in mind I FULLY understand what creatine is, what it does, etc etc. And have used it in the past with great results---while weightlifting.

I'm contemplating loading it again to test the results with a highly dynamic martial art like TKD, but I'd like to hear from others prior to doing so.

Thanks!

ajs1976

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It has been about 5 years since I used Creatine, so i'm not sure if I remember correctly. Isn't one of the side effects that it makes your muscles more likely to tear? If that is one of the side effects, I would be very cautious about using it with any MA.

karatekid1975

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My boyfriend takes it (we both do TKD). It seems to work wonders for him. But I also used it for a while. But it made me thirsty. I know you are supposed to drink a lot of fluids with it, but no matter how much I drank, I still felt dehydrated. Maybe it just "re-acted" with my system like that, and not his.

Dr. Kenpo

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I used it in terms of MA, and lifting. It didn't do a thing for me. Neither have most of the other supplements I tried.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good question.

I have never used it but had thought about it.

For those who have used it, did you check with your physician beforehand?

Miles

OP
M

MikeMartial

Thanks for the replies so far.

As far as the "tearing" of muscles goes: I have heard this from various sources, although it is pureply anecdotal, and nothing so far has been published to either confirm or deny.

Personally, I did fall prey to a few hamstring pulls when I began TKD, and at that time I was still taking creatine; extremely hard to say if it contributed or not. Many factors could have been involved in the injury, including dehydration, inproper conditioning, etc.

As far as consulting a family physician: Find me a doctor that know what creatine is beyond what what Mom knows about it, and I'd be surprised :rolleyes:

My family doc is brilliant and young, but unless you find a sports medicine doc, most wouldn't know. Besides, creatine is the most studied sports supplement to date, so self-education is easy enough.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you want to know about experience but as others will read this and not really understand creatine, I am posting a link to this article As creatine used wrongly can cause liver and kidney damage. Good to know as much about it as possible before taking it. TW

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have taken it and continueing to do so at the moment. I like it. Although I don't use it as directed. I take in half of the recommended dosage. I only use it to curb the soreness feeling. It is also very good for recovey. During my cardio sessions I have consecutively used the Elliptical machine, run a hard mile on the treadmill then biked 2 or 3 miles all in less than 40 minutes total. Afterwards I can carry on a conversation like I didn't even do any cardio. It works good. If you buy some make sure it's micronized otherwise it's real tough on the stomach.

OP
M

MikeMartial

TW - Excellent article! I had no idea creatine was studied in cardiac rehab---but it only makes sense! I'm sure I'll be seeing patients on it as prescirbed by their cardiologist soon enough :)

jfarnsworth - Thanks for posting your experience; I hope to see similar results with recovery in both aerobic and (as well studied) anerobic areas. I have to admit, I never did a lot of cardio when I was weightlifting---but we'll see what happens in the dojang over the next few weeks.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My friend used it and over the long run he had severe problems with his health as others has stated you need to look into any prodauct and consult a doctor about your particular stituation. Good luck and GOD BLESS AMERICA

Latest Discussions