Soreness

Tito

White Belt
Reaction score
I recently joined TKD, and I'm really surprised at how weak my legs were. (I'd been working out in the gym for about a year, mostly focusing on upper body, but doing some lower as well). My instructor does a lot of repetitions, and sometimes I'm just not physically able to finish some of them. After three weeks, I'm still getting really sore after every practice.

How long did it take you to get used to it? Does anyone recommend any supplements, like creatine?

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently joined TKD, and I'm really surprised at how weak my legs were. (I'd been working out in the gym for about a year, mostly focusing on upper body, but doing some lower as well). My instructor does a lot of repetitions, and sometimes I'm just not physically able to finish some of them. After three weeks, I'm still getting really sore after every practice.

How long did it take you to get used to it? Does anyone recommend any supplements, like creatine?

First of all, welcome to TKD & to MT, Tito. As you discovered, the types of workout one gets in a TKD class is differnt from the way most folks work out. You've probably never stretched or kicked so much before.

If you train regularly, it will probably take you a few weeks to get used to the routine & get over the soreness. As you gain flexibilty, you will have times when your muscles ache & then your muscles will get used to it again. In TKD, you're building muscle differently than in lifting. I don't think Creatine is necessary.

All my best. Let us know how your training is going.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The soreness is common to all who start working out in the martial arts. The time it takes the body to get used to these work outs differs from person to person and I am not sure if we ever get to the point where we do not have soreness from time to time. As long as you do not tear anything you will soon find you become accustom to the workout until you reach the next level of pushing yourself then it will be there once again for a short time.

exile

To him unconquered.
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In TKD, you're building muscle differently than in lifting. I don't think Creatine is necessary.

Very true, and they're different muscles from what you usually work on in standard gym routines. I normally shift between 800 and 1000 lbs in very short range reps on the leg press machine, and have been doing that since before the turn of the millenium. But even so, in the five years since I started TKD, it's only been in the past year that I developed the strength in the right muscle groups to do a chest-high rear-leg side kick and hold it frozen in completely extended position for 30 seconds or more. Doesn't seem to make sense, eh? But the fact is, most heavy leg exercises target muscles like the calf or various parts of the quads, or the hamstrings (depending how deeply you squat or press). And those aren't the crucial muscles for a lot of TKD leg techs. Working on the latter is, as Iceman says, a whole different story. It will come, but be patient—and be prepared to feel sore after your workouts! :)

Hawke

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Take all this with a grain of salt:

Three weeks may not be enough time to see the difference in strength and endurance yet.

When you kick air do not fully lock or overextend your knee. When you have focus pads or shields the impact usually prevents you from this injury.

Stretch lightly before your workout until your body is warm enough to stretch further.

Stretch after your workout. This really helps with the soreness.

The football players over at Stanford went inside an ice tub after their workout and they said that helps (I personally hate ice baths).

If you can get a massage.

Also be careful what you eat. Eating heavy foods before a workout will tire you out sooner.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Some good advice above.

Tito, is the soreness in your muscles or in your tendons? It's an important difference. Muscle soreness is good because it means you're actually building muscle. Tendon soreness is bad because it means you're stretching too far, too soon.

masherdong

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
It usually takes some time to get over the soreness once you have started training. Still, like someone said in an earlier post, we all still get some type of soreness from time to time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
it is also important that you giver your body time to recouperate between classes. My instructor does not want to see a student more often then 3 times a week, even we are open 6, so every other day, unless we have some catching up to do before tests or tournaments is plenty.

Also, depending on the hurt, icepacks, Epsom Salt and Ibuprofene are your friend! ;)

OP
Tito

Tito

White Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses. I've never really stretched after training, just before. I'll start doing that now, I need to gain flexibility also.

Tito, is the soreness in your muscles or in your tendons? It's an important difference. Muscle soreness is good because it means you're actually building muscle. Tendon soreness is bad because it means you're stretching too far, too soon.

It's mainly just the muscles the side of my thigh/butt area. Our instructor has us hold our kick positions for 30 seconds, or kick continuously for a minute, and that usually just kills me :/
It's a good soreness though, I often enjoy being sore.

When you kick air do not fully lock or overextend your knee. When you have focus pads or shields the impact usually prevents you from this injury.

My instructor gave me the same advice. I do not need joint problems.

Again, thanks for all the advice.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tito you always need to warm and cool down after each class to get the full effect of your training, remember three weeks is a short period of time for any Martial Art.

TX_BB

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In your exuberance you may be over training your core and legs. In three weeks you may want to change your routine until your body can adjust. Generally in 8 weeks if your body does not adapt to a routine it is too hard, adjust and conquer.

badbart

White Belt
Reaction score
It took 6 weeks of TDK to get in shape so I would not be sore. I almost quit because I felt pretty bad for a long time. Now its great and I'm almost never sore.

cy1982

White Belt
Reaction score
Soreness = good thing, because your body basically is shocked into rebuilding the muscle structure for the needed work out.
Eat properly, fish, fruits etc. Rehydrate obviously, and vitamin enriched (not the super sugary kind) is good too.
If you cant finish a drill, you problably need more cardio so you can transport more oxygen to your legs. That will build naturally with the drills over time.
Rest is great obviously.
Personally, if I am sore, I still go, I love that feeling of getting unsore during a workout because my blood is pumping. If its really extreme though, I will consider a rest sometimes, but usually I have no problem.

Either way, soreness is your least of your problems in twd in my personal opinion.
BLISTERS MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Love to hate it, but accept to love them for building calluses that help you! (If you hate blisters, invest into twd shoes, unless you have matted floor).

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh, BTW...resist the urge to take pain killers as a pre-emptive measure...you want to feel it when you work out, avoiding injury.... ;)

exile

To him unconquered.
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's really important to keep soreness and pain separate, too. A very intense workout may leave you sore, maybe very sore, but if you're in serious pain—of the sharp, burning-hot-needle-jammed-into-you type, or that horrible continuous cold dull ache—you need to have it looked at, and to scale way back till you know what you're dealing with.

Latest Discussions