Reaction score
Well, you all are the best here, and I really enjoy
this board. But I have to let you all know that I
am giving up the TKD for the bodybuilding. Yes,
the iron sport. I am hooked. I have been going to
the weight lifting gymnasium for about 6 months now,
and decide that it is my way.

I have recently had a discussion with some weight
lifter who told me that I was doing things all wrong.
Well, how is that for a fine how-do-you-do? Right.
All wrong!

I will now engage in the stronglifts.com 5x5 method
for at least 2 months. If I gain strength nicely, I
will keep on it until I can squat my own body weight
times 1.5. That's right -- one and one half times
my own mass with the squat. At that time I will
discard the 5x5 for the body building / isolation
exercises, because I will then have a strong base.

I will not practice the Scott-Little method, because
I prefer the full range of motion -- big motions.
They are more pleasing to me. After all, I am a TKD
man at heart, and I like BIG, explicit motions!

I have started taking the creatine and the protein
powder, because I do not eat much red meat or fish.

I do know that form is EVERYTHING! As I start this
journey (on Monday -- that will be the first day of
the 5x5!) I have to make sure my technique is good.
The squat, IF DONE WITH PROPER FORM, can be GOOD
for the knees. I will study and try to learn this,
and also try to get feedback from some adept lifter
in my gym.

So, I will continue to look at this nice board, but
also will surf to other communities where people
lift, to get BIG. All show, no go. That's me.
I want to look like a freaking million dollars from
the neck down by this time next year. I also want
to have sufficient knowledge of this "iron sport"
to not get injury in my neck up!

So, wish me luck!

I also want to show you one video that I think is
funny. It is of a powerlifter named Kirk Karwoski.
You can't really tell what is going on in the video
because there is no sound. But it looks as though
someone asks him to pose, and then he waves them
off, as if to say, "Enough of that sissy posing, I
am a power lifter, not a bodybuilder!"

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well, I wish you joy in your endeavours, good sir.

I'm not sure I can empathise with your bodybuilding passion but each man must walk his own road until it ends.

In the days when I had two fully functional arms, I used to do weight training but I was never aiming to 'bulk up', just get a little stonger. I reckon your targets are quite achievable - I'm no Charles Atlas and I used to be able to 'clean and jerk' quite a bit more than my own bodyweight - so take pleasure in the training and working towards your goals.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you, Sir.

Yes, it calls me. There is quite a contrast in the cultures, between the Dojang and the Gym. Quite. But, I am still a user here. I just wanted to give everyone a "heads up", like full disclosure or something.

Already I am feeling stronger. And to think, I have gotten this feeling of being strong even though I was going about things wrongly! I will get even more strong now!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The more I read about this method, the more it seems like if one practices this 5x5 way, with the squats, the benches, the deadlifts, the power - cleans, with the overhead presses and dips and chinups / pullups, you can be one #### strong freaking #####

!!!

And then, AFTER that is done, THEN you can do some kind of isolation exercises, to look nice. But THIS, this is the backbone of some kind of strength training, like football players do. They come off of the line ready to push forward, hard (I have never played football, but that's the idea -- explosive freaking power).

Man! This changes things!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I once had the idea that I would do some body building/Power lifiting and I did have a good free weight routine as part of my training back in my early 30s but I am doing mostly body weight stuff now and lighter free weights than I once did.

I liked this book

Weight Training Technique by Stuart McRobert

Also there is a lot of good info here and they have a Forum too.

Good luck to you on your new path

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand how you feel newGuy12. I've always been interested in bodybuilding but never took it to a higher level. Back in 1986 I met Frank Zane while visiting Palm Springs. For those that don't know him, Frank was a world champion bodybuilder back in the day.

He had a gym at his home where he trained others as well as himself. We talked for a long time about training and he invited me to workout with him at his gym. The main thing that I learned from him was that I knew absolutely nothing about weight training. That was a shock to me because I thought I knew everything about everything, LOL. He showed me how to get much better results with minimum effort. I was doing it all the hard way.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you Sir, and I already have a user account there, too! :)

(oops -- posting in response to Xue Sheng)

To Qui-Gon:

I was of the mind that bodybuilding was a simple endeavour. Lift the weights. What could be simpler? Oh, was that wrong! There is a bewildering amount of knowledge. Just overwhelming. I will focus, though, focus on this 5x5, with the compound motions. Yes. That will be a focused path. Later, if I get strong -- to squat 1.5 times my mass, then, I can learn more.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I work out on weights at least one day a week at the gym, and about 1 1/2 year ago I did it even more. I can say it does make a big difference and I encourage all martial arts partitioners to do at least some weight lifting each week.

I hope, newGuy12, later after you achive what your goals are at weightlifthing, you add self defense to your goals (if not a specific martial art.)

For you see, at were I'm working out, we have a new student who is a armored car guard. Very strong man. But at the first class it was discovered he didn't even know how to make a fist, nor punch!

So I hope you become very fit with your regime newGuy12, but keep the martial arts in mind.

Deaf

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes Sir, I hope that one day I can practice again. My heart is just not there now, though. I just don't have the "oomph" to do it, for some reason. And I'm sucked in to the weights. There are some BJJ people who go to that gym, too. They wear their shirts that say Jui-Jitsu and "Tap-Out" and so forth.

Perhaps I can keep practicing one day a week at the Dojang, but I don't know if that will go over so well. We shall see. There is only so much time, as well.

Tryak

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck and please if you would drop me a PM with what you learn about squats to help the knees I would much appreciate!

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi newguy,
My approach for the past few years has been, 2 months focus on Power/Strength training, then 1 month off and 2 months martial arts training, then 1 month off then back to 2 months Power training.
I love this approach as it always keeps things interesting.
I usually will mix in a day of Martial arts training in my two months of Power training, and vice versa but find it very productive to focus on One thing at a time.
The most important thing is to train smart.
Enjoy.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I wish you the best of luck and please if you would drop me a PM with what you learn about squats to help the knees I would much appreciate!

I have to learn to do the squats (and the deadlift and overhead press) quite correctly. I asked about it at the gym today, from a guy who should know, but he did not know! I have just ordered a book on Amazon that is highly regarded from what I can tell. It is titled Starting Strength by the author Mark Rippetoe. If you look at body building forums, you will see that this guy is very esteemed. The target audience is young football players, but it does not matter -- the point is, he describes in meticulous detail how to do these motions. I have even thought of buying the cheapest video camera I can find so that I can post videos of myself doing these motions and get critique from the body building communities.

Why in the world no one at my gym freaking does these motions is beyond me. But I cannot give advise about these things, you see. It is vitally important to have an expert outline these things, because severe injury can happen if they are not done properly! This is nothing to be casual about!

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Hi newguy,
My approach for the past few years has been, 2 months focus on Power/Strength training, then 1 month off and 2 months martial arts training, then 1 month off then back to 2 months Power training.
I love this approach as it always keeps things interesting.
I usually will mix in a day of Martial arts training in my two months of Power training, and vice versa but find it very productive to focus on One thing at a time.
The most important thing is to train smart.
Enjoy.

Hello, SensibleManiac.

I would suppose that you suffer significant losses in strength when you abstain from lifting? This would not be good for me. I would prefer to blast straight on through. I have the hopes that I can soon squat 1.5 times my weight, and then that is enough power. Then I will concentrate only on "extra" (bodybuilding) motions, and keep the powerlifting types of motions only enough to maintain that level of strength.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Highly recommend that you get some proper lessons as you can do permanent damage to yourself if your form and technique is incorrect. Ask around and get some lessons from a GOOD professional training coach (not some guy at the gym) and be honest with them about your goals. It will be worth many times the amount spent. I might also recommend an additional goal to maintain what flexibility you now have as well as the squatting goal.

Good luck
Brian King

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Highly recommend that you get some proper lessons as you can do permanent damage to yourself if your form and technique is incorrect. Ask around and get some lessons from a GOOD professional training coach (not some guy at the gym) and be honest with them about your goals. It will be worth many times the amount spent. I might also recommend an additional goal to maintain what flexibility you now have as well as the squatting goal.

Good luck
Brian King

Of course! Of course! I need an expert to be in the same room with me, not just some book. I will find a teacher! Then I can do this with confidence, and avoid injury, and maximize my results!

Latest Discussions