bodybuilding INSTEAD of the TKD

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Maybe I read tooooo fast or something and you've already answered this, but
WHY NOT do both martial arts AND BodyBuilding!
I am.

a couple of my own instructors have, and they've been quite successful too.

Thanks

Your Brother
John

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I can't believe I am such an idiot. I amaze myself with my lack of perspective.

I know of a woman who married a strength trainer. He gives lessons to football players. He's the real deal. I just sent her an email asking if they offer any kind of instruction in the three highly effective, highly dangerous exercises of:

Squat
Deadlift
Barbell Row
Overhead Press

I will soon know. Surely he knows about these things. Football players must use them.

Now, also, (duh!) the 5x5 program is meant to be MINIMAL. You are only in the gym for 30 minutes at a time, and only for 3 days per week. Why? Because when you ramp up to maximum, and start to reset and go again (or deload), you could not take any more. This is not barbell curls. This is full-out HORSEPOWER here. Once it kicks into gear, 30 minutes is enough to stimulate growth. Big Growth.

So,... Tuesday is out. I'm booked up. The weights have to alternate such that you never do consecutive days on. If I hit the gym on Sunday, then do TKD monday, then Tues is off...

Wed - gym
Thurs - Dojang
Fri - gym

I can *still* kick 2 times a week.

Why I cannot seem to use my head at times I will never know. If this was a snake, it would have bitten me.

<newGuy slaps his head>

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Good to see that in short order you have managed to locate a potential source of quality training and also figured out how to keep up your martial arts practise :tup:.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to learn to do the squats (and the deadlift and overhead press) quite correctly. I asked about it at the gym today, from a guy who should know, but he did not know! I have just ordered a book on Amazon that is highly regarded from what I can tell. It is titled Starting Strength by the author Mark Rippetoe. If you look at body building forums, you will see that this guy is very esteemed. The target audience is young football players, but it does not matter -- the point is, he describes in meticulous detail how to do these motions. I have even thought of buying the cheapest video camera I can find so that I can post videos of myself doing these motions and get critique from the body building communities.

Why in the world no one at my gym freaking does these motions is beyond me. But I cannot give advise about these things, you see. It is vitally important to have an expert outline these things, because severe injury can happen if they are not done properly! This is nothing to be casual about!
Just like you need an instructor to learn martial arts properly, you need a skilled coach to teach you the proper techniques for weight lifting. Especially if building strength is your goal. A book is not enough; a difference of an inch or so in foot placement can make a HUGE difference in a squat, for example.

Be careful, because there are lots of "pro instructors" out there that don't really know what they're doing, just what they did as they were coming up.

One other thing... don't expect a friend's husband (or friend of friend or whatever -- even a direct friend) to give you what they do for a living for free. I've run into that one; I don't take advantage of people. I've got a friend who's an electrician; if I reach out to him for help, and he comes out and does a job for me -- he gets paid. It may just be a beer, or we may swap labor when he needs something I can do... (Yeah, that's something that really irritates me. I've seen people use buddies who are personal trainers by profession for hours of free "tips"... That's no different than expecting a buddy who's a lawyer to defend you in court for free.)

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just like you need an instructor to learn martial arts properly, you need a skilled coach to teach you the proper techniques for weight lifting. Especially if building strength is your goal. A book is not enough; a difference of an inch or so in foot placement can make a HUGE difference in a squat, for example.

Be careful, because there are lots of "pro instructors" out there that don't really know what they're doing, just what they did as they were coming up.

One other thing... don't expect a friend's husband (or friend of friend or whatever -- even a direct friend) to give you what they do for a living for free. I've run into that one; I don't take advantage of people. I've got a friend who's an electrician; if I reach out to him for help, and he comes out and does a job for me -- he gets paid. It may just be a beer, or we may swap labor when he needs something I can do... (Yeah, that's something that really irritates me. I've seen people use buddies who are personal trainers by profession for hours of free "tips"... That's no different than expecting a buddy who's a lawyer to defend you in court for free.)

Right. I trust that my friend and her husband would tell me if they did not know these exercises. And, I will pay for the instruction. I won't ask him to do it for free. I'll pay money, just like everyone else.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm still waiting on a callback from the strength trainer to book a session.
Meanwhile, I am trying to research this motion (the squat, the big gun -- "Hey, be careful where you point that gun!").

Here is a video of a woman doing a squat that has been given the seal of approval by Coach Rippetoe, the Master of the Squat:

http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Video#Mark_Rippetoe:_Coaching_the_Squat

Notice, if you will, the tempo, the frequency, the "cadence" that is shown.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, also notice the thumbless grip (the hands merely hold the bar ON the back). The close grip, with the elbows back and HIGH.

I will also do everything I can to have the best squat technique that I possibly can. The King of Exercises. Behold!

victorn

White Belt
Reaction score
That's interesting, ours stories are almost similar :). I'm 43 and I've been practising bodybuilding/weightlifting since 17 but I gave up recently and went to MA. It's been one month as I'm attending TKD classes and you know what, I'm quite happy and I feel myself much better now. I haven't dropped weightlifting completely though, still working out once a week. Still can bench about 320-325lbs (my BW is 175lbs).

Good luck and be in touch! It'll be interesting to watch your progress.

Victor

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
That's interesting, ours stories are almost similar :). I'm 43 and I've been practising bodybuilding/weightlifting since 17 but I gave up recently and went to MA. It's been one month as I'm attending TKD classes and you know what, I'm quite happy and I feel myself much better now. I haven't dropped weightlifting completely though, still working out once a week. Still can bench about 320-325lbs (my BW is 175lbs).

Good luck and be in touch! It'll be interesting to watch your progress.

Victor
Whoa! That's some horsepower! Rowdy!

When I was a teenager, there was a bodybuilder that joined our Dojang, and my Old Master used to say each time he tested, "That's a HEAVYWEIGHT." (He was a huge guy). He eventually got to where he could kick very well, too! To see a big man like that do the kicks is something to see.

I got an email back from the wife of the strength trainer. He was quite busy yesterday with football players (I suppose they are in some training now). He will contact me, though. I did do some exercises last night. Even though the total time of the exercieses was only 40 minutes (including the warm-up and stretches), I was feeling it. These exercises are quite intense. Here's where it stands so far, as I am searching for my starting point (I actually think I have found it):

I think the bar is 45 lbs, I don't include that in the total, but it WILL count toward the final goal -- 1.5 x my mass, period:

Squats (pins at 5 + 1/2)
------
70 lbs x 5 reps
70 lbs x 5 reps
70 lbs x 5 reps

Benches (pins at 3 + 1/2)
-------
80 lbs x 5 reps
90 lbs x 5 reps
90 lbs x 5 reps

Deadlifts
---------
90 lbs x 5 reps

Dips
----
0 lbs x 4 reps
0 lbs x 3 reps
0 lbs x 3 reps

Squats and deadlifts are fearful exercises, I have a lot of caution.

I am very far away from the ultimate goal of squatting 1.5x my own weight, but we shall see.

I am like a white belt now. I am one of the smallest people in the gym! I am not even aquainted with all of the jargon used! Today is off day, according to the Starting Strength program.

Regards,

Robert

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Deadlifts

I absolutely LOVE dead lifts, but proper form is very important when doing them. Especially in my case where I do have a previous back injury. It took me awhile to get back to them after injury and re-injury. Ironically the re-injuries were not related to any weightlifting, they were related to TKD.

I am a big fan of working multiple muscle groups and not such a big fan of isolation work. Working multiple muscle groups is just, IMO, more realistic as it applies to daily life.

The book I previously suggested, by the way, is more about proper form than anything else.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am a big fan of working multiple muscle groups and not such a big fan of isolation work. Working multiple muscle groups is just, IMO, more realistic as it applies to daily life.

Right. That's what I understand, so far. Its best to get plain STRONG first, with the big motions, with the barbell. THEN, one can go for the hypertrophy. It will take longer, but end the end, one is seriously strong.

The book I previously suggested, by the way, is more about proper form than anything else.

I have Mark Rippetoe's book Starting Strength coming from amazon.com. It should be here the 7th. That book is supposed to outline the techniques in great detail.

The Strength Trainer called me today. He can see me Saturday. He only charges $40.00 / hour to give this instruction, but, you see, this is orders of magnitude less than a doctor's care would be for a serious injury, AND I can be confident that an expert has confirmed that the motions are correct.

So, that leaves two more workouts to do before I see him. I have been trying to learn them on my own so far, and since the masses are not too heavy yet, I'm going to go ahead and lift wednesday and friday as per the schedule. I'll just not be quite so "gung ho" about it until I see him.

Then...

hehehe... rock-n-roll! w000!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
The Strength Trainer called me today. He can see me Saturday. He only charges $40.00 / hour to give this instruction, but, you see, this is orders of magnitude less than a doctor's care would be for a serious injury, AND I can be confident that an expert has confirmed that the motions are correct.

Most certainly agree that if you are going into this it is best to have a trainer a book is a good way to learn basics but when it comes to weights if you can work with a good trainer it is much better and much safer. I have seen a few self-trained "Body Builders" lifting in ways that I am certain got them hospitalized so a good trainer is always best.

Oh, and to Xue Sheng, I am user 'missleRob' on the other forum there.

Thanks, I have not been there for a long time I am not sure if my account is even still in existence there.

I will check and if it is still there I will PM you the ID.

I have been thinking about going back but not because of getting back into any serious strength training but just for advice on what little I am doing these days in my quest to check out the MA dark side a little more :EG:.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
newGuy12,

Are you doing the Natural Bodybuilding ... or the 'other'?

I am not going to take any anabolic steroids or any other such thing. I am taking some supplements, though, two of them:

1) Creatine
2) Some whey protein

That should be enough right there. Other body builders told me that everything else is just a waste of money, except maybe a multi vitamin, and they even said that that is not needed.

And, I will not take any steroid things because I value the health too much, they have adverse affects that I don't want to have.

Again, I can't get big until I get strong -- these exercises here, at 5 reps, don't increase the size too much, but they train the central nervous system to use more of the muscle fibres -- it trains the nervous system.

Of course, after the goal is reached -- squat 1.5 times my weight, then, then we will train to get BIG, and the sets will have a higher number of reps, but that is somewhere out in the nebulous future, because I am quite weak now compared to that.

OP
newGuy12

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have been thinking about going back but not because of getting back into any serious strength training but just for advice on what little I am doing these days in my quest to check out the MA dark side a little more :EG:.

Yes, but you know that this iron can be addictive! It can freaking suck you in. The next thing you know, you are committed. I am feeling that way now.

I am not so much on the Dark Side. I have seen it, in the Dojang. There are some fearful people. But the TKD is not so much evil, it has a sense of Goodness. To think only about vicious techniques, I think that can have a bad affect on the brain! Be careful that your personality does not sour! Fighting is not everything, of course. Unless one wishes to live apart from other people. That would not do for me!

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Yes, but you know that this iron can be addictive! It can freaking suck you in. The next thing you know, you are committed. I am feeling that way now.

It has got me a few times in my life but I have greater interest in MA and these days I simply do not have time for both

I am not so much on the Dark Side. I have seen it, in the Dojang. There are some fearful people. But the TKD is not so much evil, it has a sense of Goodness. To think only about vicious techniques, I think that can have a bad affect on the brain! Be careful that your personality does not sour! Fighting is not everything, of course. Unless one wishes to live apart from other people. That would not do for me!

Different dark side, I am not really being serious with the terminology but there are those that would see it as such.

To me it is just good ole fashion hard training like we use to have back in the old days when Dinosaurs where still walking around

Latest Discussions