Thoughts on the efficacy of wrist strikes?

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
You rarely see wrist strikes in any street fighting clips or UFC, if at all, anymore. At least I haven’t. The only reason I even know they exist is the 80s and 90s Kung Fu movies and some fight scenes from the Netflix Show, Marco Polo.

So why do we seldom see them used? I started experimenting with them as soon as I found out about them. I first started off conditioning the wrists by doing the wrist pushups, and then I tried to apply them in my sparring sessions. But I don’t understand the concept of them. They seem to offer considerably less range than a fist or a spearhand, and also seem much more dangerous to the applicant if used incorrectly. Do you use wrist strikes yourself? And what is/was the correct way to apply them?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Using them in sparring is pointless...you’re wearing gloves so the wrist is covered and the striking surface of your hand is covered as is the wrist

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Using them in sparring is pointless...you’re wearing gloves so the wrist is covered and the striking surface of your hand is covered as is the wrist
We do bareknuckle, body shots only sparring too

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You are talking striking from a gooseneck sort of position?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
From what I have been taught they are valid for soft targets and used in conjunction with other movements such as a setup. For example block, step in and strike the groin, neck, etc...
It would make no sense to put a wrist strike in the same category as a fist punch as a striking tool.
To answer your question, I never use them.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am not sure what you mean by gooseneck

Hold up your arm. Now face your palm down. This looks like the head and neck of a goose.

This is the type of position we try to get people into in Hapkido, because it's very easy to cause a lot of pain to the wrist if you're in this position.

I think there are very limited uses of the wrist strike. As a primary strike, not only is it shorter range and more dangerous to use, but it feels like it would be harder to generate power.

If there is a use, it's those situations where the wrist has the cleanest shot. For example, if you're too close for a backfist.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If done incorrectly, wrist strikes can screw up your wrists. If done correctly, they can be effective. They tend to be short and quick, used when you aren’t in a good position to get proper wind-up for a more “conventional” strike.

Bend the wrist forward. Then strike with the back of the wrist using a swinging motion away from the hand, not the top of the wrist using a thrusting motion. An example: You would use it similar to a horizontal backfist, but strike with the back of the wrist instead. Could also be an upward movement, under the chin.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You rarely see wrist strikes in any street fighting clips or UFC, if at all, anymore. At least I haven’t. The only reason I even know they exist is the 80s and 90s Kung Fu movies and some fight scenes from the Netflix Show, Marco Polo.

So why do we seldom see them used? I started experimenting with them as soon as I found out about them. I first started off conditioning the wrists by doing the wrist pushups, and then I tried to apply them in my sparring sessions. But I don’t understand the concept of them. They seem to offer considerably less range than a fist or a spearhand, and also seem much more dangerous to the applicant if used incorrectly. Do you use wrist strikes yourself? And what is/was the correct way to apply them?
yeah. It takes some conditioning and has a really niche application. 99.999% of the time you're better off just using a forearm smash or clothsline.

The "Spearhand" shuto is dumb too for most people. Don't get me wrong; it'll work. ...if you spend a few years properly conditioning your had for it (and risk joint damage and osteo-arthritis while you're at it). Most of us in today's world 1) won't do the necessary conditioning 2) need our fingers to work well for fine work (like typing) 3) can easily replace it with almost any other striking technique.

But there's a sort of mystique to the spearhand and the wrist strike (and phoenix-eye knuckle strike, etc.). Probably because they're unusual and way outside the bread-n-butter high-percentage striking. Rare and unusual can be interesting. But there's a reason they're rare and unusual. <shrug>

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What is/was the correct way to apply them?
It's for speed. Sometime you use your hand to pull your opponent's guard down, you don't have time to change your pulling hand into a fist, you just strike at your opponent's "nose" with the back of your pulling hand.

At the end of this 8 hand moves combo is a wrist strike.

my-PM-speed.gif

my-pm-speed-1.gif

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's for speed. Sometime you use your hand to pull your opponent's guard down, you don't have time to change your pulling hand into a fist, you just strike at your opponent's "nose" with the back of your pulling hand.

At the end of this 8 hand moves combo is a wrist strike.

my-PM-speed.gif

my-pm-speed-1.gif
Seems like a backfist would be just as applicable and more effective. It was what Jack Dempsey taught and he knew a little bit about fighting. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I can't really think of a situation where either a plain backfist or a rising backfist wouldn't be more useful.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I can't really think of a situation where either a plain backfist or a rising backfist wouldn't be more useful.
The only think I could think is if you're clinched up and the extra length would be a hindrance.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Seems like a backfist would be just as applicable and more effective. It was what Jack Dempsey taught and he knew a little bit about fighting. ;)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
IMO, the wrist strike is a bit (1/10 second?) faster than the back fist.

If you look at his left hand strike, his left hand shape has not changed.

PM-Diao.gif

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think it to be more of an unplanned contingency. It's one of those things that just plain happens from time to time so it is practiced so as to not be a surprise to the person to happens to 'use' it. I also think it more as a mental exercise in that you just use what is available. Then there is the basic structure one would use if holding a knife that can be practiced without said knife.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
IMO, the wrist strike is a bit (1/10 second?) faster than the back fist.
How do you figure that? You're talking about centrifugal movement so the fist is going to travel the same degrees of arc that the wrist does during the same time period but it's further away from the center which means that it's actually moving at a higher velocity. It will "hit" at the same time, but have a higher momentum. At that point, it's basically an Angular Momentum problem but it's been a long time since my Physics classes so I'm not about to do the math.

Nah. Honestly, I don't see a huge practicality to this technique. It looks for all the world like humans a few thousand years ago said to each other, "I bet we can hit with this bony bit too." And then the other guy said, "Yeah, that's what we've been saying for a few thousand years, but it's nothing special." Then the first guy says, "but if we codify it and give it a sexy name, we'll be famous for all eternity!" So the second guy goes, "Hells yeah!"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
How do you figure that? You're talking about centrifugal movement so the fist is going to travel the same degrees of arc that the wrist does during the same time period but it's further away from the center which means that it's actually moving at a higher velocity. It will "hit" at the same time, but have a higher momentum. At that point, it's basically an Angular Momentum problem but it's been a long time since my Physics classes so I'm not about to do the math.

Nah. Honestly, I don't see a huge practicality to this technique. It looks for all the world like humans a few thousand years ago said to each other, "I bet we can hit with this bony bit too." And then the other guy said, "Yeah, that's what we've been saying for a few thousand years, but it's nothing special." Then the first guy says, "but if we codify it and give it a sexy name, we'll be famous for all eternity!" So the second guy goes, "Hells yeah!"

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
You can get more rotation with a smaller lever.

That's why most TKD kicks have a chamber, and why you tuck your arms and knees for spin kicks.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
How do you figure that?
Let's use another example.

Your hand grab on your opponent's arm like this. Which strike will be faster?

1. Fist punch on his nose.
2. Throat hold on his neck.

IMO, 2 is faster. The reason is simple, By doing 2, your hand shape doesn't need any change.

wrist-grab-2.jpg

hand-on-throat.jpg

Last edited:

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Seems like a backfist would be just as applicable and more effective
The power generation is completely different. This is the way I learned it. If you let your wrist hang limp as if broken and wave your arm, the hand will flop back and forth. That is the snapping motion and shows the alternate palm heel block/strike snapping into a bent wrist strike/block. It will deliver a surprisingly good shock as a strike or block, and is a good set up for further technique, as it's not a fight ender.

Latest Discussions