Thoughts on the efficacy of wrist strikes?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have a good goose-neck wrist strike as I practiced it a lot as a young man. We praticed everything a lot as young men, though, didn't we.

Never used it for anything other than smashing a spider once.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can get more rotation with a smaller lever.

That's why most TKD kicks have a chamber, and why you tuck your arms and knees for spin kicks.
you missed the point. When the same degrees of angle are covered the further away from the pivot point, the greater the velocity and therefore the greater the momentum. It's simple physics. That's why you go into the curve low and out high.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's use another example.

Your hand grab on your opponent's arm like this. Which strike will be faster?

1. Fist punch on his nose.
2. Throat hold on his neck.

IMO, 2 is faster. The reason is simple, By doing 2, your hand shape doesn't need any change.

wrist-grab-2.jpg

hand-on-throat.jpg
It's actually the natural human instinct to clench the fist under stress, fear, or adrenal dump. You actually have to train yourself to not clench the fist. The moro reflex is a thing. Use it to your advantage instead of fighting against it.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
The power generation is completely different. This is the way I learned it. If you let your wrist hang limp as if broken and wave your arm, the hand will flop back and forth. That is the snapping motion and shows the alternate palm heel block/strike snapping into a bent wrist strike/block. It will deliver a surprisingly good shock as a strike or block, and is a good set up for further technique, as it's not a fight ender.
I'm a little confused by what you're suggesting here. Sounds like you are suggesting a limp-wristed backhand. I use that when I want to not hit hard.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm a little confused by what you're suggesting here. Sounds like you are suggesting a limp-wristed backhand. I use that when I want to not hit hard.
It's limp until tightened on impact, like many karate moves. Think of the end of a whip at the point it snaps. Or a snake striking. It is an actual hit, though. You can do a palm heel block, then bounce off it (reversing the hand position so the wrist is leading) and hit with the bent wrist. It's very fast and does the job.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It's limp until tightened on impact, like many karate moves. Think of the end of a whip at the point it snaps. Or a snake striking. It is an actual hit, though. You can do a palm heel block, then bounce off it (reversing the hand position so the wrist is leading) and hit with the bent wrist. It's very fast and does the job.
This remind me one of my favor moves, to use an open palm to strike horizontally across my opponent's eyes. By using 5 fingers to attack 2 eyes, the possibility that any one of my fingers may hit on one of my opponent's eyes will be high.

When you attack the weak part of the human body such as the eyes (or nose), the speed (like a whip) is more important than the power.

I believe to release 5 fingers at the end of the back wrist can be faster than the back wrist (also longer each).

Last edited:

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, yes a simple backhand. I maintain that you don't hit hard with the backhand.

If you want to use it, and it works for you, that's fine. But all the evidence I've ever seen, including my personal experience, indicates that the backhand and the restrike are, at best, niche, and, at worst, dangerous to the user.

Peace favor your sword ( mobile)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, yes a simple backhand. I maintain that you don't hit hard with the backhand.

If you want to use it, and it works for you, that's fine. But all the evidence I've ever seen, including my personal experience, indicates that the backhand and the restrike are, at best, niche, and, at worst, dangerous to the user.

Except that’s it is not a backhand. It is the back of the wrist, and the hand is bent away from the strike point.

I’ve worked it on the heavy bag, I believe it can be effective. As effective, or more effective than a back fist? I don’t know and don’t care. It’s an option, one that I believe can be effective and useful.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I believe it can be effective. As effective, or more effective than a back fist? I don’t know and don’t care. It’s an option, one that I believe can be effective and useful.
And that's good enough for me. You like it and want to use it. I kinda don't. Once we get to this point, it's kinda like the 9mm v. 45ACP debate. There's no point in arguing much past it and certainly no point in me making an enemy for it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And that's good enough for me. You like it and want to use it. I kinda don't. Once we get to this point, it's kinda like the 9mm v. 45ACP debate. There's no point in arguing much past it and certainly no point in me making an enemy for it.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk
Most definitely, sir. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

It can be used at a shorter range than a backhand. I don't think you can generate the same power at the same short distance and position with a back hand. I could be wrong. When ever I practiced them it was always from a short distance. If I was grappling where I wanted to sneak in a few strikes, then I can see myself using the technique. Then I would quickly follow up with something bigger while my opponent's brain tries to figure where the first strike came from.

For some reason I want to say that I saw someone use it as a defense from being grabbed. For example, if a person reaches for you wrist then a quick pop of the risk will bump their hand away from your wrist. Faint memory of it. so I don't remember where I saw it.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The praying mantis system uses wrist strike more than other systems.

PM-Diao-1.gif

It's even the 1st move of a PM form "5 continuous strikes - up, down, left, right, forward".

PM-start.gif

PM-start-1.gif

Last edited:

john_newman

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just hit as hard as I can with the backside of the wrist to the body spots like neck or nose.

Latest Discussions