This is bugging me

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It is a shame that so many people are just in it for the money it kind of makes it discouraging for a beginner to go to seminars after reading this thread but I have learned a lot from them. My instructor believes and I agree that you there is no right or wrong MA and that you can learn new things and new ways to apply what you already know by having guest instructors come in and give seminars. I have taken seminars on Krav Mega and kick boxing just to name a couple, I don't claim to know anything about either but I did learn valuable lessons from them.

Oh, there's not a thing wrong with seminars. Not in the aspect of learning something new. I'm all for that.

What I would watch out for is going to seminars where rank is given for going...that, IMO, is total BS.

If you go to a seminar to gain more knowledge, that you're going for the right reason. I don't understand how a rank can be given for going to a 72 hour session, especially when it takes most martial artists years to earn the same rank.

There is no such thing as a "blackbelt through osmosis". You don't get a blackbelt in Shotokan simply because you're a 1st dan in TKD. Life just doesn't work that way.

F

foggymorning162

What I would watch out for is going to seminars where rank is given for going...that, IMO, is total BS. quote]
Agreed.... We have never been given rank at a seminar nor does my instructor claim rank in any of these styles. I just felt that although everyone was making valid points I know there are those on the site who are new to MA or have not had the experience of a seminar and I didn't want anyone to get a bad taste for seminars just because a bunch of money hungry low lifes are out there trying to make a buck off of people to nieve to realise it.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you loud and clear on this. Recently, I worked out with an experienced Kenpo/JKD/Kali stylist, at least 15 years my junior, who proceeded to mention at least half-a-dozen other systems he claimed that he "knew". This included systems such as pa-qua and hsing-i. Hell, these systems are said to take a lifetime to perfect! I asked him how a man in his mid thirties who trained as a "hobby" could know so much. In a mildly condescending tone he patiently explained that once you firmly grasp the foundations of the martial arts that you can easily assimilate new forms.

Well, boy was I ever humbled. I study two arts, Wing Tsun and Escrima. They are supposed to be among the quicker arts to master. I've been studying martial arts since the mid seventies, and the truth is that I won't even master either of these in this lifetime! Gee, I wish I was as smart as that guy.
There's a difference between learning the external movements of a form -- and understanding the style, let alone mastering it. Hell, after 20+ years, I'm STILL finding new things to work on from the basics of my style!

Sure, I can probably learn the motions of tai chi or hsingyi or anything else in a weekend seminar. But to really learn and understand them would require extensive work with an instructor.

Latest Discussions